A Bit of Perspective

BostonBart22

Of course he's teasing :) Doesn't mean they are going to sign though.
My take on this , they both will want to stay at home with families for xmas , and they will both be here early january short term deal until the end of season, certainly be able to afford it given the players gone and equipment guy not been replaced oh and the one that come and went...I CAN ONLY DREAM....YEAH...plus crowds will increase in attendance..

kristian

Tweet was about a bar tab if I remember rightly. With a photo of the 3 of them. It was a while ago sure someone will be able to find it and paste it on here to clear the confusion up.

Slartibartfast

Going back to the original subject. i.e. perspective and why fans are being so negative, here is my take on it. I think there are a number of different factors.
There will always be the 'not enough fights/physicality crowd. Thats not a criticism thats just the type of hockey some people prefer.
Then there are always some people who you will never please (e.g. is it becoming processional?)
But I think the two biggest factors causing negativity are
1) Sheffield syndrome. Just look at Steelers forum when they went from winning everything to being really good but not quite winning everything. You would think they went to bottom of the league.
Last year was an amazing season but everyone was hoping/expecting that we will top it by winning all the trophies this year and we didn't
2) We were teased by the sublime.
This team played some bloody incredible hockey at the beginning of this season. Noone in the league could contend with such skill and chemistry. Then it changed. What noone knows is why. It could just be that other teams got better but I and others suspect there is something more. Personally I think it is not a Lord issue, Kelman issue or owners issue. I have total faith in these guys. History tells me its a player issue. Who remembers Frank Evans punching Pope during a line change. Players do fall out over hockey, women, who got the assist, personality clashes and God knows what else. Whatever it is, this is still a damn good team but whatever has happened or is happening has cost us the dream of a clean sweep. So I understand some of the negativity.
That being said some of the criticism is OTT and I suspect that quite a few of the posts here and on facebook are made under varying levels of intoxication.
It is clear that some of the criticism is also getting to some of the players which will not help. That doesn't mean we should be censored but maybe we can all make an effort to be more positive and if we lose post our dismay after the first pint not the 6th. Finnys post is a good reality check. Things are actually pretty good (they are just not out of this world good).
So Im going to make an effort to be more positive. I hope others will join me.
P.S. I stopped drinking over a year ago so I have no excuses for anything stupid I have posted.

Wannabe2

Great post and nothing more than what’s expected from a true Devils experienced fan, if you ain’t sure about the content then please read again, not sure about players falling out, but that bit was about seasons ago. We are a unbelievable team away from home, but have a huge barrier when it comes to home games. What the problem is, who knows. Let’s get behind the guys Saturday, let’s be the extra man for the rest of the home season. Then when we win the league, we can all say I done my part for that success, I was there and I done my bit for MY TEAM.

Diablo3

The team will get my vocal support regardless, but I have a feeling we will be there, or thereabouts at the end of the season.

My team and always will be, if anything the last few weeks have made me more passionate and a little protective of our organisation. I agree, think we will be in the mix at the season end, long way to go . Looking forward to Christmas games.

Hockeymad

I think every fan that turns up are behind the team and very supportive from the first whistle.

But half way through the game they are either getting beat or showing no fight/fire in the belly. This is then when most fans get annoyed and start shouting negative things towards the team.

point of order :) Whistle signed Bowns
Actually, love him or hate him, Brent Pope was actually behind the deal that brought Bownsey to us!
And I agree with many points on here! ...as everyone knows, I can be a slightly controversial poster on here at the best of times. Deep down I believe we will be up there at the end of the season, despite our bad patch. As Finny says it's all dependant on what everyone's bar is for ice hockey. For me it was probably the Weller year, or where we overachieved and won the challenge cup, with an honourable mention for the start of the year where we were dismantling teams and they just couldn't cope with us!

Rich Best

I'm as disappointed as anyone when we lose at home, but some of the comments on here and social media are just ridiculously OTT.
"We need a clear out this summer"
"We need to hire and fire like Thommo does"
"Lord and the management don't know what they are doing".
Please.

I know somebody started to compare this season and last season but I had already done similar so I'm going to post it anyway.

So far this season we have played 33 games. Won 22 and lost 11. Scored 141 goals and conceeded 91.
At this point last season we had played 30 games. Won 20 and lost 10. Scored 114 and conceeded 91.
So I would argue we are actually doing better than we had last season.

So far in the league this season we have played 25 games. Won 17 and lost 4 in regulation for 38 points.
At this point last season we had played 24 games. Won 17 and lost 6 in regulation for 35 points.
So again, we are ahead of where we were last season.

Looking through the results, by now we had played Belfast twice and lost twice - gaining just 1 point from a possible 4.
We'd lost 6-1 at home to Manchester. 8-6 at home to Fife (having been something ridiculous like 4 goals ahead?). In mid-November we lost 4 out of 5 games.

Are we really doing that much worse than last season?

I've read the posts claiming that they've got inside knowledge that there is trouble within camp. Presumably this trouble though only affects our performances at home because away we are sensational. 12 wins from 15 is remarkable.

Clearly we have a confidence issue at home. I've seen comments on here like "well if players don't like criticism I don't want them in the trenches with me".
Utter nonsense. These people are human. "Home Advantage" is a thing because players thrive on support and struggle under criticism.

Last season it was around this time we really clicked on went on some great runs. This team is good enough to do it again but we can only do that if we are united, and criticising people by name on here and social media will just do the opposite.
This is one of the best posts I have read on here for a LONG time. Thank you, truly thank you.

Here is my take on it. Why are so many fans bothered. Honestly who cares.......
I think people care because they spend their hard earned cash to come and watch the games, so if they're not being entertained, they're more than entitled to have a say. I for one never spend money on something if I don't care what I'm given! Sometimes I leave the rink thinking I've had a bargain, other times not so much. I'd like to say it all evens out over the course of the season but I've not been keeping a checklist...

Mazzoak

I think people care because they spend their hard earned cash to come and watch the games, so if they're not being entertained, they're more than entitled to have a say. I for one never spend money on something if I don't care what I'm given! Sometimes I leave the rink thinking I've had a bargain, other times not so much. I'd like to say it all evens out over the course of the season but I've not been keeping a checklist...
I get that, my point was directed at this thread concerning perspective and the various defensive opinions. Why do fans care what others write. You watch your game, I’ll watch mine, you write your opinions, I’ll write mine. Why others favour to pick points in others opinions is beyond me.......

pjj365

In answer to Red Mist - there are plenty of people who care because they are fans - not because they calculate value for money for the ticket price

I have seen examples on here of people who can't afford a season ticket but buy the webcast regularly, there are those who live abroad who also buy the webcast - and not just Ice Time but all webcasts. I know people who have had season tickets through thick and thin.

Why do people care? Because they are fans and they just do care. Some turn up and go on away trips regardless of cost, the impact on overdrafts/credit cards or even current runs of form.

If you criteria is VFM then fine but I would suggest that you should allow a degree of criticism. The die hard fans as opposed to the VFM fans may feel they have a different perspective - and having gone through the lean years may seem to be happy clappers at the moment

This is not unique to the Devils but is common across all sports.

Wagstaff

In answer to Red Mist - there are plenty of people who care because they are fans - not because they calculate value for money for the ticket price

I have seen examples on here of people who can't afford a season ticket but buy the webcast regularly, there are those who live abroad who also buy the webcast - and not just Ice Time but all webcasts. I know people who have had season tickets through thick and thin.

Why do people care? Because they are fans and they just do care. Some turn up and go on away trips regardless of cost, the impact on overdrafts/credit cards or even current runs of form.

If you criteria is VFM then fine but I would suggest that you should allow a degree of criticism. The die hard fans as opposed to the VFM fans may feel they have a different perspective - and having gone through the lean years may seem to be happy clappers at the moment

This is not unique to the Devils but is common across all sports.
It’s worth remembering that there’s 20ish players on the opposition bench who are out to ruin your day, sometimes they will sometimes they won’t, the only thing the club can control is the off ice show.
Will you win the league, I think so
Will you have to fight tooth and nail for it, I hope so, I’d hate it to be a walk in the park and if it is, you are in the wrong league and have out grown it, but ladders are two way devices, so enjoy the sport not just the trophies

PS I’ve only attached my comment to the last one as it was the last post and invoked my thoughts, I’m not disagreeing with you pjj