Devils and coach part ways

jenks33

More than any other season I can remember, there’s been quite a few goals with our goalie pulled, how many times have we played crap for 55 minutes and then scored 2,3,4 in the couple of minutes and thought “wow if only we started like that”
Loads of late, late goals wasn’t there. It’s as if the players needed the danger of not having a goalie to start playing with a bit of energy!

Mazzoak

Here is a quandary jumping forward, if we have a fully fit squad, win the playoffs, who do we congratulate, Skalde as he picked the team and drilled them for 98% of the season. Dupont & Franny, can they claim it was their coaching & bench decisions etc. Would the success been on Todd & the owners for sacking an incompetent coach ? Maybe we could give the players the credit for turning up at the last minute of the season.

jenks33

Their comments regarding aiming for success this season.
Not sure why you’re over-complicating it. I think the owners and Todd wanted more “proven players”. Not necessarily veterans but proven. Where as Skalde went for a few players that were maybe a bit risky. Why would you not back your coach at that stage? I’m sure they were worried but you still back the guy you’ve recruited. And we went on to have a fairly underwhelming season. As I said earlier I think that was one of the few/many reasons they went their separate ways

Last edited:

ASHIPP

But surely you don’t really believe we were still in it? Didn’t Belfast and/or Sheffield have about 5 games in hand on us at one stage. We were realistically out of the title race yonks ago. We needed two teams to fall of a cliff (results wise) not just one! And overall the standard of the league this season was poor. Understandably after covid. Still where as Panthers, Flames, Blaze were very dangerous in previous seasons they were all poor this year. No chance were Belfast/Sheffield slipping up.
That's right, the Devils were out of it yonks ago. Just trying to put our 3rd place into a bit of perspective. The gap between Steelers in 2nd and the Devils was only 7 points which might have been gained if we had managed to ice a full defence corps and established some consistency.
The Devils might have won those games, we will never know. Steelers did slip up in the last few weeks.
To finish 3rd is not a disaster all considered.

jenks33

That's right, the Devils were out of it yonks ago. Just trying to put our 3rd place into a bit of perspective. The gap between Steelers in 2nd and the Devils was only 7 points which might have been gained if we had managed to ice a full defence corps and established some consistency.
The Devils might have won those games, we will never know. Steelers did slip up in the last few weeks.
To finish 3rd is not a disaster all considered.
Think we’ll have to agree to disagree if you’re putting a positive spin on our 3rd place. The two teams above us were better than us and then the teams that are usually very competitive (Panthers, Blaze, Flames) were dreadful at times. Nowhere near as good as they’ve been in previous seasons. Respect your opinion though ASHIPP

Last edited:

Mazzoak

And I don’t think season ticket sales are poor are they? Even before Skalde left I heard the figures were pretty healthy. Plus we’ve still been selling most home games out so I don’t buy that point at all
Katrina posted on Twitter “750 season tickets processed in 6 weeks, keep them coming “

Mazzoak

Not sure why you’re over-complicating it. I think the owners and Todd wanted more “proven players”. Not necessarily veterans but proven. Where as Skalde went for a few players that were maybe a bit risky. Why would you not back your coach at that stage? I’m sure they were worried but you still back the guy you’ve recruited. And we went on to have a fairly underwhelming season. As I said earlier I think that was one of the few/many reasons they went their separate ways
I didn’t think l was, for me it’s very simple, if the owners wanted more proven players we had 18 months that Skalde was recruiting, why as owners take a punt on the coaching choice. It’s their business and the coach is an employee put in place to achieve their goals, why back a coach you believe is risking those goals.

moggy#9

Think we’ll have to agree to disagree if you’re putting a positive spin on our 3rd place. The two teams above us were better than us and then the teams that are usually very competitive (Panthers, Blaze, Flames) were dreadful at times. Nowhere near as good as they’ve been in previous seasons. Respect your opinion though ASHIPP
If Sheffield's netminding had been better they'd have been much further ahead of us. The reality is that their netminding held them back, whilst ours made us look better than we were - particularly when we had BOC continually giving up odd man rushes.

Devils86

If you know long term you are going to work with a coach then a 3rd place finish and a CC final is an ok return for a transition year. However if it's clear that it won't work then shake hands and walk away.

However it's the timing that stinks for me. In cup competition anything can happen. Whilst obviously the Giants and Steelers are going to be favourites for the playoffs - we beat them both throughout the season (I forget our series results against them). That's not a situation where we have no chance in the playoffs. Sacking Skalde then isn't like the Devils org.

Perversely, and bear with me on this, imagine if Skalde stays in charge but he's going to be shown the door after the playoffs. We win the playoffs somehow. How do you then sack him? A playoff title, CC final and 3rd place is a good return for a first season in the league.

Presumably his contract was up after playoffs anyway, so the question is then: how do you not renew his contract?

The timing is the thing for me.

jenks33

If Sheffield's netminding had been better they'd have been much further ahead of us. The reality is that their netminding held them back, whilst ours made us look better than we were - particularly when we had BOC continually giving up odd man rushes.
100%. Where as Carruth stole us a lot of points, Sheffield nearly won the title despite their problems in goal. Brust was clearly a poor signing and although Stojanovic was good at times he wasn’t great.

Last edited:

jenks33

If you know long term you are going to work with a coach then a 3rd place finish and a CC final is an ok return for a transition year. However if it's clear that it won't work then shake hands and walk away.

However it's the timing that stinks for me. In cup competition anything can happen. Whilst obviously the Giants and Steelers are going to be favourites for the playoffs - we beat them both throughout the season (I forget our series results against them). That's not a situation where we have no chance in the playoffs. Sacking Skalde then isn't like the Devils org.

Perversely, and bear with me on this, imagine if Skalde stays in charge but he's going to be shown the door after the playoffs. We win the playoffs somehow. How do you then sack him? A playoff title, CC final and 3rd place is a good return for a first season in the league.

Presumably his contract was up after playoffs anyway, so the question is then: how do you not renew his contract?

The timing is the thing for me.
Good point. If Kelman knew a while ago that he didn’t want to work with Skalde next year then his sacking would have been far more controversial had we won the play offs under Skalde.

jenks33

Katrina posted on Twitter “750 season tickets processed in 6 weeks, keep them coming “
Is that bad 5 months before the season starts though? And I genuinely don’t think a lot fans refused to renew season tickets because Skalde was in charge. Also why bother sacking him a couple of weeks before the end of the season if it was mainly to do with poor season ticket sales? Not one of the reasons he’s gone in my opinion.

Last edited:

jenks33

I didn’t think l was, for me it’s very simple, if the owners wanted more proven players we had 18 months that Skalde was recruiting, why as owners take a punt on the coaching choice. It’s their business and the coach is an employee put in place to achieve their goals, why back a coach you believe is risking those goals.
Skalde’s appointment was announced in October 2020 and he would have been interviewed well before that. They wouldn’t have known who he was recruiting at that time. Not even Skalde would have known! You don’t know which minor league hockey players are available 14 months before the season starts! Mikkelson was our first new signing and that was 7 months after Skalde was appointed. It is possible to be blown away by somebody’s ideas at interview stage but having doubts further on down the line.
Im not sure things are as complex and sordid behind the scenes at the Devils as you often like to make out.

Pembo

At the end of the day we’re all speculating wildly, but the TK quote is interesting to me. He may just be being professional and not wanting to throw Skalde under the bus, but it does seem it was a difficult decision that had to be made quickly & doesn’t seem like was due to personality clash if we take what he’s saying literally.

I still wonder, like with the rumours about certain names signing for next season, if a coach that TK feels has Devils DNA had suddenly become available for next season & he needed to move fast. If someone unannounced had signed in principle then that puts Skalde in an impossible position “Finish up the season then you’re done”. It’s all wild speculation but timing felt to me like there had to be a catalyst.

I trust TK entirely on recruitment, we’ve been making comments about us starting flat all season on here and I lost count how many times Skalde in his interviews post game regularly said “I felt we came out flat.”, or “We didn’t really get going until the 3rd”. That either suggests a deeper player issue or a coaching issue. Coughler coming in immediately upgraded the performances on the ice, but that was a high calibre player coming in rather than a coach turning around a team prone to early game lethargy. I wish Skalde all the best even if he does sign for Panthers, but I feel more excited for the style/intensity of hockey next season now than I would be feeling if I knew JS was here for another year.

hip check

Swings and roundabouts, if's and but's, we were better than them in the netminding dept and they were better than us in the goal scoring dept, a team is judged by it's performance over the season and over that period they had the better team. You could easily say that if we'd have had another high scoring forward then they wouldn't have been so much ahead of us.

terry hunt

I think we have a good core of youngish players thanks to Skalde but i felt we needed a few mature leaders.
Players of the Adams, Matso,Lord or Hodge type.
If Haddad supposedly (retired) is fit he is a good line leader.We have had several in recent years so they must be out there.

Mazzoak

Im not sure things are as complex and sordid behind the scenes at the Devils as you often like to make out.
Hmmm. Complex yes, Sordid, no that’s not how l see the situations. Any business with multiple employees will be complex, especially within sports. It’s true I’m a fan that can point the finger at our owners, there is a strong level of Teflon from fans. Belfast & Sheffield are cheating, the ref is biased, the laptop, the coach, the players, some have a tone of blaming everything other than the management. Sorry but l stand by my comment that Lord without the Devils is nothing and the Devils without Lord are nothing. I truly hope in time I’m wrong, l hope they find someone Todd can work with and bring the success we all want. Yes I know it maybe difficult understand for some fans, but it is possible to critic peoples decisions and actions and still support the team and management. Todd for all his success and passion which brought him a success as a player and GM has a way of achieving that success and unfortunately that way is only his way. Which means if you have the right people it can work very well, the problem though is finding those people. Fingers crossed everything is in place nd this time next season we will be moaning how boring winning every game is........

pjj365

I don't know how you can say Lord is nothing without the Devils - 2nd season in Kelly Cup playoffs is not bad. Let's see what Star Treck day brings if the games go to 7

Kevin roog

With regards to season tickets, my gang started with 9 people and it’s now Down to 4 for next season, one has gone through Ill health but will continue to go perhaps 2 games a month, the damning bit is the other 4 gave up their season tickets Xmas week which the club were good enough to refund the remaining games , the reason , boredom,