MARCH 1ST

BostonBart22

Thread starter #1
Challenge cup final in belfast...it's a Wednesday game, what are the lge thinking...poor for away fans travelling for a cup final, don't get me wrong but couldn't belfast drop a weekend home game and that could be played march 1st instead..

august04 2.0

It’s a bloody farce that Belfast have the final based on seedings after the group stages - with the Scottish teams in their group, that’s always going to be the case. If not at a neutral venue, it should revert to a 2 legged final as in the quarters and semis. This competition needs a major overhaul, but we seem to say the same things every year and it stays the same.

BostonBart22

Thread starter #6
It’s a bloody farce that Belfast have the final based on seedings after the group stages - with the Scottish teams in their group, that’s always going to be the case. If not at a neutral venue, it should revert to a 2 legged final as in the quarters and semis. This competition needs a major overhaul, but we seem to say the same things every year and it stays the same.
It's probably a gentleman's agreement like wage cap.

Rempel16

I thought last year had something to do with covid and not having spare dates for fixtures? POFW was knocked back too as a result? No excuse this year so should be on the weekend surely.
That’s a good point. I guess that it was deemed a success because it sold out, despite being midweek, so they’ve been able to roll it out again.

TL91

That’s a good point. I guess that it was deemed a success because it sold out, despite being midweek, so they’ve been able to roll it out again.
Most likely. It should always sell out as a hole team in a final really shouldn’t it. Weekend would give a better opportunity for a neutral venue or even if there is a ‘home team’ to do a 50/50 split on capacity.

Devils86

Whilst I preferred the set arena at the start of the season (mainly when it was IAW lol) the idea that group games actually have some meaning later down the road is good attempt to address the pointless nature of playing a million games to eliminate two sides.

But I agree with the moaning on twitter (especially) that the final should be a 50/50 split. Although it's typically premature given the semi final second leg isn't until the 15th. It appears that because it's being held in Belfast that they aren't doing a straight split. Argument being that a team won't bring 3k across the water on a midweek night, that may well be true. But...

They should make it 50/50 and in the event the Flyers/Orange don't sell out their allocation then they can sell the remainder to Giants fans. They've got the time to organize something.

And given the days of Conferences are gone the groups for the CC group stage need to be randomly drawn or picked on previously season league position - because geography is a BS reason to give a team an advantage...bit like not making the final a 50/50 split due to geography

Ejercito Rojas

Got no problem with it being a one off game but only if it was played at the weekend with a 50/50 ticket allocation.

A one off mid-week cup final in Belfast with minimal or no away fans present is tantamount to rigging the whole competition, particularly when you consider the farce of Belfast getting top seeding by playing the Scottish teams 6 times!

Last edited:

James

Administrator
Have they split the arena 50/50 on sales. There should be an outcry if they let the home fans buy tickets anywhere before the other team are even decided.

Earnie

The whole Challenge Cup competition needs refreshing. We have said it for years .
The comments above highlight where it is falling apart.
We need a new competition , with a new name and new and fairer rules.

Ejercito Rojas

Have they split the arena 50/50 on sales. There should be an outcry if they let the home fans buy tickets anywhere before the other team are even decided.
It appears that tickets for the Final are already on sale via the SSE arena and that Belfast are only withholding the recognised block dedicated to away fans from sale at this point.
Hardly a 50/50 split more like a 90/10 split!

moggy#9

The very idea of seeding determining the venue when the groups are so lopsided is absurd. Of course the Scottish teams won't complain because they just want easy travel. Belfast are obviously the main beneficiaries, then add to that Sheffield and Nottingham wanting to keep as many matches as possible between them and there's little chance of reform.

This is why it's not just the cc that needs sorting, it's the whole management of the league.

I was at the final last year and it just felt like an away game than a final. This must be the only sport that does not play an final in a neutral arena. Should be no away section as there should not be a home and away team. Beyond a joke

Gisland

I was at the final last year and it just felt like an away game than a final. This must be the only sport that does not play an final in a neutral arena. Should be no away section as there should not be a home and away team. Beyond a joke
Didnt Cardiff hold the CC final where the Devils played in that final?