Council to buy ice rink Bro Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazzoak

Just out of interest, out of the 3 sports buildings down the bay which do you think is used the most as in numbers through the door in a year?
Swimming Pool, white water or IAW?

I myself would think the IAW between Devils, junior Devils, Para Hockey and public skating, , so if that did ever go (which i doubt) then the others would also have to go.
There’s no ice hockey for 4 months a yr, so I’d say the numbers would be the pool, then IAW then the white water, all being fairly close in numbers. Now which one generates the most revenue after costs, I’d say white water, pool the IAW. I’m not basing it on any knowledge, complete guessing, I’ve not seen any visitor numbers.
The Council did a survey of tourism 2015 to 2020, it identified a growing need for urban sports to be built at the ISV, the main ones being a zip wire, BMX & skate board facility to include roller blading and a velodrome.

As for the extension to the IAW one possible possibility is a conveyor belted ski slope like this.....

Kevlar68

Did a bit of number crunching, so i worked out with an average of 2500 fans a game, then divided by 365 days it comes out at average 226 visitors a day, that's without public skating and other events. So i would put IAW above pool then White Water.
Running cost agreed White Water would be cheaper but people to costs would be very close for that.
The pool have quite high running costs i would think with filter motors, heaters, ventilation constantly running 24 hours a day but less staffing costs and the main pool doesn't get used that much compared to the family pool.
The IAW running costs may be just a bit higher and staffing costs higher but would get more bodies through the door in a year than the pool.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Did a bit of number crunching, so i worked out with an average of 2500 fans a game, then divided by 365 days it comes out at average 226 visitors a day, that's without public skating and other events. So i would put IAW above pool then White Water.
Running cost agreed White Water would be cheaper but people to costs would be very close for that.
The pool have quite high running costs i would think with filter motors, heaters, ventilation constantly running 24 hours a day but less staffing costs and the main pool doesn't get used that much compared to the family pool.
The IAW running costs may be just a bit higher and staffing costs higher but would get more bodies through the door in a year than the pool.
At 226 visitors in an 8 hour period, that 28 people visiting an hour for the IAW.

The International Pool is open 15 hours a day. Has a 110 station Gym, how many use it, at a guess when I’ve visited it’s usually around 20 to 30 people, so in a day I’d guess maybe 100 would be the lowest guess, more likely 300.
Looking at the Gym classes tomorrow there are 19 classes through the day @ 20 to 30 people an hour, at 20 in each class that’s 380 a day. In total there are over 80 different classes.
Swimming tomorrow there are 6 lanes available, every hour from 6am to 10pm with a capacity of 15 people per lane, at full capacity that’s 1,350 people per day just swimming. That’s not including the club, and swimming lessons everyday, I’d guess I’ve seen around 5 classes of around 10 people, so I’d guess maybe 50 people a day.
The Leisure Pool has capacity for 180 people and is open 3 times a day weekdays and 4 times on weekends. So weekdays probably 80 people a session, that’s 240 a day, weekends l say full capacity, so that’s 720 a day.

So conservatively I’d put 2,120 a day on week days, thats 141 people an hour, 10,600 for the 5 working days. Add Saturday and Sunday 2,840 per day. That’s 13,440 a week. Over the yr, 50 weeks that 672,000 a yr. which is why it’s the 8th most visited attraction in Wales. For perspective Swansea Leisure Centre had 630,273 visitors in 2019/20.

Kevlar68

Nice that you went that deep in to figures and you've put some thought in to it and proved i'm wrong.
Even with it being so hugely used if those numbers are anywhere near that which they may or may not be, we don't know, i can't see the IAW getting shut down any time soon.

Mazzoak

Nice that you went that deep in to figures and you've put some thought in to it and proved i'm wrong.
Even with it being so hugely used if those numbers are anywhere near that which they may or may not be, we don't know, i can't see the IAW getting shut down any time soon.
Didn’t need to go that deep (that’s what she said)

Kevlar68

When i'm wrong i'll admit it which it seems i was when it comes to attendance figures, in fact from your research i was way off BUT i've never known anyone so negative about something they say they are a fan of.
If you found a thousand pound you'd have a negative slant on it, it wouldn't be the fact that you found a thousand it would be "Yeah but its in £5 notes, what a pain", that's your outlook on anything Devils on a majority of your posts on here.

Wannabe2

At 226 visitors in an 8 hour period, that 28 people visiting an hour for the IAW.

The International Pool is open 15 hours a day. Has a 110 station Gym, how many use it, at a guess when I’ve visited it’s usually around 20 to 30 people, so in a day I’d guess maybe 100 would be the lowest guess, more likely 300.
Looking at the Gym classes tomorrow there are 19 classes through the day @ 20 to 30 people an hour, at 20 in each class that’s 380 a day. In total there are over 80 different classes.
Swimming tomorrow there are 6 lanes available, every hour from 6am to 10pm with a capacity of 15 people per lane, at full capacity that’s 1,350 people per day just swimming. That’s not including the club, and swimming lessons everyday, I’d guess I’ve seen around 5 classes of around 10 people, so I’d guess maybe 50 people a day.
The Leisure Pool has capacity for 180 people and is open 3 times a day weekdays and 4 times on weekends. So weekdays probably 80 people a session, that’s 240 a day, weekends l say full capacity, so that’s 720 a day.

So conservatively I’d put 2,120 a day on week days, thats 141 people an hour, 10,600 for the 5 working days. Add Saturday and Sunday 2,840 per day. That’s 13,440 a week. Over the yr, 50 weeks that 672,000 a yr. which is why it’s the 8th most visited attraction in Wales. For perspective Swansea Leisure Centre had 630,273 visitors in 2019/20.
Who gives a toss, anyone can pluck numbers out of the sky. There all Mickey Mouse anyway, probably, I say, conservatory, I’d guess, more likely. can you be a bit more vague.

Mazzoak

When i'm wrong i'll admit it which it seems i was when it comes to attendance figures, in fact from your research i was way off BUT i've never known anyone so negative about something they say they are a fan of.
If you found a thousand pound you'd have a negative slant on it, it wouldn't be the fact that you found a thousand it would be "Yeah but its in £5 notes, what a pain", that's your outlook on anything Devils on a majority of your posts on here.
That’s a crock of crap. I’m no fan of Lord, so get over it.
I’m not a fan of Cardiff Council’s treatment of the Cardiff Devils & the ISV.

That’s the only two subjects l get near what you describe as “negative”.

As for the £1000, if l found it, I’d be happy, although I’d look for who it belonged to. I once found a wallet on the pavement outside the Premier Inn in Swansea with several hundred £’s in cash, ID and Hotel key card. I immediately handed it to reception, it belonged to a disabled guy who come for his daughters wedding, he’d told reception if anyone handed it in to give them £20. I could’ve easily kept the cash and chucked the wallet in the river.
If it was handed to me by a person I knew had a questionable past of false promises, yes I’d certainly question their motivations. Unlike some posters here who’d wag their tails in anticipation..........not noticing the person reaching for a whip to beat them with.

The whole point was in response to the article, people not realising the Council is sourcing Financial Viability studies on the IAW, International Pool, CIWW. Their also implementing Legal Implication studies on those findings. The implications of a Council Run Ice Arena and their plans to generate cash from those venues to pay for the proposed Velodrome, will see if all goes well, an increase in costs for all of us, including the owners. Some posters thought we’d be getting an extension built & the use of the new arena replacing the Motorpoint Arena. Really............why stop their, why not keep the IAW whilst we get Cardiff version of New York’s Garden built up the road, hell we could sign Crosby too ready for the first puck drop.....dam I’m being way too positive.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

That’s a crock of crap. I’m no fan of Lord, so get over it.
I’m not a fan of Cardiff Council’s treatment of the Cardiff Devils & the ISV.

As for the £1000, if l found it, I’d be happy, although I’d look for who it belonged to. I once found a wallet on the pavement outside the Premier Inn in Swansea with several hundred £’s in cash, ID and Hotel key card. I immediately handed it to reception, it belonged to a disabled guy who come for his daughters wedding, he’d told reception if anyone handed it in to give them £20. I could’ve easily kept the cash and chucked the wallet in the river.
I'm not going to research through your back catalogue of posts but you have been negative on more than 2 subjects other than Lord and Council but i'm sure you can copy and paste all your negative posts to prove me wrong.

As for the wallet only you know that. I found some magic beans but knew jack had lost them so i gave them back to him. Do you see what i mean?
Also i don't believe the wallet story anyway as no one in Swansea has a wallet with several hundred pounds in it, i live in Swansea. It's a dump ;)

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Once upon a time, a long time ago deep in the forest I found a golden magic chalice, or was it yesterday in llandaff fields I found a conker, and after talking to all the animals I found the squirrel who had lost it, there was a reward to the finder of 3 acorns, and we all know what comes from acorns your right sod all.

Mazzoak

I'm not going to research through your back catalogue of posts but you have been negative on more than 2 subjects other than Lord and Council but i'm sure you can copy and paste all your negative posts to prove me wrong.

As for the wallet only you know that. I found some magic beans but knew jack had lost them so i gave them back to him. Do you see what i mean?
Also i don't believe the wallet story anyway as no one in Swansea has a wallet with several hundred pounds in it, i live in Swansea. It's a dump ;)
Your accusing me of being negative, why would you need to research previous post, can’t you remember.
You live in the nice part of Swansea then, take a walk down Mumbles one day, pass Mark Bailey’s new house, it’s next door to Bonnie Tyler’s. Cracking night there recently, Catherine’s parents are hilarious.......Do you see what l mean ;)

Kevlar68

I would have to research not to mis-quote you, i wouldn't want that.
I actually live in a lovely area thanks, i can walk 5 mins and i'm on the beach, i know the Mumbles well BUT Swansea town centre is a dump and the 2 Premier inns are in town.
As for Mark Bailey he may be moving as he wanted to stop a children's skate park from being built in front of his lovely new home so the children had nowhere to play and he's confronted the children but unfortunately for him it's still being built.
In fact i live only half a mile from Mark Bailey, that's close enough for me.
As for Bonnie Tyler she very rarely stays in Swansea she lives in Portugal.

Anyway, I digress........The IAW won't be going anywhere in my opinion, there is enough land all around it to develop and that would also generate more footfall around the arena and hopefully in to it.

Last edited:

pjj365

✳️ Update on International Sports Village from Cardiff Council

More information on the development of the International Sports Village (ISV) has been revealed.

Further details on Cardiff Council's plans to create a high-quality leisure and sport destination at the site in Cardiff Bay, are explored in an update report to the local authority's Cabinet.

The report, which will be presented to Cabinet on Thursday 23 September, seeks authority to acquire the residual of the Sports Village from Greenbank Partnerships and proceed with the delivery of the wider masterplan.

The report will seek authority from Cabinet to:

✳️ Purchase around 10 acres of Greenbank's land at the ISV and Ice Arena Wales development to consolidate the Council's ownership at the site,

✳️ Bring a number of smaller housing plots to the market to accelerate the completion of the project,

✳️ Purchase the Ice Arena as part of the deal with Greenbank to help the Council deliver their plan to establish a leisure and sport destination at the ISV with all of the facilities under the Council's control.

The facility is currently operated by the Cardiff Devils and this will continue for the foreseeable future.

The report advises that the business case for the new Velodrome is being developed and will be reported back to Cabinet in December.

Additional business plans are also being developed to relocate the Cardiff MX (motorcross) facility to ISV and for the proposed new Closed Road Cycle Circuit - both of which will be reported back to Cabinet at a future date.

➡️ More here: https://orlo.uk/3jRl7

NathanG

I would have to research not to mis-quote you, i wouldn't want that.
I actually live in a lovely area thanks, i can walk 5 mins and i'm on the beach, i know the Mumbles well BUT Swansea town centre is a dump and the 2 Premier inns are in town.
As for Mark Bailey he may be moving as he wanted to stop a children's skate park from being built in front of his lovely new home so the children had nowhere to play and he's confronted the children but unfortunately for him it's still being built.
In fact i live only half a mile from Mark Bailey, that's close enough for me.
As for Bonnie Tyler she very rarely stays in Swansea she lives in Portugal.

Anyway, I digress........The IAW won't be going anywhere in my opinion, there is enough land all around it to develop and that would also generate more footfall around the arena and hopefully in to it.
Sounds like you live in a nice part of Swansea tbh. Imagine living in Penlan, Townhill or Bonymaen? Now those places are shit holes.

I'm thankful I live in Llanelli haha

ASHIPP

Sounds like you live in a nice part of Swansea tbh. Imagine living in Penlan, Townhill or Bonymaen? Now those places are shit holes.

I'm thankful I live in Llanelli haha
My Dad was born and raised in Townhill. The fact is there are very poor areas in all cities and many poor people have no choice in their lives right now but to live there.

Wonder what visitors and non residents would think driving around some of our suburbs in Cardiff. Its not the gorgeous New York-type utopian metropolis some posters on here make it out to be (and I've lived here 40 years). Just another illustration of the 'haves' and 'have nots', sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.