20/21 Squad

https://theahl.com/ahl-cancels-remainder-of-season

"The AHL’s standings – sorted by points percentage – and statistics as of March 12, 2020, are considered final and official, and will serve as the basis for determining league awards for the 2019-20 season."

Bad example Claret. If we were to follow the AHL the Devils would be league champions.
https://theahl.com/ahl-cancels-remainder-of-season

"The AHL’s standings – sorted by points percentage – and statistics as of March 12, 2020, are considered final and official, and will serve as the basis for determining league awards for the 2019-20 season."

Bad example Claret. If we were to follow the AHL the Devils would be league champions.
Calder Cup is the Main title......league here is main title, that's the comparison

Northern Ireland government have said competitive sports will "hopefully" be back by December.
Starting to think there might be no point for any type of 2020-2021 season. Can't see how it can be viable for a league like ours.
i agree, but keeping players and fans safe is far more important in the greater scheme of thing

Devil94

So why did you mention the AHL? Steve said "Other leagues have looked for every possible way to declare a champion. Our league has gone the other way."
You replied "not this one"
But the AHL literally yesterday announced the Milwaukee Admirals as champions.

Devil94

i agree, but keeping players and fans safe is far more important in the greater scheme of thing
Absolutley, but would hope that if this is the case that the league announces it in good time. Many clubs dont have the resources or flexibility to survive the uncertainty and what ifs.

Kevin roog

on my timeline on twitter, if there’s any mention of the devils you can guarantee there’s loads of Belfast fans haunting the thread, I think they might be obsessed by Cardiff , I wonder if Belfast’s fans forum gets devils fans on there

Temme

on my timeline on twitter, if there’s any mention of the devils you can guarantee there’s loads of Belfast fans haunting the thread, I think they might be obsessed by Cardiff , I wonder if Belfast’s fans forum gets devils fans on there
Belfast have a forum?

Have Hope#35

So why did you mention the AHL? Steve said "Other leagues have looked for every possible way to declare a champion. Our league has gone the other way."
You replied "not this one"
But the AHL literally yesterday announced the Milwaukee Admirals as champions.
Looks like they didn't even bother to read the article they took the time to share! Using something against our owner that actually backs up his argument!

kingmo19.1

Devils would have won the league last season as well if the season had finished early, but that never seems to be mentioned when your owner makes post like "90% of the games that were played, are far more important than the 10% that were not"
hahaha....you have won two league titles in 23 years as opposed to Giants winning 5 league titles in 20 years.
If you were a Steelers or a Blaze fan then I could relate somewhat to your argument - as those teams were our likely rivals for the title.

You’ve got to accept that the Giants made a right shambols with their recruitment and we’re never really in it! You were rank outsiders and likely to finish 5th (mid-table). Dupay & Wronka were shocking signings and others were a major disappointment for you.

Jonesy83

Tbh if all teams were on equal games played (49 being the teams with the most games played), I’d have zero problems with whoever was top of the table at the time the league was called off being classed as league winners. Whether that was Sheffield, Coventry, Belfast etc.
Add in the fact that we actually had played 2/3 less games than other teams, then that really does make the decision even easier for me.

It is what it is, but the league should always have a recognised champion for its season, not matter what method is determined to finalise it...worked out on points per games played etc.

Temme

Tbh if all teams were on equal games played (49 being the teams with the most games played), I’d have zero problems with whoever was top of the table at the time the league was called off being classed as league winners. Whether that was Sheffield, Coventry, Belfast etc.
Add in the fact that we actually had played 2/3 less games than other teams, then that really does make the decision even easier for me.

It is what it is, but the league should always have a recognised champion for its season, not matter what method is determined to finalise it...worked out on points per games played etc.
for what it's worth, i'm completely the other way around.

The league was not complete, points per game mean nothing up until the last game.

Whilst it looked like we were going to win it all, last year tells us that any team can choke at crunch time.

There shouldn't be a league title awarded this year out of fairness.

Hey Claret, the Devils were first after the WHOLE season. The season is over. The cancelled games were a tough break for any team that thought they had a chance to catch us even though that was improbable. But all of that is just fantasy. the Devils were first at the end of the season. That is an indisputable fact. Other leagues have looked for every possible way to declare a champion. Our league has gone the other way.

Seems a logical point of view... from a vested party. Why did the League not follow suit? Was there a majority vote of team owners for and against?
I never understand this leagues thought process. One team owner states his team being caught was improbable. The league state awarding the title to any team based on probability is not good enough.
Can only conclude the 18/19 league, won by Belfast. was an overriding factor. Historical games can't predict the final outcome. Maybe Steve can shed some light into how the final vote ( if any ) went. Was it a close call?
For me, Belfast didn't play well enough to be in the mix. Bit more miffed if I was a Coventry fan. They might have made a damn good push.

BostonBart22

Seems a logical point of view... from a vested party. Why did the League not follow suit? Was there a majority vote of team owners for and against?
I never understand this leagues thought process. One team owner states his team being caught was improbable. The league state awarding the title to any team based on probability is not good enough.
Can only conclude the 18/19 league, won by Belfast. was an overriding factor. Historical games can't predict the final outcome. Maybe Steve can shed some light into how the final vote ( if any ) went. Was it a close call?
For me, Belfast didn't play well enough to be in the mix. Bit more miffed if I was a Coventry fan. They might have made a damn good push.
Agree with blaze they were my tip for the playoff champions and well deserved ...

SteveKing

I’m curious why everyone keeps focusing on the unplayed games and what “could” have happened. All of that is completely irrelevant. The season ended. We were in first. That debate is now the equivalent of saying “I bet my team would have won if the season went an extra two weeks” In any other year. Everything else is a moot point because the rest of the games were cancelled. So the only point of contention is whether it is fair and sporting to award the trophy based on the season that was played. Very hard to justify that it isnt fair and sporting when teams had played 85-91% of their games and it seems there are some other leagues that agree with that. The fact that we are one of the very few leagues that awards a champion based on the regular season and not a playoff, the rationale for not awarding it becomes even more difficult to justify. I think the league and it’s fans are poorer for the decision.

I don’t expect anything to change. We drive on with the knowledge that we finished first and we look forward to doing it again next year. As I’ve said, the decision of men in suits that own teams that lost to us does not change anything. Certainly more important things in the world but fun to debate to take the mind off of things.

moggy#9

I’m curious why everyone keeps focusing on the unplayed games and what “could” have happened. All of that is completely irrelevant. The season ended. We were in first. That debate is now the equivalent of saying “I bet my team would have won if the season went an extra two weeks” In any other year. Everything else is a moot point because the rest of the games were cancelled. So the only point of contention is whether it is fair and sporting to award the trophy based on the season that was played. Very hard to justify that it isnt fair and sporting when teams had played 85-91% of their games and it seems there are some other leagues that agree with that. The fact that we are one of the very few leagues that awards a champion based on the regular season and not a playoff, the rationale for not awarding it becomes even more difficult to justify. I think the league and it’s fans are poorer for the decision.

I don’t expect anything to change. We drive on with the knowledge that we finished first and we look forward to doing it again next year. As I’ve said, the decision of men in suits that own teams that lost to us does not change anything. Certainly more important things in the world but fun to debate to take the mind off of things.
Can we raise a banner that just says "first place"? That'd drive the fans of certain other teams over the edge.