Scoreboard

Temme

Thread starter #1
Just a random thought,

Are there any plans to finish the center ice scoreboard (Or would anyone hazard a guess?

At the minute it's just, in essence, 4 large tv's stuck facing away from each other, with all wires and gaps visible :)

While we're on the subject, has anyone else noticed how the halfway red line passes through the center circle by around 1ft, but not completely through the Devils logo (Or not behind the logo either?) it just kind of stops randomly.

Just a couple of random thoughts for the off season maybe :)

august04

That dead panel is very annoying, just a giant black flickering square!
It`s amazed me that the scoreboard has remained in an unfinished state for so long. The corner insert slots on each giant tv screen are there, just needs what I assume is some kind of plastic insert in each corner to complete it. Those 4 corner pieces you would think would be prime advertising spaces - surely would pay for themselves in no time at all.

wildthing74

It really shouldn't but the screens have bothered me since we have been in IAW. I can't believe the corners weren't at least filled in like any other scoreboard so it doesn't look like just 4 TVs plus it's prime advertising space as everybody looks at that area constantly all night.

Not quite the £750k jumbotron that the then manager kept talking about.

It might not be the most important thing to sort in the rink but it will be a welcome sight to see it looking more professional hopefully next season.

Kevlar68

It wouldn't take much surely for some upvc panels to angle between the screens, lightweight, easy to fix in, printable, doesn't have to be fancy just tidy.

Ocko

The scoreboard has always wound me up. Such an easy fix and has always looked unfinished. Not just the sides but also underneath. All those wires need hiding.

Paul Sullivan

Hi all. Couple of quick answers:

The 'gaps' were never for speakers, they were for panels. Not sure why they weren't done on the original install but I'm sure the Club / IAW are looking at it.

The faulty panels on the team bench side are due, I believe, to an addressing issue, which is something the 'brain' of the system handles, in the DJ room. It needs an engineer logged into it on site to fix. I know this has been requested. I know it looks like it's the speakers doing it, but I promise it isn't.

Discussions have and are taking place on matters A/V. I'm hoping we will be able to improve everyone's experience even if just a little, if not by Sunday then for the future. Trouble with A/V is, it's easily the most expensive thing to add / improve upon, so it may be step by step as budget and need dictates. I'd love the Montreal jumbotron and on ice projection too, but I have to be a little more realistic :D

Devil_Abroad

Hi all. Couple of quick answers:

The 'gaps' were never for speakers, they were for panels. Not sure why they weren't done on the original install but I'm sure the Club / IAW are looking at it.

The faulty panels on the team bench side are due, I believe, to an addressing issue, which is something the 'brain' of the system handles, in the DJ room. It needs an engineer logged into it on site to fix. I know this has been requested. I know it looks like it's the speakers doing it, but I promise it isn't.

Discussions have and are taking place on matters A/V. I'm hoping we will be able to improve everyone's experience even if just a little, if not by Sunday then for the future. Trouble with A/V is, it's easily the most expensive thing to add / improve upon, so it may be step by step as budget and need dictates. I'd love the Montreal jumbotron and on ice projection too, but I have to be a little more realistic :D
There had been concern that speakers were only placed at centre ice and whether this was suitable for those at either end of the arena to hear announcements. Thankfully the mic level isn’t set too high and therefore no distortion occurs which leads to clarity at either end (also helps that the announcers don’t shout unlike in many other arenas I’m not going to mention). Applause.

However, are IAW considering placing more speakers around the arena in due course?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul Sullivan

I can't and wouldn't speak for the arena or the Devils, but I can tell you that in a building our size a centrally mounted PA is the preferred option, in the opinion of the expert I consulted prior to the building even being built, when I was kindly invited to the meeting with the eventual installation company.

The main acoustic issues in the building are all the hard, reflective surfaces. So whether you realise or not, depending on where you sit, you can get 100% of your audio directly from the PA, or a small amount delayed that has bounced back to you off the back walls, and also the plexi plays a role if you are at ice level. It would theoretically be possible to add additional speakers on the perimeter, but frankly you then have other significant delay issues also...

I'd love to have a few more speakers on the PA system, probable fill in the 'corner' gaps, and double the amount. Also additional bass bins could be located elsewhere (bass is for the most part non-directional) but as referenced earlier, these things sadly don't come in cereal boxes and there are (I don't know, I'm not on the council or the Arena / Devils staff) more pressing, more rewarding and more necessary services and facilities needed in the building than more toys for me.:)

It is something that is discussed though, and not off the radar. Todd wants the best possible experience for everyone, and I am very lucky that he likes to put on a good show.

Our ownership and management group never settle for standing still in anything, so I have faith we will see improvements in a lot of areas. Simple but effective changes like the new till system and wifi for example, are huge strides in short time frames.

Things really don't suck right now imho.

Oh - thanks for the comments about mic level. We do try and we do listen and test.

I know it's nothing to do with the score board but I put this on the fan council thread but I wasn't sure if that was the right place:

"I have no idea if this is a fan council thing or not but something that's really started to bug me are the lights over the changing room doors, those are pretty decent lights and are completely wasted where they are, their field of vision is literally the width of the tunnel.

If they were placed between the scoreboard and banners they could have much more of an effect on the match night experience, again a completely minor thing, maybe not something for Todd but Paul Sullivan and the match night team."

I wonder if moving these lights (if possible) could mean they become a bigger part of the intro and "go nuts" when we score a goal?

Paul Sullivan

They were originally placed there for a very deliberate and specific reason.
Todd wanted the team to be shielded from view until they were announced. It was difficult to do this with a physical 'tunnel' so the decision was taken to create a 'curtain' of smoke.

In order to make the smoke effect more opaque, it needed to be backlit. This meant we needed more control over the direction of the lights so movers were installed. It worked well, but recent feedback on the smoke itself was negative so we removed that element. Due to costs of relocating the movers to the ceiling (manpower, cherry picker etc) they have remained en situ even without the smoke.

Originally it was hoped the installation in the pro pad would include several movers in the ceiling, however this never came to pass for some reason or other.

The movers are one of the many things I will be looking at come the off season. Hopefully that explains it.

Hedd Wyn John

There had been concern that speakers were only placed at centre ice and whether this was suitable for those at either end of the arena to hear announcements. Thankfully the mic level isn’t set too high and therefore no distortion occurs which leads to clarity at either end (also helps that the announcers don’t shout unlike in many other arenas I’m not going to mention). Applause.

However, are IAW considering placing more speakers around the arena in due course?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If that means reducing the volume on the centre speakers I hope so. It would be interesting what the decibel level in the arena because at times I’ve personally brought in ear plugs because I’ve found the volume to be very loud.

The_Puck

If that means reducing the volume on the centre speakers I hope so. It would be interesting what the decibel level in the arena because at times I’ve personally brought in ear plugs because I’ve found the volume to be very loud.
If anything, the volume isn’t loud enough and needs to be increased a fair bit.

Hedd Wyn John

i'm in the "its not loud enough" camp, it must depend where you sit!
Block 20 row G so relatively close but not the closest by any means. I’d have serious concerns about health & safety if the volume was increased. When a heavy rock song is being played it is LOUD. I have brought ear plugs in the past but I find them really uncomfortable to wear. However I’ve found a decent beanie hat over my ears does an ok job at muffling some of the noise.

For the last couple of games my daughter and I have been sat in row A in block 20 and I must say that it is very hard to hear the announcements