Anyone worried?

Diablo3

So we are the only bidders then .as 1 put forward
I'm sure it was mentioned that the usual players like planet ice had bid including us. As for the rest of this development - it is just hot air from the council, lets face it who is going to put up the money for it in this climate. Just grand ambition.

lloyd_jeff

That won’t happen in a million years,after the last fight, is this just a wind up statement as usual to try to get people on edge which you like to do.
It’s a real possibility, have a pop at me all you want, simple fact is feasibility studies have been conducted and just as any business, if it’s not financially viable it will cease to remain. I don’t want Ice Hockey to leave Cardiff, there is no alternative venues or teams to watch, which hasn’t helped.
Nobody in the Council wants to keep the IAW as a charity case, I’ve heard it said that the main revenue source of income is benefiting foreign owners, there’s no money coming in to keep the IAW in its current form & there is no money available to keep it going.
My gut says Planet Ice are a strong possibility, I’ve heard rumours an outside entertainment consortium that doesn’t have an ice background will get it, run the rink, reassessing the economics at a later date. Best outcome is the whole project actually completed which should secure more viable business within the IAW, such as revamping the bar & food & increasing week day usage of the facilities.

Fingers Crossed.

lloyd_jeff

It’s a real possibility, have a pop at me all you want, simple fact is feasibility studies have been conducted and just as any business, if it’s not financially viable it will cease to remain. I don’t want Ice Hockey to leave Cardiff, there is no alternative venues or teams to watch, which hasn’t helped.
Nobody in the Council wants to keep the IAW as a charity case, I’ve heard it said that the main revenue source of income is benefiting foreign owners, there’s no money coming in to keep the IAW in its current form & there is no money available to keep it going.
My gut says Planet Ice are a strong possibility, I’ve heard rumours an outside entertainment consortium that doesn’t have an ice background will get it, run the rink, reassessing the economics at a later date. Best outcome is the whole project actually completed which should secure more viable business within the IAW, such as revamping the bar & food & increasing week day usage of the facilities.
Have the Devils owners put forward a realistic bid with the relevant financial securities needed, I’m not commenting as it'll be used to mock me, all l will say is, if they have, amazing.

Fingers Crossed.

Wannabe2

You can revamp the bar all you like, you basically have to drive to get to the IAW, unless you are one of the small population that lives there, so that knocks drinking down there on the head. But would be interested to know how you would revamp the bar to increase the profit.

lloyd_jeff

You can revamp the bar all you like, you basically have to drive to get to the IAW, unless you are one of the small population that lives there, so that knocks drinking down there on the head. But would be interested to know how you would revamp the bar to increase the profit.
Im not the developer, at a guess though I’d make the bar a bar & since the the first sentence of the Councils newsletter stated they’re looking to attract up to 2 million visitors a yr. Also Cardiff Bay is full of bars and restaurants you have to drive too.

Kevlar68

Cardiff bay (mermaid quay) where all the bars are you can get to by regular buses that stop at millennium centre, train to Bute town station and walk from town centre.

Devils86

Getting down to Mermaid key is about to get far easier!

Leveling up money to the tune of £50m(!) has been allocated to build a train link between Cardiff Central and the bay.

We've needed one for ages - why hasn't it been thought of until now. Why didn't we have a little sprinter shuttle service that runs down there and back all day.

They should make sure it doesn't get in the way of the mainline stuff and take up one of the platforms at central though. Maybe they could start it from Queens Street station?! It's a minute or two change and would avoid spending £50m(!) on new track, land and rolling stock. Actually, isn't there already track that runs down to the bay? Down to the old Cardiff Bay station...

That old station that is still operating and still has a sprinter service.

Sorry I've used up all my sarcasm juice. I await the plans on where the new line will go and whether it will join the ISV to Central or whether it will be building a joining piece of track and some new trains for the current line down to Cardiff Bay station.

It really needs to be the former or it's a complete waste of money

Gisland

Just trying to catch up. Is IAW under pressure to remain as an Ice Rink? Or is the main issue going to be the loss of free ice time? With the 2nd ice pad, did anyone ever use it? I thought I read it was closed for some time due to running costs.

Wannabe2

IAW is under no pressure to remain as an Ice Rink, forget what the doom dicks say, free ice time isn’t an issue at the moment as if our management get the operators go ahead it won’t be a problem. Looks like the 2nd ice pad will go and be renovated to a more profitable activity, meaning the main pad will be used more as it has been for awhile now.

moggy#9

IAW is under no pressure to remain as an Ice Rink, forget what the doom dicks say, free ice time isn’t an issue at the moment as if our management get the operators go ahead it won’t be a problem. Looks like the 2nd ice pad will go and be renovated to a more profitable activity, meaning the main pad will be used more as it has been for awhile now.
I'd love to know how the lack of a second pad had impacted the various junior teams, rec teams and skating clubs. When I was active, and we just had one pad, the demands for ice time were extreme. Rec teams would train until 2am and figure skaters would be on from about 6am.

I appreciate that there's a sweet spot between availability and affordability, so I'm genuinely curious. Have some of the clubs just folded?

lloyd_jeff

Just trying to catch up. Is IAW under pressure to remain as an Ice Rink? Or is the main issue going to be the loss of free ice time? With the 2nd ice pad, did anyone ever use it? I thought I read it was closed for some time due to running costs.
Yes & No, publicly the intention is to keep the IAW as an Ice Sports Venue. The Council have & continue to hold closed doors confidential meetings on the IAW’s future. The Council have taken over control of the IAW from the operators Greenbank after the relationship broke down. The Council announced it didn’t have the funds to run the IAW, it has implemented viability studies and recently tendered out for a leaseholder to invest & run the complex. We will know who today.