The future of the Elite League and its teams

Wannabe2

Just throwing this out there, if there was a chance of a season starting the first week of Nov that’s 4 1/2 months away what’s your views on how it would be.Now none of us can foresee what the crack will be in approx 18 weeks time, but with the way things are moving forward,and taking into consideration there obviously could be a backlash still to come, what’s your views. Could it happen, or is it out of the question, get your crystal balls out folks. Taking into account it’s about bums on seats, forget webcasts, and tv as these are not feasible.

Just throwing this out there, if there was a chance of a season starting the first week of Nov that’s 4 1/2 months away what’s your views on how it would be.Now none of us can foresee what the crack will be in approx 18 weeks time, but with the way things are moving forward,and taking into consideration there obviously could be a backlash still to come, what’s your views. Could it happen, or is it out of the question, get your crystal balls out folks. Taking into account it’s about bums on seats, forget webcasts, and tv as these are not feasible.
I am very doubtful that there will be a season this year as much as I keep telling my self there will be deep down I don’t think there will be , as China are on lock down again , Germany not letting gatherings happen now until end of October at the earliest , I just don’t think things look good atall ! And with out the uk hockey having a full stadium I don’t see how things would plan out and work !

I think we'll just delay the start of the season to run parallel with the NHL 20/21 season. This would mean a start date of Dec/Jan which seems a lot more realistic.

I can see most European leagues doing this as well.

moggy#9

I strongly believe that by November we will be in the midst of a second lockdown. If covid19 is anything but eliminated the advent of the normal winter flu season will mean that we're back to having to protect the NHS. I'm feeling very negative about there being any hockey in the 20/21 season.

pjj365

We need to just go with the flow.

Speculating when there are 4 Governments involved, each taking a different routes out of lock down, is a mugs game. 5 of the teams come under the influence of 3 Governments so who knows

august04

Unless we’re all vaccinated in September - which has been reported as possible but also seen as doubtful by many - then I just cannot see a return for hockey in October (the Welsh government might not have even lifted the 5 mile restriction/guidance by then!!). I’d be quite happy with a later start, it doesn’t really bother me whether it starts in October or December. If the latter means we can do it more safely and “normally”, then I’d be happy with that.

kingmo19.1

Without a crystal ball or the help of my best mate, who knows what the future holds. I fear the global situation might be worse come the autumn, thus individual countries being extra vigilant and taking minimal risks. The scientists appear to be making progress, so hopefully they’ll find a vaccine sooner than later. Post Furlough, with unemployment at 90% I don’t think we’ll see too many fans!

Im sorry to say this could be the final curtain for a few of the elite leagues teams with no income for foreseeable future.In my opinion this is going to kill off quite a few minority sports in the UK as there is no way they can survive unless they have bank roll owners.

moggy#9

Im sorry to say this could be the final curtain for a few of the elite leagues teams with no income for foreseeable future.In my opinion this is going to kill off quite a few minority sports in the UK as there is no way they can survive unless they have bank roll owners.
The UK is hardly the most diverse spectator sport landscape anyway, with a handful (football, rugby and cricket etc) getting most of the coverage and money. Unless there's government support I don't see things ending well.

BostonBart22

Unless we’re all vaccinated in September - which has been reported as possible but also seen as doubtful by many - then I just cannot see a return for hockey in October (the Welsh government might not have even lifted the 5 mile restriction/guidance by then!!). I’d be quite happy with a later start, it doesn’t really bother me whether it starts in October or December. If the latter means we can do it more safely and “normally”, then I’d be happy with that.
I firmly believe there will be a second wave and much worse, if that happens the season wont start until following september, and this 5 mile restriction is laughable , saying that its only a guideline, nothing stopping you riding a bike to porthcawl and back is there..

Kevlar68

Was watching a segment about theatres this morning and they are looking for help from the government as they can't see them opening again in 2020, also millennium centre has cancelled shows for January. Those types of buildings and businesses run along the same lines as event arenas.

pjj365

Scotland Phase 3 out of lock down - sporting events with restrictions and social distancing. Currently moving into Phase 2

NI has only just allowed training by elite athletes (step 3) Step 5 allows close physical contact sport and some live events on a restricted basis

England & Wales not as clear cut but taking the shuttering of theaters in England and Drakeford's recent statement on no spectator sport this year (which has not declared as policy - he simply stated he cannot see it) it's not looking good.

Basically total confusion reigns so who knows. Fingers crossed though for something coming out of the fog

kingmo19.1

One thing for sure, unless a vaccine is found pretty quickly, we’re in for the mother of all recessions! With Furlough ending in the autumn followed by a likely no deal Brexit in January I hate to think what lies ahead. The grimmest picture being the aforementioned with COVID still spiking until a cure is found - I’ve just totally depressed myself.

BostonBart22

One thing for sure, unless a vaccine is found pretty quickly, we’re in for the mother of all recessions! With Furlough ending in the autumn followed by a likely no deal Brexit in January I hate to think what lies ahead. The grimmest picture being the aforementioned with COVID still spiking until a cure is found - I’ve just totally depressed myself.
Glass of milk wil help...