New Devils coach found!

Wannabe2

They weren’t rejects, they weren’t sacked. They went to better themselves, also Finnerty didn’t come to us from Sheffield, he came from Bloomington, get your facts right buddy. Stay safe.

Last edited:

Ibbz9

Look at it whichever way you want. The players the Devils have signed from Sheffield (or other clubs) were not re-signed by them. As for bettering themselves, did both Adams and Finnerty go back to Sheffield? The point is, all players/coaches are going to take the job that best suits them at the time.
Even with your Rose-tinted glasses, you cannot argue with Thommo's CV. Nearly every year his team are in the running for all trophies. I think people do not like him more for his association with Simmsy, than for his day-to-day job.

KaneDevils

I get the cryptic Juice, but both guys so far, no cant see why a head coach of 18 yr olds from the Ontario Junior Hockey League would fit coaching & coming up against experienced guys in the EIHL and potentially CHL.
I‘d be looking at probably a contact from the CHL, someone who played or assisted in games we’d competed against in Cardiff. I still get a sinking feeling Matt Pope is the next Coach. Ex NHL I doubt they’ve not got a great history in the U.K. Bordy, that guy we signed who bolted out of Cardiff, the one who coached Nottingham (l think). I’m kinda over the hyped guys, they tend to just arrive and fizzle out........
Weller?

Wannabe2

Look at it whichever way you want. The players the Devils have signed from Sheffield (or other clubs) were not re-signed by them. As for bettering themselves, did both Adams and Finnerty go back to Sheffield? The point is, all players/coaches are going to take the job that best suits them at the time.
Even with your Rose-tinted glasses, you cannot argue with Thommo's CV. Nearly every year his team are in the running for all trophies. I think people do not like him more for his association with Simmsy, than for his day-to-day job.
Don’t agree our dislike for Thommo has jack all to do with Simmsy , our dislike of him is that he is a first class prat, as for Adams and Finnerty going back to Sheffield that’s because their contracts weren’t renewed, certainly not because it was their first choice, as I know it wasn’t.

Ibbz9

Don’t agree our dislike for Thommo has jack all to do with Simmsy , our dislike of him is that he is a first class prat, as for Adams and Finnerty going back to Sheffield that’s because their contracts weren’t renewed, certainly not because it was their first choice, as I know it wasn’t.
Ahhhh...so a personal opinion of him being a "first class prat" as opposed to an opinion on a professional level concerning trophies/accolades/playing style.

ASHIPP

Wouldn't be surprised in the least the the new coach, when announced, is someone we already know. The PR says this person is new to this country.... would that mean new to the UK in a coaching capacity?

The Ownership and the Club expound, promote and achieve success. But the culture at the Club is much more than that... stability and the ability of personnel to 'fit' in are two major considerations in recruitment here. In the case of the coaching appointment, reading the PR, emphasis also on an individual who can commit longterm.

Wildly guessing this is someone who could be a family man wanting stability, a man with experience of European and American leagues and competitions and, of course, will understand the values and ethos of the Cardiff Devils. Could be one or two names close to home who fulfill that description.........think about it.

And I don't mean Pope, Faryna, Thompson, Finnerty or G.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Ahhhh...so a personal opinion of him being a "first class prat" as opposed to an opinion on a professional level concerning trophies/accolades/playing style.
Think I said our dislike of him, as I know lots of people who would commit Harri Karri if that geezer was allowed to go into the Holy Grail that is the Devils Dressing Room. Anyway it ain’t going to happen as we have a bit more class in our ranks to drop that huge Boo Boo.

Ibbz9

Think I said our dislike of him, as I know lots of people who would commit Harri Karri if that geezer was allowed to go into the Holy Grail that is the Devils Dressing Room. Anyway it ain’t going to happen as we have a bit more class in our ranks to drop that huge Boo Boo.

It probably will not happen. But, if he was coach, based on all his previous, the Devils would be contending for everything.

Whoever the new guy is has a tough ask though. Fans expectations will be high after being so spoilt with silverware in the last few years!

moggy#9

Loved Heaves, he was what Cardiff was all about, his passion was off the scale, great captain and a even better Coach. To meet a nicer Human Being, it ain’t going to happen loved the man big time.
Obviously not Heavey himself, but the level of passion he had would be awesome.

voth26

I get the cryptic Juice, but both guys so far, no cant see why a head coach of 18 yr olds from the Ontario Junior Hockey League would fit coaching & coming up against experienced guys in the EIHL and potentially CHL.
I‘d be looking at probably a contact from the CHL, someone who played or assisted in games we’d competed against in Cardiff. I still get a sinking feeling Matt Pope is the next Coach. Ex NHL I doubt they’ve not got a great history in the U.K. Bordy, that guy we signed who bolted out of Cardiff, the one who coached Nottingham (l think). I’m kinda over the hyped guys, they tend to just arrive and fizzle out........
Pope is going to work in finance I belive