Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2018/19

osh

An explanation as to why my post is far from an accurate comparison?
Oh dear, if I must have to spell it out.

Comparing the signing O’Connor signing for the Devils as against Cardiff City signing the best footballer in the world ?
Had you have compared City to signing perhaps someone decent from the premier league, I might have agreed.
There is no comparison in your statement, not a ‘pop’ at you personally, had anyone else made such a poor comparison, I would have said the same, hope that’s enough for you.

James

Administrator
They saw the success we had with Bowns and wanted to emulate that and give themselves the extra depth a GB goalie provides, hence ditching Moose and going with Whistle. I think.

kettdevil1

They saw the success we had with Bowns and wanted to emulate that and give themselves the extra depth a GB goalie provides, hence ditching Moose and going with Whistle. I think.
Yes, but I would argue it was more than that. Stats only give you so much information. My perception is that the bigger the game, the better Bowns gets, I would say that this was not the same with the Moose. He gives up a LOT of rebounds, this means that his D has to operate in a very specific way and he is often called to make multiple saves which bump up his stats.

I am not arguing that he isn’t a good NM, he is (although I would always take Bowns first), more that he is not the answer to the problems Sheffield have

Temme

Yes, but I would argue it was more than that. Stats only give you so much information. My perception is that the bigger the game, the better Bowns gets, I would say that this was not the same with the Moose. He gives up a LOT of rebounds, this means that his D has to operate in a very specific way and he is often called to make multiple saves which bump up his stats.

I am not arguing that he isn’t a good NM, he is (although I would always take Bowns first), more that he is not the answer to the problems Sheffield have
Bowns has just come off a stellar weekend and is clutch for us, however with that being said, there are some things I do think:

Bowns is the most valuable player in the league. Having a British netminder of EIHL calibre is a massive reason for our success recently.

If i had to personally rank the netminders man to man for this season...

1) Killeen
2) Besko
3) Shane Owen
4) Bowns
5) Sjogren

would all probably be my top 5.

However as i said above, Bowns is more valuable than any of those guys as he allows us an extra import - which in turn makes his own life easier as the quality of the shots he faces on a nightly basis are generally not as bad as someone like Killeen, who's having a frankly bafflingly good year whilst playing for a bottom of the league team.

kettdevil1

Interesting stuff, I suppose it also depends on the criteria you use to rank them. Killeen has been superb but how would he cope if he moved to a top team and faced half the number of shots each night? Besko is great but would you back him above Bowns in a tight game? I am not so sure.... for me, Bowns has been there, done it and leaving aside the GB element, that is why I would place him higher on the list.

Temme

Interesting stuff, I suppose it also depends on the criteria you use to rank them. Killeen has been superb but how would he cope if he moved to a top team and faced half the number of shots each night? Besko is great but would you back him above Bowns in a tight game? I am not so sure.... for me, Bowns has been there, done it and leaving aside the GB element, that is why I would place him higher on the list.
all very valid points.

Kileen may be having such a good year as he's having to stay focused ALL the time, and may struggle if it was less intense at a better club.

The reverse could maybe be said about Besko/bowns - Besko didn't do much for me at Edinburgh last year, although to be fair Edinburgh were god awful, but look at him now!

All i know is i'm very very very glad we have Ben Bowns in net & long may it continue.

voth26

In answer to your question about backing Besko above Ben in a tight game, for me I think the weekend games answered that, Ben gives us a chance to win every night, I get not everyone is his greatest fan and that's their choice but for me I hope he's a Devil for a long time to come like quite a few other guys as well!!.