The End of the Edinburgh Capitals

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....s-hand-group-wins-ice-rink-contract-1-4724718

Murrayfield Racers look set to make a comeback but will they be accepted into the Elite. On one hand (no pun intended) I fail to see how they can do a worse job than Scott Neil has with the Caps, but on the other it leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth over the way its been done, and also some of the Hands less auspicious moves in the past (Tony's dealings with the Phoenix sham for example)

I see this being similar to the reincarnation of the Manchester Storm.

This could be the thing EIHL in Edinburgh needed. Big target market to hit. Could work.

Time will tell I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gospel

Something had to change as the Caps have had ample opportunity of the last 4/5 years to progress but haven't, in fact they've gone backwards. Hopefully the Racers can get back to their former glory and can be competitive for the league.

I have fond memories of the Racers so it'll be good to see them back.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #4
I agree something had to happen. Caps have been dire for a number of years and every year in the offseason the same promises are made of it being different the following year to con the fans out of season ticket money. I do hope that it doesn't split the fanbase further as there are a number of caps fans who seem to indicate they wont go to Racers games (just like Phoenix fans) but its such a small fanbase already who does that leave. Hopefully the name of Murrayfield Racers can bring back some old fans but Racers have been gone a lot longer than Storm had.

Gospel

They might have been gone longer but they were around before the Storm. They have won the old leagues, they were in the BHL and im pretty certain that more people will know about Murrayfield Racers than the Caps. Lets hope the Hands can deliver what they say.

Another twist could be that the EIHL refuse to give them a place in the league! That really would screw things up but they must have had some kind of initial contact.

Gazza272

They might have been gone longer but they were around before the Storm. They have won the old leagues, they were in the BHL and im pretty certain that more people will know about Murrayfield Racers than the Caps. Lets hope the Hands can deliver what they say.

Another twist could be that the EIHL refuse to give them a place in the league! That really would screw things up but they must have had some kind of initial contact.
It's an interesting situation really. I feel the Caps fans will try and pose the EIHL as the villain here, but what exactly can they do in this situation?

The Ice rink have clearly run out of patience with Scott Neil, the only thing the league can do is allow the Racers in.

Gospel

I cant see how the EIHL can be made the villain (for a change!) here. The arena have made the decision not the EIHL and unless the Caps find a new arena they wont be skating so, as you say the EIHL has no real alternative but the let the Racers back in.

Wannabe2

It's an interesting situation really. I feel the Caps fans will try and pose the EIHL as the villain here, but what exactly can they do in this situation?

The Ice rink have clearly run out of patience with Scott Neil, the only thing the league can do is allow the Racers in.
Or allow Hull into the fold.????

Wannabe2

With all due respect the Caps have been dead for years, now that’s not a nice thing to hear if it’s your team, but the league for awhile have been poorer having the Caps in it. It has unbalanced the league, made a bit of a mockery to Home and away fans, and generally been unfortunately a joke. Now that comment sucks when you think how strong and how respected a team playing out of Edinburgh were once, unfortunately the main word is Once. So what happens now, surely the Murrayfield Rink and the EIHL have been negotiating for awhile, the league would need reassurances that the club is viable, along with the Rink ownership, to me this surely is the last chance saloon, no one can continue to make a fiasco out of the league, or take good hockey fans on a dead end trip. Tony Hand is respected throughout the whole of the UK, some may know different but the majority hold him in high esteem, and surely you would have to be on a suicide mission to gamble with destroying that reputation. We all hope whatever happens is good for the league, and more importantly good for those wonderful Edinburgh fans, we all know about hard times in Cardiff. Fingers and toes crossed this is a direction that will help and enhance the good name of ice hockey in Edinburgh.

Foxy

Not sure I’d like to have them in the league if they’re so willing to stab another team in the back so easily.......

tim78

I wonder if it's time for the EIHL to have a 2nd tier with a smaller number of imports more brit opportunity. There are plenty of teams that could make the cut (Telford, Romford, Blackburn, Solihull, Hull, Whitley Bay, Paisley, Murrayfield, Basingstoke, Bracknell, Lee Valley).

Also increase the challenge cup to all teams.

Would also like to see a play down competition like in the Heineken days and replace the 3/4 playoff with the playdown final.

Chris

Administrator
Tony Hand is respected throughout the whole of the UK, some may know different but the majority hold him in high esteem, and surely you would have to be on a suicide mission to gamble with destroying that reputation. We all hope whatever happens is good for the league, and more importantly good for those wonderful Edinburgh fans, we all know about hard times in Cardiff. Fingers and toes crossed this is a direction that will help and enhance the good name of ice hockey in Edinburgh.
I'm not sure that is true at all following his actions with the Manchester Phoenix as their fans were led down the garden path by Neil Morris and others...

Once upon a time yes, but Tony Hand has lost an awful lot of respect through his actions, or perhaps inaction.

Wannabe2

I'm not sure that is true at all following his actions with the Manchester Phoenix as their fans were led down the garden path by Neil Morris and others...

Once upon a time yes, but Tony Hand has lost an awful lot of respect through his actions, or perhaps inaction.
Then that’s a great shame James, I don’t know the ins and outs about Manchester, and maybe a bit naive in my comments. Just hope that whatever comes out of Edinburgh is a good move for the league, but more importantly good for the fans. Don’t get what the high is taking a club into a crap situation.

Jay King from Capitals Twitter.

With the recent news I would like to thank @scottcapitals8 and the @edcapitals for taking the chance on me at 16!, for that I’m very thankful and I owe Scott and the team a lot so I’ve decided with no caps and no Scott at murrayfield I won’t be there ether #GoCapsGo

voth26

Might be a bit of a stupid post, but wouldn't the Caps have been better off if they had been taken over by Hands group, like the Devils were??, that way they could have stayed in the EIHL as the caps with good financial backing or is that to simple?

Gazza272

Might be a bit of a stupid post, but wouldn't the Caps have been better off if they had been taken over by Hands group, like the Devils were??, that way they could have stayed in the EIHL as the caps with good financial backing or is that to simple?

Scott Neil has rebuffed many take over offers over the years.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #20
If there's one person who's made money out of the Caps its Scott Neil. Rumour is he's made a very tidy amount from them over the years. The money certainly doesn't make it to the ice.