Isolation ice hockey fantasy viewing.

jenks33

That London Knights comeback was brilliant. The only reason I would leave it off my list of favourite games is we stunk that season. I don’t look back at that season with much fondness at all, we had at least 5 or 6 players that weren’t good enough or were past it and I think we ended up 7th in the league. I know we’re talking about one off games but I could never pick a game from our disaster of a 1999/00 season.

I was 14 at the time and I remember the game fairly well. It was definitely a midweek game, might have been a Thursday night so the atmosphere wasn’t great anyway. Then at 0-5 down it was possibly the flattest atmosphere I’d ever experienced at WNIR. I think Chinny’s fight was against Shawn Wansborough and it certainly lifted the crowd. I remember Mcsorley replacing Trevor Robins with Mark Cavallin after a few goals and then Robins came back in 5 minutes later after cavallin had let in a couple. As you can imagine the devils fans loved it.

Wannabe2

Don’t think I would have been so thrilled if I had been 14 in fairness, And you say you remember the game fairly well, being 14 maybe you weren’t as transfixed as others, so not soaking up the atmosphere that was most certainly there when we were scoring If the devils were 5-0 down in the Viola the atmosphere would be pretty flat don’t you think. You say the comeback was brilliant as it surely was, and to me and probably many others it was truly a belter. Plus if we stunk that season and come back from 5 -0 down that is a huge achievement as opposed to being a favourite or similar. Anyway it’s in my top 3, stay safe everyone.

jenks33

Don’t think I would have been so thrilled if I had been 14 in fairness, And you say you remember the game fairly well, being 14 maybe you weren’t as transfixed as others, so not soaking up the atmosphere that was most certainly there when we were scoring If the devils were 5-0 down in the Viola the atmosphere would be pretty flat don’t you think. You say the comeback was brilliant as it surely was, and to me and probably many others it was truly a belter. Plus if we stunk that season and come back from 5 -0 down that is a huge achievement as opposed to being a favourite or similar. Anyway it’s in my top 3, stay safe everyone.
There’s no doubting it was a great comeback and I’ve got no issues with people picking this game. If we’re allowed to pick 3 devils game of all time though I’d rather sit there and watch a great devils team that gave me great memories.

Gillingham, Brill, Barklund, Durdle, Lundback, Jardemyr don’t give me great memories.

jenks33

One thing I will say about that London Knights comeback is it’s probably the most exciting period of hockey I’ve seen from a devils team. Didn’t we score all six goals in the 2nd period? The first period was a shambles and the 3rd period was scoreless as far as I can remember. That 2nd period was unbelievable though

Wannabe2

We are talking games here not squads, there were also many more players in that squad that were very very good players, you just mention the mediocre ones that with a budget cut was always going to happen. That was our team that season, and as fans we stuck with them isn’t that what we are supposed to do. We didn’t have a squad of all belters the season just gone.

jenks33

We are talking games here not squads, there were also many more players in that squad that were very very good players, you just mention the mediocre ones that with a budget cut was always going to happen. That was our team that season, and as fans we stuck with them isn’t that what we are supposed to do. We didn’t have a squad of all belters the season just gone.
Exactly if we’re talking about games then surely we should be looking at the whole game no? Weren’t we 0-3 or 0-4 down after the first period? And we weren’t unlucky we were awful. Then it was 6-5 after two periods and then the third period was scoreless.
As I said in my last post though if we’re talking about best periods then that 2nd period is certainly up there. To come back from 0-5 down in a period is unbelievable.
And your last point about us not having a squad of belters this season? Yes but we were top of the league. My point was I didn’t want to pick a game from a season where we finished 7th out of 8!
As I said earlier though I’ve got no issues with people picking this match. There’s no right or wrong is there, it’s all opinions. I just gave my opinion why I would never pick a game from a season where we were generally awful. It just doesn’t sit well with me

jenks33

You’re right though, the budget cuts were very frustrating that season as some of my favourite devils players of all time were on that roster. Herlofsky, Lyle, Schuler, Evans, Matulik, Thornton, Sacratini, Moria, McIntyre were all fantastic players. We just didn’t have that strength in depth

Wannabe2

Goal 1 Matulik
Goal 2 Chinn
Goal 3 Brill
Goal 4 Brill
Goal 5 Moria
Goak 6 Sacratini
You’re right though, the budget cuts were very frustrating that season as some of my favourite devils players of all time were on that roster. Herlofsky, Lyle, Schuler, Evans, Matulik, Thornton, Sacratini, Moria, McIntyre were all fantastic players. We just didn’t have that strength in depth
plus Chinn
plus Priest
plus Stone
All a question of balance.

moggy#9

There’s no doubting it was a great comeback and I’ve got no issues with people picking this game. If we’re allowed to pick 3 devils game of all time though I’d rather sit there and watch a great devils team that gave me great memories.

Gillingham, Brill, Barklund, Durdle, Lundback, Jardemyr don’t give me great memories.
That was an awful year. Brill wasn't the worst import we ever had (Robert milette), but he is probably high on the list. I think he only scored one goal all season ( or maybe it just felt like it), yet he was supposedly a top player when we signed him. I can't quite remember if we had Rick strachen that season to add to the catalogue of infamy.

jenks33

That was an awful year. Brill wasn't the worst import we ever had (Robert milette), but he is probably high on the list. I think he only scored one goal all season ( or maybe it just felt like it), yet he was supposedly a top player when we signed him. I can't quite remember if we had Rick strachen that season to add to the catalogue of infamy.
Yep, Brill was poor. He actually scored 2 in the 6-5 comeback vs London but only managed 3 goals in the other 41 league games. Strachan came the following season.

Gazr76

Wasn’t it untrue buddy, McSorely on the London bench was going ballistic, the Knights players didn’t know what hit them, the crowd could be heard in the London Arena. We all have some Great memories and rightly so,but to be 5-0 down and playing garbage to turn that thing around was nothing short of a Miracle On Ice, and it all began with a good old hockey fight, stay safe guys and again great thread Kev. Lots more to come guys.
Glynn was this game filmed?

Kevlar68

Thread starter #35
Be cool if it was. I'd show some classic games in bar on big screen before face off of games if I was the bar manager.
The new fans from this era would also get to see the history of the club and where it's come from.

Last edited:
Game that sticks in my mind as most probably my first memory of the devils.Is the first all wales clash with deeside.Did it or did it not go in

terry hunt

So much junk on TV i switched over to S4C on the 4th to watch an old concert.
Programme was called CAMGYMERIAD GWYCH.I am not a welsh speaker but really enjoyed the music from 20yrs ago.
james dean bradfield,cerys mathews with catatonia john cale of the velvets,super furry animalsetc.
I am curious about one segment when a clip of the Devils was played during the track with Mo and Hurley in slow motion.What was the relevance ? Can any welsh speakers tell me.
This programme is still available on S4C/Clic