Council to buy ice rink Bro Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabe2

My brother, who until he retired worked in building control for Cardiff council, told me he could see no way of capacity being increased without major structural work. I'd have thought that the cost of such an exercise would be prohibitive.
Your brother is spot on, my thoughts are that we have what we have and it’s better than most, we certainly haven’t outgrown it yet and with free ice time we are still in a good place.

Ocko

I personally think we have out grown it already. We near enough sell out every game with what seems little effort. Which I’m sure is frustrating, no business wants to stand still and from a business stand point this is as good as it gets unless ticket prices increase.

With attendances the way they are it’s even quite difficult to bring friends and family to games because there’s often not many good seats together and certainly none where I normally am.

moggy#9

I personally think we have out grown it already. We near enough sell out every game with what seems little effort. Which I’m sure is frustrating, no business wants to stand still and from a business stand point this is as good as it gets unless ticket prices increase.

With attendances the way they are it’s even quite difficult to bring friends and family to games because there’s often not many good seats together and certainly none where I normally am.
This is exactly the problem I have. There are normally 5 of us, and it is usually quite hard to get decent seats together, even if booking tickets as soon as they're available.

Ocko

We were at 1300 season tickets in 2017, this year is another new record apparently. We must surely be north of 1500 now. Only a matter of time before we’re at 2000 and tickets will become even more difficult to get.

Wannabe2

But your sat in Gold seats, in some of the best seats in the house if there were many seats there now that would be a problem. Another 1000 seats would be awesome with games v Steelers etc, but games with Flyers etc on a Friday/ Wed wouldn’t be too clever, are we busy at the moment like other teams due to the huge lay off, or have many more people woke up and smelt the coffee, and how long will it last always we hope, but when the bad weather closes in will things change only time will tell. The one thing we are sure of is that what we have, we will have for a long time yet.

Mazzoak

63821F9E-A5DA-45B4-89AE-02F3FBFF8C79.jpeg D4B7B0D4-CFDF-4717-B8EF-E39CB7906C91.jpeg Judging by current Google Earth of the building and the artist impression the extension doesn't look as if it would include any increase in capacity or size of the current facility. It looks like it’ll be to facilitate extra retail & or food outlets or knowing how the Council works, it’s a vision of wishful thinking rather than actual planning, they tend to infill areas of space on artists impressions to make them look better, typically exaggerating builds size or wide boulevards with trees. One only has too Google the many, many artist impressions of planned developments, even the housing impressions look far better than the built reality.

Last edited:

hip check

Are there many actual 'bad seats' in our rink? I know behind the team benches can be a bit of a restricted view but generally speaking almost all seats afford a decent view imo.

Mazzoak

What is going to happen to the ice time agreement the Devils had, are the Council going to start charging Devils to use the rink. They’ve kinda got the upper hand as the Devils have no plan B, they need the rink to survive. Not being funny but having the Council in charge of the rink isn’t exactly filling me with confidence of the IAW longevity. Cardiff needs housing and the Bay Area is prime land, especially as now any EU agreements are no longer valid......

Wannabe2

If the council should buy the rink ???, I don’t think anything would change the devils would still operate it and the icetime would stay the same, don’t panic Mr Mannering.

kingmo19.1

Sounds ridiculous to me - why would the council actually want to buy the rink! Makes no sense whatsoever! It’s akin to the Welsh Assembly doing something totally bizarre - Like buying an airport !!!!

Crazy times!!!!

Mazzoak

If the council should buy the rink ???, I don’t think anything would change the devils would still operate it and the icetime would stay the same, don’t panic Mr Mannering.
We are talking about the same Council that shut the WNIR in favour of development & took 10 yrs to replace, far longer than promised.

Yeah nothing to fear.........

James

Administrator
The council own lots of leisure facilities. It’s hardly outside their remit.
Greenbank only built the rink to be allowed land to build housing. They never had any interest in the rink or running it, they just wanted the huge profits they saw in bayside flats. Now they realise the demand isn’t what they thought they’ve lost all interest in both rink and flats.

kingmo19.1

I’m sure there would be demand if they continued the accommodation development in the bay. The ones that go on sale are all snapped up pretty quickly!

Mazzoak

The housing market has exploded, both rental as demand is high and supply is low and sales have also.
The Council needed the grants, they got those on the understanding they’d build a “Sports Village”. What was really intended is small sports venues and highly profitable housing and business developments. That’s what we got & will continue.

The council own lots of leisure facilities. It’s hardly outside their remit.
Greenbank only built the rink to be allowed land to build housing. They never had any interest in the rink or running it, they just wanted the huge profits they saw in bayside flats. Now they realise the demand isn’t what they thought they’ve lost all interest in both rink and flats.
Hopefully they won't hand it over to Better to run the facility as this would mean higher price , shorter opening times and no free ice time for the Devils.

Here are some minutes from a Cabinet meeting in March.

Cabinet meeting March 22
The existing Ice Rink has the potential to be extended at the rear to complete the development. A new attraction could be provided as part of a review of the facility to improve its overall commercial viability and long-term sustainability. Ideally, the attraction would make use of the plant and machinery already available within the Ice Arena. This will be brought forward on a commercial basis.

pjj365

Here are some minutes from a Cabinet meeting in March.

Cabinet meeting March 22
The existing Ice Rink has the potential to be extended at the rear to complete the development. A new attraction could be provided as part of a review of the facility to improve its overall commercial viability and long-term sustainability. Ideally, the attraction would make use of the plant and machinery already available within the Ice Arena. This will be brought forward on a commercial basis.
Can someone interpret please
I read a new ice based activity - what? - only curling is not accommodated or will plant support ski slope?
Suggests current rink is not commercially viable nor long term sustainable - is it not already?
Brought forward on a commercial basis suggest free ice will end - am I being too pessimistic?

Can someone interpret please
I read a new ice based activity - what? - only curling is not accommodated or will plant support ski slope?
Suggests current rink is not commercially viable nor long term sustainable - is it not already?
Brought forward on a commercial basis suggest free ice will end - am I being too pessimistic?
Winter Wonderland ?

Status
Not open for further replies.