Dupont named head coach

moggy#9

Thread starter #21
Only disappointment in the interviews is that Todd confirms the player signings will be drip-fed.

Still holding out the hope that one year they will keep everything secret until an open training session in August!!!
The problems with that are fan frustration and the need to keep everyone engaged. It would need a long summer with no news.

Wannabe2

Well well pleased with this appointment, this young man certainly turned us around in such an incredibly short time, and to have the dressing room on your side is a huge plus to success. As for being a rookie coach well Lordo, Keefe, Thornton, Adey, Heavey didn’t do too bad did they, if DuPont is good enough for Franny, Todd, and our organisation,then that’s good enough in my book. Also if those 5/6 new players are of the quality we hope for, and the lads we keep are correct, then it should all look pretty neat for next season, starting to feel pretty pumped now for the new season this could very well be a ride not to miss, get your tickets folks this is your,mine,our club, Happy Hockey Days.

mjh

I'm really pleased with this. He's done well to date and clearly loves being here. I'd completely ignore his stint on the ice with us, I don't see that as relevant. He's got the dressing room on his side and overcame a good Belfast team to win the playoffs. I really didn't expect that so it really helped confirm for me that he's a good motivator. Also should help with recruitment as he's already familiar with the league. Also, unlike with Skalde, Todd has had opportunity to see first hand how he works and his character. Exciting time ahead!

OJLloyd

Watched his interview on the train to work today. Fast, heavy hockey and playing the game in the O Zone ticks all the right boxes.

I suspect we’re only “changing” one goalie and one D man. Is there a possibility we carry a spare D? Yes, but I’m not sure that counts towards the 5 or 6 “changes” discussed in the videos.

So possibility of 4 new forwards in a best case scenario. That fits with where I imagine the changes would be made.

As above, I suspect additional numbers with new squad rules (hopefully) are not included in that number.

DuPont speaks well, comes across as enthusiastic and knowledgable. Clearly enjoys being in Cardiff and now has first hand experience of the league (and the CHL for future adventures).

After the Play Off win, I am happy with the appointment.

august04 2.0

Not a surprising decision. I wasn’t a fan of his as a player but you can’t fault what he’s done on the coaching side since Skalde left. It’s obvious that the players like and respect him, so why not. Good luck to him and I like what he’s saying so far about signing a heavier team too. I think we’re going to have some bigger guys in the forward line up next year. An interesting few weeks ahead, let’s get some signings announced now.

jenks33

I'm happy to trust Todd and Franny with the Dupont appointment. Clearly its a risk but it looks like Dupont is popular in the dressing room, focused and keen to learn so you can see why they've gone for him. Fingers crossed it works out.

Todd's 5/6 changes comment worries me a bit. Obviously i'm chuffed that we won the play offs but winning the play offs can sometimes paper over the cracks a bit. Would there only be 5 or 6 changes had we not won the play offs? I don't think so. And yes the players deserve a lot of credit for winning the play offs but if we're being brutally honest we won 3 out of 4 games and we rode our luck against Guildford. Personally i think we need closer to 8 or 9 changes but hopefully i'm proved wrong on that.

matbur

I'm happy to trust Todd and Franny with the Dupont appointment. Clearly its a risk but it looks like Dupont is popular in the dressing room, focused and keen to learn so you can see why they've gone for him. Fingers crossed it works out.

Todd's 5/6 changes comment worries me a bit. Obviously i'm chuffed that we won the play offs but winning the play offs can sometimes paper over the cracks a bit. Would there only be 5 or 6 changes had we not won the play offs? I don't think so. And yes the players deserve a lot of credit for winning the play offs but if we're being brutally honest we won 3 out of 4 games and we rode our luck against Guildford. Personally i think we need closer to 8 or 9 changes but hopefully i'm proved wrong on that.
I think the idea is a different system/playing style will get more consistency and improvement out of the players. And that is what Dupont is going to be judged on as a head coach. It's the responsibility he carries.

moggy#9

Thread starter #36
I think the idea is a different system/playing style will get more consistency and improvement out of the players. And that is what Dupont is going to be judged on as a head coach. It's the responsibility he carries.
But do we have the right players to go to the style described? I'm not convinced that we do. Let's see the recruitment when it happens to see if it can be made to work.

ASHIPP

Considering Dupont really only had 2-3 weeks at the end of the season to prove what could be done with that team, he did very well.
The players respected him and responded to his changes in style and tactics. You only needed to look at Dupont's animated behaviour on the bench during games, and his positive, relaxed interaction with Franny to know that those changes were positive.

If those building blocks can make a difference in just 3 weeks last season, imagine what can happen next season.

The Owners, TK and Franny say they are comfortable with this appointment. That's good enough for me.

jenks33

Considering Dupont really only had 2-3 weeks at the end of the season to prove what could be done with that team, he did very well.
The players respected him and responded to his changes in style and tactics. You only needed to look at Dupont's animated behaviour on the bench during games, and his positive, relaxed interaction with Franny to know that those changes were positive.

If those building blocks can make a difference in just 3 weeks last season, imagine what can happen next season.

The Owners, TK and Franny say they are comfortable with this appointment. That's good enough for me.

As i said i'm happy to trust Todd and Franny with the appointment. Dupont seems keen and popular so why not give him a go!

It's the roster i'm more dubious about. If we're only making 5 or 6 changes i'm concerned that we're being a bit too generous to a couple of players purely because we won 3 out of 4 games at the end of the season.

I'll be happy if i'm proved to be spectacularly wrong on that one though.

James

Administrator
Depends on the 5 or six changes. There were 2 changes this season which arguably had they been there from the start would have put us higher up the table. Gassing BOC and bringing in McNulty and replacing an injured Dupont with Coughler made a huge change

moggy#9

Thread starter #40
Depends on the 5 or six changes. There were 2 changes this season which arguably had they been there from the start would have put us higher up the table. Gassing BOC and bringing in McNulty and replacing an injured Dupont with Coughler made a huge change
Whilst I'd agree that those changes from the start would have put us closer, I still feel that there's a gap between us and Belfast in terms of capability and consistency. That is what needs addressing.