New Devils coach found!

voth26

I think it could be Thommo. The juice relates to orange (Steelers). If he applied, there would be few with better CVs. He has a history of staying for longer periods at a club. Plenty of players in the past have been "hated" on other teams, yet become fan favourites when they sign. All he would have to do is win trophies and fans will forget.
Could be way off, but his CV would likely better all others.
As for Linglet/Pope etc, we have no idea how they are as a head coach. To make a statement along the lines of the new guy being long term makes no sense with an unproven coach.
I guarantee that Devils fans won't accept Thompson even if he won a shed load of trophies, I know quite a few devils fans who would cancel their ST's including me if it is Thompson!!

Wannabe2

No sweat our owners are a bit more savvy than that, we are talking about professional people who know how to win. There’s only ever going to be one Thompson in Cardiff, and that’s Thompson Park in Canton.

voth26

Look at it whichever way you want. The players the Devils have signed from Sheffield (or other clubs) were not re-signed by them. As for bettering themselves, did both Adams and Finnerty go back to Sheffield? The point is, all players/coaches are going to take the job that best suits them at the time.
Even with your Rose-tinted glasses, you cannot argue with Thommo's CV. Nearly every year his team are in the running for all trophies. I think people do not like him more for his association with Simmsy, than for his day-to-day job.
His last stint in Sheffield didn't go to well did it, HIS TEAM FINISHED 7TH!!. you clearly don't get it so I'll spell it out for you irrespective of Thompson's CV the majority of devils fans DONT LIKE HIM AND DONT WANT HIM IN CARDIFF

Ibbz9

His last stint in Sheffield didn't go to well did it, HIS TEAM FINISHED 7TH!!. you clearly don't get it so I'll spell it out for you irrespective of Thompson's CV the majority of devils fans DONT LIKE HIM AND DONT WANT HIM IN CARDIFF
A handful of people of vocal people on here does not account for a majority. Most would not care aslong as the team won. It is probably not him anyway as Steve King as already suggested.
His team did finish 7th yes. That does not takeaway the fact he is the most succesful coach in the EIHL.
Fans are fickle. Mike Ware was hated until he played for the Devils. Fans are easily won over if the player performs which is what it boils down to. If the owners did announce Thommo, those saying they would chuck their season ticket it, would be the first to say "we have to trust the owners". If it is not the most succesful coach in EIHL history, then he must have an incredible pedigree with all the hype.

Wannabe2

Thompson has more chance of coaching Dallas Stars than he has of coaching in Gods Country. Dallas 1 million to one, Cardiff 1 billion to one.

Kevlar68

Pacha nightclub was one of the biggest nightclub names around the world, pacha logo is a double cherry, you can get cherry juice, Omar Pacha. Pacha_logo.png

Last edited:

Rempel16

Look at it whichever way you want. The players the Devils have signed from Sheffield (or other clubs) were not re-signed by them. As for bettering themselves, did both Adams and Finnerty go back to Sheffield? The point is, all players/coaches are going to take the job that best suits them at the time.
Even with your Rose-tinted glasses, you cannot argue with Thommo's CV. Nearly every year his team are in the running for all trophies. I think people do not like him more for his association with Simmsy, than for his day-to-day job.
Well I for one don't care about his association with Simms.
I don't like him because I don't rate him as a coach. There was a point in time where you could have blanked out all names and numbers on the Blaze and you would have known they were the Blaze by the way they played. They were great to watch and the AC/DC/Payette line is still my favourite non-Devils line aside from Keefe/Lloyd partnership in Belfast.

That time quickly passed and his coaching style became very old, tiresome, lethargic.... He's completely out of touch and there's even rumours to suggest that his most successful period of coaching in British hockey was actually Neal Martin running the team.

Rempel16

A handful of people of vocal people on here does not account for a majority. Most would not care aslong as the team won. It is probably not him anyway as Steve King as already suggested.
His team did finish 7th yes. That does not takeaway the fact he is the most succesful coach in the EIHL.
Fans are fickle. Mike Ware was hated until he played for the Devils. Fans are easily won over if the player performs which is what it boils down to. If the owners did announce Thommo, those saying they would chuck their season ticket it, would be the first to say "we have to trust the owners". If it is not the most succesful coach in EIHL history, then he must have an incredible pedigree with all the hype.
Yes, finished 7th with the highest budget ever provided to a Steelers coach...
He can't live off the back of his accolades from more than 10 years ago.

moggy#9

The thing is that there's a world of difference between the teaching side of coaching and the systems/tactics side. As lordo showed things like analytics are massively important to the modern game. I expect whoever comes in to have some pretty strong ideas in those areas as well as how to counter certain opponents.

Ibbz9

Well I for one don't care about his association with Simms.
I don't like him because I don't rate him as a coach. There was a point in time where you could have blanked out all names and numbers on the Blaze and you would have known they were the Blaze by the way they played. They were great to watch and the AC/DC/Payette line is still my favourite non-Devils line aside from Keefe/Lloyd partnership in Belfast.

That time quickly passed and his coaching style became very old, tiresome, lethargic.... He's completely out of touch and there's even rumours to suggest that his most successful period of coaching in British hockey was actually Neal Martin running the team.
With the Devils it would be more like the Blaze days. Players would be settled and not getting gassed every few weeks.

As for Neal Martin running the team. That is incorrect. He ran the team no more than Hotham or Fournier did. Your key players will always be the ones making decisions on the ice, especially your mobile D-Men.

After AC/DC he won plenty more trophies. I think people simply have a view based on his post game interviews after a loss plus being coach of a main rival.

As for his poor last season that was mainly down to goaltending. A coach/team is only as good as the netminder. Jackson Whistle was not an EIHL starter.

As for Budget, that may or may not be true, but factor in that budget to what the Devils/Giants/Panthers were using and it may have been far less. We do not know. Looking at the make up of the 4 teams that season, based on NHL/KHL/AHL experience, you would assume Sheffield had the 4th biggest budget, but we will never know.

Did he get outcoached by Lord? In certain games yes. Not all of them though. His style was usually agressive. Payette/Fitzgerald, Armstrong with net crashing. Devils fans hated it but we loved Matt Miller doing exactly the same thing as Armstrong.

Last edited:

jenks33

I’ll be very surprised if it’s Hendrikx. Didn’t Kelman say a while ago that we had 70 or 80 interested candidates and some of the CV’s were very impressive? So you’d have to be surprised if Hendrikx was the stand out individual. If we were still in the BBT and we were mid table mediocrity then I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hendrikx but surely there’s been a lot of interest in this job.
Don’t get me wrong if we’ve interviewed several candidates and Hendrikx was the best candidate then great but that will be a big surprise.

august04

With the Devils it would be more like the Blaze days. Players would be settled and not getting gassed every few weeks.

As for Neal Martin running the team. That is incorrect. He ran the team no more than Hotham or Fournier did. Your key players will always be the ones making decisions on the ice, especially your mobile D-Men.

After AC/DC he won plenty more trophies. I think people simply have a view based on his post game interviews after a loss plus being coach of a main rival.

As for his poor last season that was mainly down to goaltending. A coach/team is only as good as the netminder. Jackson Whistle was not an EIHL starter.

As for Budget, that may or may not be true, but factor in that budget to what the Devils/Giants/Panthers were using and it may have been far less. We do not know. Looking at the make up of the 4 teams that season, based on NHL/KHL/AHL experience, you would assume Sheffield had the 4th biggest budget, but we will never know.

Did he get outcoached by Lord? In certain games yes. Not all of them though. His style was usually agressive. Payette/Fitzgerald, Armstrong with net crashing. Devils fans hated it but we loved Matt Miller doing exactly the same thing as Armstrong.
Look, we don’t want him here! End of!!