Steelers at coventry

moggy#9

Thread starter #2
Interesting match. 1-0 to Coventry still at the end of the second. Coventry pp looks awful. The puck send to be bobbling a lot - not sure if there's some sort of issue with the ice. Evan mosey having another great game. Such a pity we couldn't have kept him. Very interesting to hear the officials mic'ed up.

moggy#9

Thread starter #6
Unbelievable. Steelers come back once in regulation and again in the shootout to win. Coventry will be tough opponents next weekend.

E.D.S.

Springers hit on Latal was a shocker. Good clip on YouTube (no idea how to link it). I'm trying not to revel in the fact that it's a Steelers player getting hit but..... this for me is what happens when you don't apply consistency and common bloody sense. It becomes a free for all. It's a late low hit, that could really cause damage. Yes he gets kicked out as he had a previous 5 minute but why is it getting to this.

In the above clip from 'Behind the Net' you've got a two handed slash and a stick to the face right in from of the referee and what's done about it?? It's Madness.

In our game, you've got Brendan Connolly punching and sticking people and getting away with it and other players running the goalie in different games. All it does it generate the intent to go out and hurt the opponent because they aren't being punished. I don't want the spirit of the game to be removed or the way it can be policed by players with the 'code' but we're in real danger of going back 15 years and being a goon league if this continues. We made great stride as a league when faster more skilled players came over, we (Nottingham, Braehead, Steelers etc) made progress in Europe and got noticed by a calibre of player that would other wise stay well clear. If Connolly or anyone else is allowed to run a goalie or punch and not get punished then he skates around with a target on his back and could be susceptible to these kinds of hits. Don't get me wrong, we need pantomime dames in this league and agitators but I think we're in danger of a line being crossed when it comes to players taking it in to their own hands.

I feel like an old man writing this. My concern is that all of this has happened in the course of a few weeks not over the course of a long season. It's a dangerous precedence to set so early on.

tim78

Was it really that bad, I didn't think so. It was low on the cusp of being late maybe but nothing to the head area which is the biggest concern just an old shool dirty submarine hit.

Far from a game penalty.

E.D.S.

Was it really that bad, I didn't think so. It was low on the cusp of being late maybe but nothing to the head area which is the biggest concern just an old shool dirty submarine hit.

Far from a game penalty.
I think you've made my point for me...."low, old-school, dirty and late". I used to love seeing Kirk DeWaele make these hits but this was a lifetime ago, like wise with SCoop - not that I'm saying these guys were always late but I did feel that we'd moved on from this.

tim78

Slightly confused E.D.S
No, I'm not emphasising your point. A dirty hit is illegal but I don't measure that as worth of a game penalty.
No, I didn't say it was a very late hit. The hit is under 2secs after the pass was made but on the cusp.

E.D.S.

He was given a game because of his indescretions before hand. He'd already received a 5 min penalty. He wasn't thrown out for this hit. I haven't seen the game sheet so I could be wrong on that but the commentary implied that. You used the term "old school dirty" hit. That is how I viewed it as well, hence why i said I thought we'd moved on from these and are at risk of seeing more of these if the officiating isn't consistent. "Old School" and "dirty" should be out of place in this league now.

E.D.S.

My point isn't centred around this hit. My point is that in a short period we have seen goalies being run, cross checks, two handed slashes and hits the head and inconsistent application of the laws of the game. Like I said, over the course of the season, you'd probably accept that as part of the game but this is all in a matter of 3ish weeks and it's concerning the level of officiating and inconsistency. I used this hit to emphasis a point, not to make a point about the hit.

moggy#9

Thread starter #15
My point isn't centred around this hit. My point is that in a short period we have seen goalies being run, cross checks, two handed slashes and hits the head and inconsistent application of the laws of the game. Like I said, over the course of the season, you'd probably accept that as part of the game but this is all in a matter of 3ish weeks and it's concerning the level of officiating and inconsistency. I used this hit to emphasis a point, not to make a point about the hit.
I seem to remember that in previous seasons the refs had a conference where they were briefed on the relevant standards for different calls. I've not heard anything about that this season. If that's not happened due to covid, perhaps that explains some of the problems.

BostonBart22

Can you imagine the Steelers reaction if Brad Voth had done that?! He’d have been banned for life!
proberbly have a prison sentence if tony smith had his way, they just hated voth after he levelled tait , keep your head up ashley, I know it was bad but wow great to watch and glad tait survived.