20/21 Squad

Wannabe2

Thread starter #81
If Bownsy has gone, we will have a top import netty, and the slack will be picked up by Lordo, that has to be true.

jenks33

I’ve said for months I think Bowns needs a new challenge. If he comes back then great but he was clearly gutted that he didn’t get a move to a better league after his performances for GB last summer. He must have been tired last season but I questioned his hunger at times too. Just my opinion though. Like I said I’m happy enough if he comes back but I think he needs and deserves a new challenge in a better league. He’s 29 so he probably feels it’s now or never

jenks33

I would be shocked if Whistle is our number 1. Can’t see it happening. I appreciate he’s a Brit but It would be very strange for us to sign Nottingham’s back up Nettie. I’m sure Lordo will be looking at better goalies to fill bownsy’s boots

CaldicotDevil

we would need another British player to roll 4 full lines assuming rutkis is still signed
Tricky one for Lordo. If you lose Bownys do you just keep Rutkis as a cheap 4th line option or do you go after a prize 2/3rd line Brit. With a view of them being Myers/Richie successors. If its the latter then its slim pickings; Conway, Farmer Venus, Long Hook, Davies or my personal choice Cownie from Dundee.

CaldicotDevil

I would be shocked if Whistle is our number 1. Can’t see it happening. I appreciate he’s a Brit but It would be very strange for us to sign Nottingham’s back up Nettie. I’m sure Lordo will be looking at better goalies to fill bownsy’s boots
Avoid whistle at all cost. My concerns with Whistle is he's become a bit of a journey man. Either teams aren't that impressed with him and let him leave or he's chases the money.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #86
We will have a quality netty that goes without a doubt, and I think the Brit spot will be filled with a quality player, we are a classy club who looks after there players, we will be just fine.

ASHIPP

If this is true, well done Bownsey. Think it was a matter of time and opportunity before this happened. Sporting careers are short and Ben deserves to spread his wings to see what he can do. Hoping he will return to the fold eventually.

In the meantime, am sure Todd and Lordo have already been planning to fill this absolutely key position. they will have known about Ben's intentions for a long time. Can see them planning two options......a proven, quality import starter with a solid British backup, or maybe go the tandem goalie route.

There is strength in the debate about more British players joining the Club. Never ruled out a Ben Davies return eventually and that would be great. He is a different player now to 5 years ago.

BostonBart22

If this is true, well done Bownsey. Think it was a matter of time and opportunity before this happened. Sporting careers are short and Ben deserves to spread his wings to see what he can do. Hoping he will return to the fold eventually.

In the meantime, am sure Todd and Lordo have already been planning to fill this absolutely key position. they will have known about Ben's intentions for a long time. Can see them planning two options......a proven, quality import starter with a solid British backup, or maybe go the tandem goalie route.

There is strength in the debate about more British players joining the Club. Never ruled out a Ben Davies return eventually and that would be great. He is a different player now to 5 years ago.
TBH it looks like its gonna be a shorter season as things stand so if anything it will be 1 import nettie and murdy if he wants to stay or get a contract to stay, we will see...

matbur

The fact the report about Bowns joining Graz 99ers is coming from their end is quite telling and there is probably more than of grain of truth in it.

The opportunity for him to test himself at a higher level is long overdue and it's been a real pleasure watching him play for the Devils. He has been a huge part of what has been achieved. I hope the move, if indeed it is what wants, works out for him, particularly under the current circumstances, and that he makes a real success of it.

I've never met the guy but have the impression he is works extremely hard and is a good pro. If he does go, he will be able to walk out of the Devils with his head held high.

Earnie

He was already signed up when the new ownership came into being and has been our backbone throughout. If he goes to Graz I shall miss him and I wish him all success there. It is a very large feather in his helmet.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #97
Would be a great shame to lose Bownsy if it is in fact true, only time will tell, if it is true I would sign Ben Davies in a heartbeat, always liked Ben 100% player. Mind you Guildford wouldn’t want to lose him, and rightly so.

voth26

If Ben goes leave then he can leave with his head high, he's been a big part of the success the Devils have had in the last 5/6 yrs and deserves a shot abroad although I hope he's here next season, I also think there is a possibility more players leaving than we think including some serious fan favorites, only my opinion but a lot of these guys have been here for 5/6 years now and won a lot of silverware and might fancy a new challenge??