GENERAL - Continental Cup Final 2024

ASHIPP

Not to mention the excitement of seeing opposition from other countries in our own Home. Thinking back to visiting teams during our rounds in the CHL, it's a different level and different style of hockey. Our team has a chance in this competition....wouldn't it be a fantastic moment to be there IF they actually lifted the trophy?

It's another opportunity to heighten the Club's profile on the European scene, hosting the final round and participating in it. Down the line, it could help when recruiting players.

Martynwo

This round? The final?

So you'd prefer to win a domestic trophy over a European title which we have never won?
Absolutely, Challenge cup or preferably League title every time. We will be remembered as league winners rather than a
This round? The final?

So you'd prefer to win a domestic trophy over a European title which we have never won?
We need to be a powerhouse once again domestically, we are being out played and out coached domestically we need to focus on what is our bread and butter. We will be remembered as league winners rather than a "continental cup winner" .
Genuine question which would you rather League title or 2nd ranked European cup CHL being the 1st ranked

Have Hope#35

Absolutely, Challenge cup or preferably League title every time. We will be remembered as league winners rather than a

We need to be a powerhouse once again domestically, we are being out played and out coached domestically we need to focus on what is our bread and butter. We will be remembered as league winners rather than a "continental cup winner" .
Genuine question which would you rather League title or 2nd ranked European cup CHL being the 1st ranked
Challenge Cup is about as prestigious as the Aladdin Cup... Continental Cup Win would be huge!

tim78

The Challange Cup is basically 6 games against 3 different teams (there is no point in the group stage).

Continental Cup is 6 games against 6 varying styled high quality teams in a weekend styled fun.

No one remembers the challenge cup, but more teams / fans are aware of the Continental Cup. For 1 season I would have it over the league and play offs.

Ejercito Rojas

Agreed. Challenge cup and, for that matter the play offs, are like Micky mouse competitions.
As a long time ST holder I don’t even bother to go to the CC games.
A completely pointless, seemingly endless round of games against the same teams, it’s virtually impossible to fail to qualify for the qtr finals.
As for the Playoffs all you need is 24hrs of 'hot goaltending'!
Only the league title has any Kudos and we have very little chance of winning that as inconsistency seems to be a by word for us these last few seasons!

Last edited:

Earnie

Agree
We have been airing our views with consistency for years about the Challenge Cup and no one takes the slightest bit of notice. We need the games for revenue but use some imagination and dream up a better format and target to aim for. I am sure others before me have suggested - just do away with it and let it all be League.

Kevlar68

I'd prefer second ranked European cup as it gives the team so much more exposure and the players themselves would love the prospect of being Champions of Europe whether it be a second ranked cup or not.
How many hockey fans around Europe do you reckon would watch the British league game paying via teams webcast compared to a European cup final on a free IIHF Youtube channel?
Look at our banners in the arena how many times we've won the league, the playoffs and the CC, a Continental Cup win would be an amazing effort to show that we can compete in Europe and raise the profile of our team and the British game.

There's allot more comes with it when you win a European title compared to just beating our domestic rivals.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Agree
We have been airing our views with consistency for years about the Challenge Cup and no one takes the slightest bit of notice. We need the games for revenue but use some imagination and dream up a better format and target to aim for. I am sure others before me have suggested - just do away with it and let it all be League.
There could be a place for both the challenge cup and playoffs, but they have to represent different challenges. As they are they're all decided within a few weeks of each other, so a team that's hot and free of injuries has a good chance of all three.

Get the challenge cup finished early, reward the team that gets initially recruitment right and has a hot start. The league as always rewards consistency, and the playoffs should reward dealing with pressure situations at the business end of the season, when everyone is banged up and tired. Of course, for the play offs to be meaningful, they need a proper format to maker it less about luck.

I doubt we’ll get any Nomad fans unless they’re living local.

Katowice travel well from previous trips.

Not sure on Herning
Shwmae
You can expect the arrival of an organised group of fans from Katowice as usually. There will be good support and great fun in the stands. I have a question regarding tickets. I live in Dublin, and I'm wondering if it's possible to buy tickets from you and how it is with seating – can one move around the hall smoothly? Thanks

tim78

Hi Hanys,

Tickets I expect will be on sale direct from the devil's website, though not sure how quick they'll go.

Yes in a way, bottom and top of seating section is a walk way which is probably more than most arenas.

If people need more accessibility I believe there is a lift to the top wall way and areas designated but I'd let someone else to confirm or contact the ice rink directly.

Hi Hanys,

Tickets I expect will be on sale direct from the devil's website, though not sure how quick they'll go.

Yes in a way, bottom and top of seating section is a walk way which is probably more than most arenas.

If people need more accessibility I believe there is a lift to the top wall way and areas designated but I'd let someone else to confirm or contact the ice rink directly.
Thanks, Tim.

In that case, I will check your club's website. I need to arrange flight tickets and a hotel. Is there any decent hotel near the ice rink? Thanks.

tim78

The rink is out of town, 1hr walk or taxi/bus (though not sure of the bus details) so it depends if you want to do something after the games as town would better in my opinion it's just finding that transport.

I would contact the Devil's and ask them if they're considering any additional events / transport to the rink for those days.

Wannabe2

Thanks, Tim.

In that case, I will check your club's website. I need to arrange flight tickets and a hotel. Is there any decent hotel near the ice rink? Thanks.
15 mins taxi to City Center, where’s there’s everything you need, 10 mins taxi to Cardiff Bay hotels and bars and restaurants, enjoy.