Those not coming back

Devil_Abroad

Thread starter #1
Pure speculation but I guess most believe that Reddick will be back. Indeed Todd stressed in public conversation to fans he will be a Devil for years to come

As for Crowder and Asselin it feels like they are retiring as if they’re not coming back, no announcement elsewhere, and no announcement by the club then surely retirement it is for them both and this will be announced by the club once the new players are announced

This could also be the case for Strachan of course were it not for his age and his talent. If he is destined elsewhere then maybe both clubs have agreed not to disclose until Devils are ready to announce a replacement? Or maybe it’s the same for Strachan as it was for Hotham every year? There is an agreement in place for him to return but he has until early August to seek other opportunities, maybe in Europe?

My hope is the latter and if so then we will have 2 returnees, 2 new forwards and 1 new D man

Again, I stress, pure speculation on my behalf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

The essential player of those names is Strachs. A player of such influence and experience - the real deal.Think everyone would love to see him return but we can live in hope.

Rumours suggest Reddick will return and Asselin/Crowder might retire. If that is the case, hope the Club uses the opportunity to bring in replacements who can demonstrate more consistency in games.

Last edited:

Ocko

The Hotham waiting until August agreement was never in place, he was always coming back every year. He didn’t want to play anywhere else, he didn’t want to play in the DEL despite offers. If he played in a better league he’d have to be in the gym every day, train harder etc. Plus we would never of waited until August to know if our number one D man was going elsewhere.

I’d be amazed if Strachan isn’t coming back. He hasn’t finished his MBA yet and won’t until a few months into the season. He hasn’t signed anywhere yet, so why not? Everyone is just assuming he isn’t coming back and I haven’t a clue why. He struggled to find a deal prior to coming to us, playing in the EIHL is hardly going to make the offers flood in either. He’s either retiring or coming back for me.

ASHIPP

I would be very suprised if Strachs hadn't received interest from other clubs before or after his season at the Devils - perhaps he simply hadn't received the right offer?

There are many examples of former NHL AND other players going to very good leagues after their time in the Elite League. Guy Lepine played for AHL Binghampton Senators. Craig Weller went on to play in the DEL and EBEL. Evan Mosey was selected by AHL Rockford IceHogs after one season over here to give examples of each.

Let's keep our fingers crossed Strachs will be returning.

Wannabe2

The Hotham waiting until August agreement was never in place, he was always coming back every year. He didn’t want to play anywhere else, he didn’t want to play in the DEL despite offers. If he played in a better league he’d have to be in the gym every day, train harder etc. Plus we would never of waited until August to know if our number one D man was going elsewhere.

I’d be amazed if Strachan isn’t coming back. He hasn’t finished his MBA yet and won’t until a few months into the season. He hasn’t signed anywhere yet, so why not? Everyone is just assuming he isn’t coming back and I haven’t a clue why. He struggled to find a deal prior to coming to us, playing in the EIHL is hardly going to make the offers flood in either. He’s either retiring or coming back for me.
That is so informative, and makes complete common sense, hopefully Strachan will return ( the real one that is ) as he is a huge asset to our team, and the Hotham explanation was one I never thought about, but was obviously the case. Cheers Ocko for that, so some great signings still to be released, how exciting is that, and it all kicks off shortly.

BostonBart22

Seems strange Hotham hasnt been picked up yet, he maybe taking time out after getting married maybe, or maybe waiting for a return to us around xmas.. just a thought..

Kevlar68

With Hotham Gone and Strach looking likely as not returning the recruitment for the replacements must be a nightmare. You wouldn't want to take a step back and finding 2 players of equal or better quality i would thought is going to be a true test.

Rich Best

I think Todd (or Lord?) has pretty admitted you can't replace hotham. You need all other D men to step up their points tally's to make up for the loss of assists and goals. Makes sense to me. I have been watching 25 years and hoth was the best.

Ocko

With Hotham Gone and Strach looking likely as not returning the recruitment for the replacements must be a nightmare. You wouldn't want to take a step back and finding 2 players of equal or better quality i would thought is going to be a true test.
Why is Strachan not looking likely?

SteveKing

I think it's really difficult (and probably not that smart) to compare individual players from one year to the next. The key is to build the best team. So for this year, Lordo is quite right that you can't replace Hotham straight up. That doesn't mean that our team will necessarily be worse. Hoth was one of our highest paid players so bringing in someone younger that has the potential to become the next Hoth but doesn't cost quite as much allows us to spend more money in other areas and hopefully the whole package ends up being better. From looking at our team for this year, I firmly believe that that will be the case.

Wannabe2

I think it's really difficult (and probably not that smart) to compare individual players from one year to the next. The key is to build the best team. So for this year, Lordo is quite right that you can't replace Hotham straight up. That doesn't mean that our team will necessarily be worse. Hoth was one of our highest paid players so bringing in someone younger that has the potential to become the next Hoth but doesn't cost quite as much allows us to spend more money in other areas and hopefully the whole package ends up being better. From looking at our team for this year, I firmly believe that that will be the case.
It must be the case, otherwise we are going backwards, and our club no longer goes backwards, those are past story’s. We won’t go backwards losing 1/2 players, they may be hard to replace, but they are all replaceable, all of them. History doesn’t lie, they are all replaceable. Great feeling to know one goes out, and one comes in.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

I agree with Steve - it’s important not to look at ‘like for like’ with Hotham’s replacement. If he puts up 30 points (rather than 60 odd), but the extra salary can go towards more scoring depth in the forwards and/or a stronger D core generally, it will have been a shrewd move. After all, although we all know how magic Hoth is, if the ability to allocate salary to other positions results in 20 more goals scored, or 20 fewer goals conceded, over the course of the season, that might equate to 5-10 more wins overall. Ultimately, that is all that matters. The team doesn’t need superstars if the collective unit keeps getting stronger as a whole.