New Coach.....

Samaels post seemed very clear and reasonable to me. Mazzaoak just trolling and / or acting ignorant and controversial for the sake of it.

Back on topic...will be very interesting to see which route we go down. The EIHL experienced ex player route or someone new to the league from either Europe or north America. Ideal scenario would be an ex player of the league with pro coaching experience behind them...of which I imagine there are very few, Dan Ceman was one but I now believe he has a job elsewhere!

I always thought Jake Morrissette was being groomed as Lords successor for this day whilst he was still playing and was quite surprised he didn't have a role in the coaching set up once he retired last season. Still i wouldn't be surprised or necessarily disappointed to see Morrissette as coach... especially as he apparently is still based in Cardiff.

Last edited:

moggy#9

I wonder which of our senior players, or ex players, actually hold coaching certifications. It'd also be fascinating to know where interest in the past has come from.

Ocko

I wonder which of our senior players, or ex players, actually hold coaching certifications. It'd also be fascinating to know where interest in the past has come from.
I’d guess zero. You don’t need coaching qualifications to coach in the EIHL. As far as I know there are no global qualification like FIFA licenses in football. The EIHA have L1-3 coaching qualifications but they’d would probably be quite insulting to sit a EIHL player through and because the EIHL is nothing to do with the EIHA it makes little sense to do it.

moggy#9

I’d guess zero. You don’t need coaching qualifications to coach in the EIHL. As far as I know there are no global qualification like FIFA licenses in football. The EIHA have L1-3 coaching qualifications but they’d would probably be quite insulting to sit a EIHL player through and because the EIHL is nothing to do with the EIHA it makes little sense to do it.
Certainly it used to be the case that you had to have level 1 to do any coaching and level 2 to run the bench. As far as I was aware that was an iihf requirement and accredited leagues were required to comply. I'm sure that someone here will know for sure though.

dave

Certainly it used to be the case that you had to have level 1 to do any coaching and level 2 to run the bench. As far as I was aware that was an iihf requirement and accredited leagues were required to comply. I'm sure that someone here will know for sure though.
There was (not sure if still the case) a policy in place that if you were coming straight into caching from a professional team you were fast tracked as an L2 straight away. Possibly had to have another L2 on bench instead of L1.... There was usa/ Canada/iihf equivalent matching to levels but not checked that for couple of seasons.

Kevlar68

I would have thought a coach will have to be sorted soon so that the players can get to know them, coaching style can be implemented on what he will expect from the players and style. I would think a good 2 months needed before start of any sort of season.

What about Peter Russell? He's done a great job with GB, he knows European hockey, knows the GB lads and is DEL2 that much of better standard to EIHL?

moggy#9

I would have thought a coach will have to be sorted soon so that the players can get to know them, coaching style can be implemented on what he will expect from the players and style. I would think a good 2 months needed before start of any sort of season.

What about Peter Russell? He's done a great job with GB, he knows European hockey, knows the GB lads and is DEL2 that much of better standard to EIHL?
To be honest I think that returning to the EIHL would be a step backward for him. He surely has his eye on the DEL or something off that level.

Kevlar68

But look at where Lord is now after being our coach and with our owners contacts it could be a move for the better.
Lord is also looking to bigger and better things in South Carolina with a 15,000 capacity arena compared to Freiburg 5000 capacity.
I'm sure Lord would have had interest from the European leagues so coaching in the EIHL can't be all that bad.
If Russell was to move on to better things then that should come this season, if he's still in DEL2 this season after GB and coach of the year then maybe he will be looking for a move.

ASHIPP

Would not want Russell... too focused on other things like Team GB and his own career development.
We need a coach totally invested in our Club and the success of the Team and wellbeing of its players.

Kevlar68

He hasn't done to bad coaching GB and Freiburg, seems he's done well running both and all coaches want to better themselves with their career development, if that wasn't the case Lord would still be at the Devils.

He's a coach who knows the EIHL, European leagues and the world stage with GB. Good credentials i would say.

Samael

I always thought Jake Morrissette was being groomed as Lords successor for this day whilst he was still playing and was quite surprised he didn't have a role in the coaching set up once he retired last season. Still i wouldn't be surprised or necessarily disappointed to see Morrissette as coach... especially as he apparently is still based in Cardiff.
l always thought Mo was eventually going to step up to coaching too. Proven leader and well respected by the team. Always gave 100%. His last season saw a form dip but his commitment to the team was always clearly there and you can't ask for more than that. l for one wouldn't object to him suiting up and filling a coaching role for Cardiff be it head or assistant. It's whether he want's to take his career/life in that direction though.

Ocko

That’s an EIHA rule for NIHL, Junior and Rec. EIHL doesn’t fall under their jurisdiction.

The only coach to hold those qualifications in recent years is Jamie Elson.

Mazzoak

But look at where Lord is now after being our coach and with our owners contacts it could be a move for the better.
Lord is also looking to bigger and better things in South Carolina with a 15,000 capacity arena compared to Freiburg 5000 capacity.
I'm sure Lord would have had interest from the European leagues so coaching in the EIHL can't be all that bad.
If Russell was to move on to better things then that should come this season, if he's still in DEL2 this season after GB and coach of the year then maybe he will be looking for a move.
He will have work to do. I’ve quoted this from December 2019.

“The lack of fans at BSWA is perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the game day experience. The arena has thoroughly depressing attendance for Swamp Rabbits games, a real shame for such an elite venue. Apparently, the recent affiliation with the local Carolina Hurricanes doesn’t seem to be helping much on this front.Typically, there’s less than 300 fans at puck drop. In an arena with seating for up to 14,000 for hockey games, this is an abysmal number.”

300 fans at the Viola would look bad, in a 14,000 seater, WOW. The teams history has seen the team fail & reincarnated, more than once & coaches last average of 2 yrs.
This is a punt, Lord has gone because the U.K. won’t have a season, 21/22 may not have all the current teams surviving, if the league does actually survive in its current form.

Wannabe2

Think Greenville average attendance for the season 19/20 was 3,200 roughly, not great for a 14, 000 seater but also not the worse, think Wheeling Nailers have the smallest.

moggy#9

Think Greenville average attendance for the season 19/20 was 3,200 roughly, not great for a 14, 000 seater but also not the worse, think Wheeling Nailers have the smallest.
The area isn't traditional hockey country, so success and entertainment value play an important part in drawing in the fans. It's not going to be easy, but even moderate success will be something for their franchise. I suspect lordo will be judged as much in how he does things as what he does.

Mazzoak

Yes their average attendance is 3194. Their also one of the most expensive teams. Lords not there to grow fan base initially, what they need is a successful season, that then brings in bums. Currently the most entertaining point of their game is watching the scattered fans scrambling for the free T shirt parachute drops that get caught on the covered upper tier levels.

Ocko

Carolina just isn’t a hockey area. I toured there with my team last year and even when the Canes were having a good season last year their average attendance was still 3k short of capacity - one of their best on record, but that was with a very entertaining team. Previous years the average was not much above being half full.

The Swamp Rabbits will always be a team that will struggle; they’ll probably float in and out of existence over the years as many teams in non hockey areas do.

They’ll also have to fight with the Canes for fans and there will only be one winner. Greenville is about 3-4 hours from the PNC arena, if you’re a hockey fan you’ll more often than not choose the travel and NHL hockey over ECHL in an empty arena. Especially seeing as Canes tickets are very reasonable by NHL standards.