Standing Area

Swarley

Tell me why I would pay £18 for 6 home games in a group where we can finish bottom and still qualify?

What a waste of money.
Because as a fan it isn't about what what games are being played it's about being behind the team no matter what.

You might view it as a waste of money but an entire block didn't and the fact you come across as negative about the songs we sang even though you didn't even go to the game makes me glad you didn't turn up because your negativity isn't wanted.

Slartibartfast

It was the atmosphere that first got me into hockey 30 years ago (as I had no idea what was going on in the game). In the time since I have witnessed some great atmospheres and some awful atmospheres. Block 13 is going to play an important role. Having that constant chanting means there will always be an atmosphere.
I have been to games in the DEL and in Austria and it always impresses me with the constant buzz of the standing blocks. I have always thought, I wish we had that. Now we have.
I don't care if they sing "she'll be coming around the mountain" all night. As long they are making noise it adds to the atmosphere.
Well done block 13.

Devilsatw

Whe
Because as a fan it isn't about what what games are being played it's about being behind the team no matter what.

You might view it as a waste of money but an entire block didn't and the fact you come across as negative about the songs we sang even though you didn't even go to the game makes me glad you didn't turn up because your negativity isn't wanted.
Where have I been negative?? I said did they sing any other song because all I seen was the allez allez allez song!!

If that’s negative then god help us

Swarley

Whe

Where have I been negative?? I said did they sing any other song because all I seen was the allez allez allez song!!

If that’s negative then god help us
Pretty much any time you've posted anything, from saying we will be kicking players out, right upto saying that you've seen four videos of us singing one song all you do is come across as negative and grumpy.

pjj365

Before I'm jumped on this is not an anti Bl13 people post but an anti Bl13 post.

The concept is great, the fans are great but as has been said Bl13 is isolated. Away fans on one side, casuals and walk ups + a few ST holders on the other with the bulk of week in out, rain or shine ST holders at the other end of the arena. Yes the vibe spreads - but slowly.

The other issue I believe is using the whole block and the fact that it is behind high glass and nets. It bounces the sound off the glass and the nets dull the sound. So the vibe goes more round the arena than through/across it.

Ideally the people should be "moved" to say Blks 9 or 19 and we know what that means in terms of displacing high revenue seats and/or sponsors - so unlikely.

Going forward Blks 3 or 4 might be better but not the whole block (repeating the Bl13 glass problem). Instead maybe the top 3 rows of Blks 2, 3, 4 and 5 - or a something similar (more top rows in 3 & 4 would be better concentrated). Given the number of ST holders here I do not see this as a this season action but a plan for next season and that season's ticket marketing.

In the meantime keep using Bl13 and let the fans keep on belting out their combined support.

Oh, and has been said get well soon Sully. We need a DJ sensitive to the mood. We don't need music if the fans and driving the noise and support.

JC23

Before I'm jumped on this is not an anti Bl13 people post but an anti Bl13 post.

The concept is great, the fans are great but as has been said Bl13 is isolated. Away fans on one side, casuals and walk ups + a few ST holders on the other with the bulk of week in out, rain or shine ST holders at the other end of the arena. Yes the vibe spreads - but slowly.

The other issue I believe is using the whole block and the fact that it is behind high glass and nets. It bounces the sound off the glass and the nets dull the sound. So the vibe goes more round the arena than through/across it.

Ideally the people should be "moved" to say Blks 9 or 19 and we know what that means in terms of displacing high revenue seats and/or sponsors - so unlikely.

Going forward Blks 3 or 4 might be better but not the whole block (repeating the Bl13 glass problem). Instead maybe the top 3 rows of Blks 2, 3, 4 and 5 - or a something similar (more top rows in 3 & 4 would be better concentrated). Given the number of ST holders here I do not see this as a this season action but a plan for next season and that season's ticket marketing.

In the meantime keep using Bl13 and let the fans keep on belting out their combined support.

Oh, and has been said get well soon Sully. We need a DJ sensitive to the mood. We don't need music if the fans and driving the noise and support.
I agree in part to this.

Block 13 is isolated, and it is difficult to get the noise to spread from that end of the rink with all of the casuals and walk ups as you say.

I do think though that if it was only the back few rows of a few blocks, you’re opening up a whole can of worms for complaints from people who want to sit in that block.

It’s a tough one. Personally, I would love a bigger block on one of the sides as you said. But genuinely don’t see that happening.

Swarley

I agree in part to this.

Block 13 is isolated, and it is difficult to get the noise to spread from that end of the rink with all of the casuals and walk ups as you say.

I do think though that if it was only the back few rows of a few blocks, you’re opening up a whole can of worms for complaints from people who want to sit in that block.

It’s a tough one. Personally, I would love a bigger block on one of the sides as you said. But genuinely don’t see that happening.
Can't see them moving it to a block on the sides as it's gold seating and people wouldn't want to give up sitting there I think having it in block 13 pushed new life into an otherwise empty section of the arena

The_Puck

That was one of the best home games I’ve ever been to. From someone who’s wanted a standing section for years, i didn’t hesitate when it was announced there was to be a standing section. From puck drop to the teams leaving the ice at the end of the game we were signing non stop and it still gives me chills. This is why I love hockey and this is why I fell in love with the sport.
The only issue I’ve found with it is the placement of it. From someone who was in that block and speaking to others who were in it and around it, it’s far too close to the away fans, and there’s definitely going to be some issues when larger groups of fans arrive to the rink. It needs to be on the other side of the rink where we shoot twice. That’s my thoughts though. Otherwise, the standing section is amazing and I would permanently move there to be within that crowd.

Swarley

That was one of the best home games I’ve ever been to. From someone who’s wanted a standing section for years, i didn’t hesitate when it was announced there was to be a standing section. From puck drop to the teams leaving the ice at the end of the game we were signing non stop and it still gives me chills. This is why I love hockey and this is why I fell in love with the sport.
The only issue I’ve found with it is the placement of it. From someone who was in that block and speaking to others who were in it and around it, it’s far too close to the away fans, and there’s definitely going to be some issues when larger groups of fans arrive to the rink. It needs to be on the other side of the rink where we shoot twice. That’s my thoughts though. Otherwise, the standing section is amazing and I would permanently move there to be within that crowd.
See I don't agree with being the other end purely because Bownsy seemed to really love having us behind him last night, main reason we got the go ahead for standing in block 13 is because it's been dead that end for ages, we got an opportunity to bring some life into that section and we did, moving it will only kill the atmosphere we created in the normally silent end block 4 is usually noisy so it doesn't need adding to it.

pjj365

See I don't agree with being the other end purely because Bownsy seemed to really love having us behind him last night, main reason we got the go ahead for standing in block 13 is because it's been dead that end for ages, we got an opportunity to bring some life into that section and we did, moving it will only kill the atmosphere we created in the normally silent end block 4 is usually noisy so it doesn't need adding to it.
Take the point about bring an end of the arena to life but Bl4 was quieter than usual because the drums and vocal ones were in Bl13 - swings and round abouts.

TBF the nature of the arena is such that where you sit had an impact on what you see/hear. The best vantage point has to be the gantry so Todd's comments maybe the most valid and he loved it.

Let's keep kicking ideas around but for now keep the block

Swarley

Take the point about bring an end of the arena to life but Bl4 was quieter than usual because the drums and vocal ones were in Bl13 - swings and round abouts.

TBF the nature of the arena is such that where you sit had an impact on what you see/hear. The best vantage point has to be the gantry so Todd's comments maybe the most valid and he loved it.

Yeah totally agree

Having said that maybe Todd should let us go up in the gantry and cheer lol

Block 13 was amazing last night. Absolutely loved the atmosphere! Great job to everyone that was there! All the people around me in block 10 loved it. Fellow season ticket holders and the few newbies who were around thought you was brilliant. One question though, can someone post the lyrics to the Allez Allez Allez song please. I've figured out the start of it I believe, but not all of it. Made it tough to join in with you guys.

Swarley

Block 13 was amazing last night. Absolutely loved the atmosphere! Great job to everyone that was there! All the people around me in block 10 loved it. Fellow season ticket holders and the few newbies who were around thought you was brilliant. One question though, can someone post the lyrics to the Allez Allez Allez song please. I've figured out the start of it I believe, but not all of it. Made it tough to join in with you guys.

We are the Cardiff Devils
We come from down the bay
Our captains joey Martin
And we have Charles Linglet
Andrew Lord and Kelman
They took us to the top
And where they go we'll follow
I'm never gonna stop
Allez Allez Allez

There ya go bud

I found Bl4 trying to start the usual chants but with the noise from bl13 singing different chants, it was almost as if they were competing against each other.

Would also be useful for some of the new chants to be distributed around the rink for people to learn as sitting in bl7 it was hard to understand some of the lyrics.

I personally heard a chant that sounded like 'he looks like chewbacca'

I think it's safe to say there's either a troll on this forum who is posting controversial remarks for a reaction or someone who has an extremely negative blinkered view and to be frank doesn't have much of a clue what they are talking about. Probably best to just ignore them as they are dragging so many topics off track its spoiling a good discussion amongst the well informed hockey supporters we have here....whilst I do not post a lot this is one of the main reasons why and it's infurtiating from a viewing perspective.

Rant over, seems the Block 13 idea went down a storm, and whilst I wasn't at the game the atmosphere was electric....long may it continue!

Well done to all in block 13 - I've dubbed it 'Hell's Gate'. You guys and girls certainly turned the keys to open up hell last night! The extra energy it gave the arena and the guys on the ice was evident. Opposition players really won't want to get off the coach and skate into that cauldron!

Swarley

Well done to all in block 13 - I've dubbed it 'Hell's Gate'. You guys and girls certainly turned the keys to open up hell last night! The extra energy it gave the arena and the guys on the ice was evident. Opposition players really won't want to get off the coach and skate into that cauldron!
I loved the fact blaze fans couldn't get a song out at all Bownsy had a grin ear to ear both periods you could see it helped up his game.