Signing announcement

Could simply be that the player we were going to announce has signed elsewhere or retired. Don't think cancelling the season would be a decision they'd make so hastily given the fact it's 10 days until the proposed 'final decision'.

Then again, crazier things have happened this off-season...

Last edited:

Rhyan48

Carnt see there been a season this year in all honesty I did think there would be but as time is going on I just don’t think there will be could be a massive blow for the eihl How many people won’t renew tickets and attendance go back to how it use to be , then the standard will go back down , with so many players leaving the eihl already things really do not look good

moggy#9

Thread starter #84
Could simply be that the player we were going to announce has signed elsewhere or retired. Don't think cancelling the season would be a decision they'd make so hastily given the fact it's 10 days until to proposed 'final decision'.

Then again, crazier things have happened this off-season...
The thing is that all of the signings we've seen, and that I've been expecting, are either players I assumed were on multi year deals, or that I'd expected to return. Now, it could just be that there were problems with getting the mechanics of the announcement sorted, but this last minute issue has me worried.

I think we will have a season...
in wales we will be trialing fans in stadiums,
Scotland also said the same from September 12th I believe.

If we are to start the season in December I think everything will be ok

moggy#9

Thread starter #87
I think we will have a season...
in wales we will be trialing fans in stadiums,
Scotland also said the same from September 12th I believe.

If we are to start the season in December I think everything will be ok
As I've said before, there are two very different issues: whether rinks are allowed to open for hockey, and whether fans will feel sufficiently safe to return. The answer for many fans of a certain age may be, no.

BostonBart22

A big if to get the league going, still think it will go ahead , albeit a short season 8 teams max, 2 home 2 away , then 2 x groups of 4 teams fighting for a playoff spot, thats my take...

moggy#9

Thread starter #89
A big if to get the league going, still think it will go ahead , albeit a short season 8 teams max, 2 home 2 away , then 2 x groups of 4 teams fighting for a playoff spot, thats my take...
I still think the best solution would be to move the season to spring/early summer season. That would allow covid to settle down. A short off season and then back to normal for the following season.

Slartibartfast

Drakeford likes to do everything a couple of weeks after everyone else. He will probably open rinks soon but until we see english ice rinks allowing fans in we will not see Cardiff open to fans. I fear that even when they open they will restrict fan numbers which will probably mean a massively reduced budget which means either no hockey or back to 3 import hockey like the old days.
This damn virus is not done yet. Look at France (where I was supposed to be this week). They allowed large gatherings and now they are up 4700 new cases a day which is fast approaching where they were in March/April.

I still think the best solution would be to move the season to spring/early summer season. That would allow covid to settle down. A short off season and then back to normal for the following season.
Can see this being the most likely outcome at the moment. A March to June/July season could be plausible and I'm sure fans and clubs would prefer that over no season at all.

It's easy to get bogged down by everything, especially as time ticks on. But I remember thinking after Kelman's interview a few months ago how determined he seemed that the league wanted there to be a season - whether it be a full one starting in December or a shortened one starting in the spring.

Whether clubs can get themselves sorted and sign/find players willing to wait is another issue entirely.

Wannabe2

I honestly believe it has to be a full season, with normal crowds or you can forget season 20/21. The clubs can’t afford a mini season, players won’t be around waiting for 4 months wages. For me it’s all or nothing and at the moment it’s looking less and less likely, and don’t forget if the place aint 100% safe lots of people won’t want to go anyway. We are most certainly in the hands of the Gods.

tim78

I think we're better off starting the season in a different manner. Start now with five imports behind closed doors, we get our hockey fix via webcast and the team can start to settle things down, then after x set games 2x2. We start the 2nd have of the season with 10 imports and potentially reduced capacity. No season for me would be worse than a slightly less prosperous one (obviously the clubs need to agree the numbers) . And it'll give business and fans confidence with flexibility, but simply put some form of hockey is better than no hockey and business waiting on the unknown.

Wannabe2

Sorry Tim that won’t work in a month of sundays, no club in this league would agree with that it’s just not workable for anyone. We all want Hockey we really do, but it has to be feasible to the clubs and that’s not the answer unfortunately.

Devils86

You see how in hockey clubs announce their signings in line with the departing club. So e.g. if Graz were to announce Fournier then the Devils would first be afforded the opportunity to say goodbye and post a farewell thing...

Maybe this is a new signing (netminder) and his old club have an issue eg. a replacement lined up which is delayed and has had an impact on the chain (like buying a house)...

Or I could be wrong and full of rubbish - but we are all working with nothing but conjecture at the moment.

In any event there is nothing we can do about it apart from assure the Devils that we'll be there when we are allowed.

So just sit back and wait for the news...

Ps. If it's Parisi and he's done Kelman again I might just die

BostonBart22

You see how in hockey clubs announce their signings in line with the departing club. So e.g. if Graz were to announce Fournier then the Devils would first be afforded the opportunity to say goodbye and post a farewell thing...

Maybe this is a new signing (netminder) and his old club have an issue eg. a replacement lined up which is delayed and has had an impact on the chain (like buying a house)...

Or I could be wrong and full of rubbish - but we are all working with nothing but conjecture at the moment.

In any event there is nothing we can do about it apart from assure the Devils that we'll be there when we are allowed.

So just sit back and wait for the news...

Ps. If it's Parisi and he's done Kelman again I might just die

tim78

Sorry Tim that won’t work in a month of sundays, no club in this league would agree with that it’s just not workable for anyone. We all want Hockey we really do, but it has to be feasible to the clubs and that’s not the answer unfortunately.
Unfortunetly I differ, all business are currently restricting activities in order to survive. The above could split the league season in to 2 or remain a lower quality season but still allow a business to operate.

I think closing your business for an entire season, whilst you still incur operating costs is a greater risk. But at the end of the day it'll be down to whats more fincially feasable.