LAST NIGHTS AWARDS

d20

Thread starter #1
Didnt go to them but hearing good things especially regards some of the things players said and Lord and Kelmans speeches ,can anyone who went elaborate a bit more for those of us who weren't there .

Temme

I wasn't there, but for those without Twitter access:

Top point scorer: Charles Linglet
D man of the year: Gleason Fournier
Forward of the year: Joey Martin - "This organisation means everything to me. I feel like Cardiff is my second home and i feel almost proper Welsh now."
Anthony Hard Memorial Award: Ben Scanlan
Red Army Travel award: Stephen Dixon
Fan Favourite: Evan Mosey
Devil in the community: Sam Duggan
Unsung Hero: Thomas Murdy
Scott Matzka memorial award ("a player that echoes what Matzka did on and off the ice": Matthew Myers
Players player of the year: Stephen Dixon
Coach's player of the year: Mark Louis
MVP: Gleason Fournier - "I thought i'd just come here and do school and retire but i began to love hockey again here because i was playing for this great orgnanisation with this great group of guys and it's really changed my life."

Temme

Couple of things i'd say;
Stephen Dixon is the best 2 way player i've seen in a Devils uniform & it's fantastic to see the team vote him in as their player of the year. Sorry Chris Culligan & i'll probably get a bit of heat for that one. He also deserves an award for "consistently the wettest jersey".

Anthony Hard memorial award - could someone please educate me as to what this award is? There wasn't any information on twitter and i feel pretty ignorant not knowing, either way congratulations to Ben for picking this up & getting some sort of recognition.

Just goes to show the strength of the team when guys like Reddick, Scheistel, Bentivoglio, Hedden are not able to pick up awards despite being first liners on most other teams!!!

Diablo3

Reading Twitter there were some great comments from the players collecting awards and a great speech from Tod. I don't know if it was recorded, but it would be great to see it for those who didn't attend. If not, note to the Devils, please record it next time...

backrow

Temme said, Couple of things i'd say;
Stephen Dixon is the best 2 way player i've seen in a Devils uniform & it's fantastic to see the team vote him in as their player of the year. Sorry Chris Culligan & i'll probably get a bit of heat for that one. He also deserves an award for "consistently the wettest jersey".

Interesting fact that Culli and Stephen were teammates with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, Stephen was Captain and Culli a 16 year old rookie. Culli was Captain of the team in his 20 year old season and finished as the Eagles All Time leading scorer in both regular season play and the playoffs. They both were well deserved winners of Players, Player of the Year and great two way players and team first players. It's too bad they missed playing together with the Devils by 2 seasons.

It's not a bad thing that they have been compared!

Paul Sullivan

I can't do them justice and I won't try to be verbatim but the very short versions of the speeches are:

Lordo - talked about the heartbreaking end to the season but said, and reinforced several times, how much hard work each and every player had put in to get to this final weekend with the chance for another success. A great, frank, passionate speech that was clearly all about his players and the respect he has for them as a group and individuals.

Todd - this was mostly on two fronts. One was him talking about how much everyone involved in the organisation cares about the Club, the fans and achieving success. He asked us all to remember that everyone on the inside, not just the stands, is hurting after Sunday. He also then made a plea for us all to unite and pull together for the playoffs.

As I said - this in no way does either justice but it is the gist.

I have never seen a finer speech than Todd's in my 30 years as a Devil. I can't even skate and I was ready to lace them up.

As has been pointed out on twitter, over the last five years we are just 5 points over all those seasons from being five-time back to back EIHL Champions. That following a 9th placed finish and a dismal outlook. Sunday was torturous, but in context? There's a lot to love now more than ever.

Last edited:

mjh

Thanks for that Paul. Good to hear. Despite being disappointed about last weekend....I just love hockey and am so glad we have such a great club in my home town. Excited for the playoffs and the chance to put a few things right. Excited about next season too and where that will take us.

Diablo3

Thanks for that Paul. Good to hear. Despite being disappointed about last weekend....I just love hockey and am so glad we have such a great club in my home town. Excited for the playoffs and the chance to put a few things right. Excited about next season too and where that will take us.
I second the sentiment. The guys have been awesome this year regardless of where we finished. Shame I can't be here for the playoffs, I'll try catching the streams, but come September, I will be sat, front row waiting for the season to kick off.

OJLloyd

I just read what I’m assuming is Fie’s synopsis of Todd’s speech, and it’s got me pretty pumped up on the train home.

Yup I’m devastated about last weekend, but not just for me. We feel bad, imagine how the guys who played through injuries, at times literally fought and went to war for us, for the badge, feel. I’ve played sports and lost big games. It makes you want to crawl in to a hole for the rest of your life.

I fully intend this weekend to let the players know that they’re still our team, and that once a Devil, always a Devil isn’t just something we say in the good times.

Bring on those traffic cones, and lets run straight over them boys!

I can't do them justice and I won't try to be verbatim but the very short versions of the speeches are:

Lordo - talked about the heartbreaking end to the season but said, and reinforced several times, how much hard work each and every player had put in to get to this final weekend with the chance for another success. A great, frank, passionate speech that was clearly all about his players and the respect he has for them as a group and individuals.

Todd - this was mostly on two fronts. One was him talking about how much everyone involved in the organisation cares about the Club, the fans and achieving success. He asked us all to remember that everyone on the inside, not just the stands, is hurting after Sunday. He also then made a plea for us all to unite and pull together for the playoffs.

I have never seen a finer speech than Todd's in my 30 years as a Devil. I can't even skate and I was ready to lace them up.

As has been pointed out on twitter, over the last five years we are just 5 points over all those seasons from being five-time back to back EIHL Champions. That following a 9th placed finish and a dismal outlook. Sunday was torturous, but in context? There's a lot to love now more than ever.
Will there be a highlight reel from awards at all?

Samael

I fully intend this weekend to let the players know that they’re still our team, and that once a Devil, always a Devil isn’t just something we say in the good times.
This. 100% This.

Also thanks for paraphrasing Andrew and Todd's speeches Paul. I always find what Todd has to say very inciteful.

Rich Best

Well said as always Paul, thank you.

mweller

Dai Sport has a good write up: http://www.dai-sport.com/todd-kelma...standing-ovation-cardiff-devils-awards-night/

The quotes from Kelman and King really worry me - Devils fans are getting a reputation as the whingiest, most ungrateful, most entitled and nastiest in the league. If it hasn't already then it will start putting players off, and one day the owners will go "sod this, it's not fun anymore". It's not just a matter of disagreeing with those who take pleasure in attacking the club, they are actually causing the club harm by creating a toxic atmosphere. I think the rest of us have a duty to call it out, and make sure it's not acceptable.

Wannabe2

98% of devils fans appreciate, love, embrace, and are on board with what we are all trying to accomplish here, let’s not be judged on the actions of a few Morons, probably not even 2%. We win together, we lose together, we get the highs together, we get the lows together. It’s called being a club that cares, and that’s exactly what we are, A CLUB THAT CARES, Our great owners took a gamble on us, they were pleased and happy with what we are about, and we are still about those values. We now move forward as one Army, our Army, and there’s great times ahead for us all, let’s embrace what we have, history is history and we have loads more to make. We are a family at the end of the day, that’s what will always make us great.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

mweller

98% of devils fans appreciate, love, embrace, and are on board with what we are all trying to accomplish here, let’s not be judged on the actions of a few Morons, probably not even 2%. We win together, we lose together, we get the highs together, we get the lows together. It’s called being a club that cares, and that’s exactly what we are, A CLUB THAT CARES, Our great owners took a gamble on us, they were pleased and happy with what we are about, and we are still about those values. We now move forward as one Army, our Army, and there’s great times ahead for us all, let’s embrace what we have, history is history and we have loads more to make. We are a family at the end of the day, that’s what will always make us great.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
I agree but it's clear from that piece, and from what the players have said during the season, that simply saying "it's a minority" isn't enough now, I think we need to take more positive action (although I'm not sure what that is). I've seen ppl saying they don't want to renew season tickets because they're fed up with the idiots, they're sucking all the fun out of the game. How do we combat that?

It genuinely saddens me to read something like this. Yes it hurts but we cant all win everything every year as nice as that would be. We can't doubt the owners, Todd, Lordo or any player. They've gone toe to toe with the best this league has to offer for 5 years and came within 5 pts from 5 straight titles.... In my eyes that is epic. Roll on playoffs

Samael

Dai Sport has a good write up: http://www.dai-sport.com/todd-kelma...standing-ovation-cardiff-devils-awards-night/

The quotes from Kelman and King really worry me - Devils fans are getting a reputation as the whingiest, most ungrateful, most entitled and nastiest in the league. If it hasn't already then it will start putting players off, and one day the owners will go "sod this, it's not fun anymore". It's not just a matter of disagreeing with those who take pleasure in attacking the club, they are actually causing the club harm by creating a toxic atmosphere. I think the rest of us have a duty to call it out, and make sure it's not acceptable.
This also concerns me. It's a big tell that Steve King hasn't posted in a while, and while we know he's a busy man his silence speaks volumes (and no that isnt me trying to "call him out" and get him to post here). I have recently made an account over on the Nottingham forum and felt compelled to post there that the level of arrogance posted on the inferno (I can't comment on other social media as I dont use it) this year made me quite sick. People have very short memories it would seem. This fanbase right now doesnt know it's born. We used to have self serving muppets like Ragan and Brent Pope at the helm and now look at the professional set up and actual CARE by a talented and generous mangement team we have. People complaining this year about petty nonsense like the method in which playoff tickets are sold, 4pm faceoffs, cake being eaten in the rink etc is shocking. And no, I'm not an innocent in all this as I too have been critical of our participation in the CHL and lack of youth development.

We as a fanbase are on thin ice and there are far too many 'spoilt brats' both new and old fans. Despite some people plucking statisics of 98% out of their arse. Perhaps this years league heartbreak will restore some humility to the fans.

Devilsatw

Try being a panthers fan or steelers fan for the last 2 years or more.. they slate every player they have signed they moan about every result even when they win.

It happens