Eric Neiley MK -> Sheffield

Wannabe2

Strange that this is allowed, don’t get it myself, going back home, retiring, or moving to a different league is one thing, but moving internally between clubs is pretty crappy, and to me very amateurish.

Wannabe2

Apparently 5k compo, it will cost that to bring a new guy in I reckon, Giants and Steelers done it before apparently with Edinburgh, not good.

BostonBart22

Any bets thommo wanted him back at sheffield and was told couldnt afford him, gutted for MK and fans, could be a case of seeing the season out and regroup next season...

Temme

Thread starter #7
There is no transfer window in the EIHL.

From what i understand though clubs can't sign players after a certain date - i believe this is some point mid-late February(?) someone correct me if i'm wrong though as i don't want to look it up.

in the NHL - there are transfer windows that are roughly - off season - and end of January -> End of Feb (again that's not an exact science on my part)

there’s a “gentlemen’s agreement” in place in the EIHL that means clubs can’t approach players from other teams to sign, but in the EIHL there’s also the frankly crazy rule (or at least generally accepted convention) that a player can’t sign for another EIHL club if he leaves through his choice, but can if said player is “released” by a team. This is where compensation comes in, and i'm guessing MK -> Sheffield already have a decent relationship with Shudra being on loan there.

Effectively though, this does mean that come February when MK are stone last, out of contention for anything, Sheffield & MK could "trade" (similar to a loan spell) some of their top players to close out the season in Sheffield to help them win some silverware.

We've never seen this in the EIHL, but it is entirely feasible, and happens in the NHL to some extent, players will be traded vs draft picks to help a team on a play-off run when they themselves are out of the running (effectively then it's a win-win for both teams) Sheffield sign Wallace mid February on a 6 week contract, pay MK for the privilege... Wallace is a free agent at the end of the season, that sort of thing.

Again though "Gentleman's agreement" is a very vague term and means nothing.

pjj365

Like Femme I'm not sure but I get the impression that the "transfer window"/recruitment opportunity (that's external to the leauge) closes once a team qualifies for the playoffs

I would love a definitive/proper and informed answer

Neiley retired at the end of last season, he got bored and told the Steelers that he had changed his mind and would like to return. Steelers had no room for him by then so didn't take him back. I like the way he plays and would have been happy enough if he had signed in Cardiff.

Temme

Thread starter #10
Like Femme I'm not sure but I get the impression that the "transfer window"/recruitment opportunity (that's external to the leauge) closes once a team qualifies for the playoffs

I would love a definitive/proper and informed answer
I've tried searching on the EIHL website and i haven't seen anything at all,

the latest i can see that we've ever signed a player was 11th February, but i can't see the actual rule written anywhere :(

James

Administrator
There is something to do with ITC cards isn't there? They stop issuing them in February or something so you can sign a player from another team, all sides willing, up until the end of the season, but there is a cut off to new players to the league as they can't get an ITC card after a certain date.