GB/Devils

kettdevil1

Ciaran Long not being in is an absolute disgrace after the season he's had.
Given he is injured I would say that disgrace is rather strong. He hasn’t skated in the training camp and given the nature of his injury I would say taking him is a risk... a fully fit Long would be a cert but .... who would you drop to accommodate him and would a partially fit Long be better than that player?

Rempel16

Given he is injured I would say that disgrace is rather strong. He hasn’t skated in the training camp and given the nature of his injury I would say taking him is a risk... a fully fit Long would be a cert but .... who would you drop to accommodate him and would a partially fit Long be better than that player?
He has a bruised ankle that the GB doctors themselves told his family will clear in a few days.

The fact he's liking tweets that say he should be in suggests he doesn't think his injury is an issue.

In what country does the player awarded homegrown player of the year in the top league not make the national team?

Based on his form this year there's any number of players he could replace... Lachowicz being the main one. There's an argument that based on his form this year he could go ahead of Farmer, Perlini and Ferrara. He should be a certainty.

The 'injury' card makes no sense considering Steve Lee has been picked and there's no certainty on him.

So yeah, I stand by my disgrace comment.

pjj365

How many times have we seen a "great" player fail in the UK

How many times have we seen a "poor" player star

It's about a team - who knows what the dynamics are

kettdevil1

He has a bruised ankle that the GB doctors themselves told his family will clear in a few days.

The fact he's liking tweets that say he should be in suggests he doesn't think his injury is an issue.

In what country does the player awarded homegrown player of the year in the top league not make the national team?

Based on his form this year there's any number of players he could replace... Lachowicz being the main one. There's an argument that based on his form this year he could go ahead of Farmer, Perlini and Ferrara. He should be a certainty.

The 'injury' card makes no sense considering Steve Lee has been picked and there's no certainty on him.

So yeah, I stand by my disgrace comment.
If fit, I totally agree that he should be included but given he has not been skating with the GB team and an ankle is rather more fundamental to a hockey player than Stevie Lee’s jaw, I can see the logic if there is a serious question mark over his fitness.

Lacho plays a different role to Long in the GB team so I can’t see that switch being logical. The interesting one is Farmer who has been immense for GB and surely one of the first names on the team sheet but.... missed the playoffs.

RTfarty

How many times have we seen a "great" player fail in the UK

How many times have we seen a "poor" player star

It's about a team - who knows what the dynamics are
Exactly, and nobody will have a better understanding of the dynamics than Pete Russel. Two back to back promotions and a GB team in the top division for the first time in 20 years would suggest he knows what he's doing.

Long will no doubt be a regular for GB in the coming years.

jimmy snels

is he someone we should be setting our own targets on? very good season for manchester. could he bring 3rd line scoring depth whilst allowing us to roll an extra import in a different role?

ASHIPP

Whilst it's true that those players selected will be filling particular roles on Russell's team, it is hard to deny that there are one or two players (like David Philips and Robert Lachowicz) who had very, very average seasons with their Elite League teams, teams that either scraped into the Playoff rounds or didn't qualify at all.....and all of a sudden they are world beaters? Individually, Phillips is not better than Josh. He just happens to be paired with O'Connor at Steelers and he makes anyone look better. When those awesome NHL forwards playing for USA, Canada and Finland are steaming towards Bownsey, perhaps Russell might just regret not selecting that 6'4" defensive beast from the Cardiff Devils who could disrupt the opposition game.

The inclusion of even more dual nationals on the team does divide opinion. It's essential we have these British Canadian and British American guys who bring a certain style and skill set to keep the National Team at its current level. On the other hand, unfortunately, it now limits the places availble for British players who will have to work even harder to compete for them.

Wagstaff

I think you have to consider a balance which needs to include some older faces, who probably don’t stand out as much as some younger players, but will hopefully bring experience and calm to the team.
Have to say I’d have Josh Batch in the team and struggle to understand the logic as to why he’s not one of those you can take for granted as automatically on the first draft of the team sheet.

RTfarty

Whilst it's true that those players selected will be filling particular roles on Russell's team, it is hard to deny that there are one or two players (like David Philips and Robert Lachowicz) who had very, very average seasons with their Elite League teams, teams that either scraped into the Playoff rounds or didn't qualify at all.....and all of a sudden they are world beaters? Individually, Phillips is not better than Josh. He just happens to be paired with O'Connor at Steelers and he makes anyone look better. When those awesome NHL forwards playing for USA, Canada and Finland are steaming towards Bownsey, perhaps Russell might just regret not selecting that 6'4" defensive beast from the Cardiff Devils who could disrupt the opposition game.
I wouldn't say Josh is a superior player either though. Both bring different skills to the table and play completely different roles. Phillips however does have far more experience at club and international level and plays more minutes, as well as a bigger role for Sheffield, than Batch does here. I would also argue that his skating is better, which will be key at this tournament. As for being paired with O'Connor, is it not more beneficial to play a D pairing who spend the majority of the year on the ice together?

I've never subscribed to the bashing of Phillips that is so common on this forum and I'm yet to see any other fan base complain about his inclusion in the GB squad as much as ours has.