Continental Cup

Devils86

From one of the Q&As with TK last year ISTR him saying that unless you host it entry becomes financially unviable, and then the only reason for entering - and the only reason we originally entered - was the route into the CHL for the winner, which is no longer the case.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see both Steelers and Devils pass up on it. Irrespective of whether we as fans enjoy it (if we enjoy it then we need to buy tickets to go to the games) I can see why organisations will take the pragmatic approach.

Ger-Devils

League criteria hasn’t been updated since 21 season on their website.

If the dates are same for semis and final as this season, Sheffield arena isn’t available for them dates

moggy#9

League criteria hasn’t been updated since 21 season on their website.

If the dates are same for semis and final as this season, Sheffield arena isn’t available for them dates
Goodness, wouldn't it be ironic if we got offered a place from a 4th place finish because no one else wanted it?

E.D.S.

Thread starter #10
We’d have to thank Dupont for getting us in the Conti Cup then. Not a bad season by him when you think about it!!

Have Hope#35

From one of the Q&As with TK last year ISTR him saying that unless you host it entry becomes financially unviable, and then the only reason for entering - and the only reason we originally entered - was the route into the CHL for the winner, which is no longer the case.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see both Steelers and Devils pass up on it. Irrespective of whether we as fans enjoy it (if we enjoy it then we need to buy tickets to go to the games) I can see why organisations will take the pragmatic approach.
It only costs you the flight... Once you arrive in the hosts Country they have to pick up the tab for everything (Transfers/Hotel/Food/Kit Cleaning/Towels) as there's money paid to the host team by the IIHF.

Devils86

It only costs you the flight... Once you arrive in the hosts Country they have to pick up the tab for everything (Transfers/Hotel/Food/Kit Cleaning/Towels) as there's money paid to the host team by the IIHF.
Indeed TK said that too ISTR. Maybe he was talking about the lost revenue from a home game that sells out that weekend, or stewarding or....who knows, just raising what he said.

moggy#9

It seems almost like Guildford are the elite league's equivalent to Bracknell in the ISL. They perform at a fast higher level than anyone would expect, mainly due to the deep pockets of their owner. Their rink is limited, and their fans base relatively small. You have to imagine that they're vulnerable as a club.

BTW this isn't a dig at them or Bracknell. The Bees were a club that I had huge respect for. When I went there to write about a game they were wonderful, as was the case whenever I wanted to interview one of their players. I think it's an absolute disgrace that they no longer have a rink.

Last edited:
B

Belkster

And if they don't like it, they won't go to the games? I doubt it...

Have Hope#35

Indeed TK said that too ISTR. Maybe he was talking about the lost revenue from a home game that sells out that weekend, or stewarding or....who knows, just raising what he said.
He'd said that after all expenses of hosting you only make the equivalent of about 1 match night. The costs for a traveling team should be nothing exept travel to the destination.

lloyd_jeff

Reminds me of the Wage Cap excuse, Todd is running a business and as fans how that is done really isn’t anything to do with us, nor is his reasoning, even when the public reason is bollards.