Season Over ?

BostonBart22

Thread starter #1
After yesterdays announcement of another lockdown in january has put paid to this season , firmly believe this lockdown will be extended to the end of March at least , just hope we can get the show on the road early September...

Wannabe2

Yes it’s all about next September now, and getting this show safely back on the road. Just watched a great interview with Lordo on Flo Hockey, and will be watching both his home games this weekend, it was great to see Nth Americans taking so much interest in Cardiff, Lordo should be paid by the Welsh Tourist Board. I am pretty lucky getting my hockey fix, the ECHL is a pretty good standard and it’s physical which is good, and being able to watch games at my leisure is a gods send.Anyway folks take good care, stay safe, and have a tidy weekend.

Earnie

From your personal opinion watching ECHL games Glynne, would you say they were better than our league,similar or below our standard.(Devils standard that is!)

Last edited:

Wannabe2

The ECHL is certainly not better than our league in my view that is, it looks possibly on par although watching games on TV don’t hold a candle to watching games live, so that could be a factor. We could certainly live with the top clubs, in fact maybe the EIHL takes the edge, it would be good to hear other people’s views on this good subject. It’s for me a good substitute at this moment in time for my fix, this and the footie is a big help. Stay safe lovely people.

kingmo19.1

The ECHL is certainly not better than our league in my view that is, it looks possibly on par although watching games on TV don’t hold a candle to watching games live, so that could be a factor. We could certainly live with the top clubs, in fact maybe the EIHL takes the edge, it would be good to hear other people’s views on this good subject. It’s for me a good substitute at this moment in time for my fix, this and the footie is a big help. Stay safe lovely people.
Thanks for the insight Glynne. It certainly sounds a more physical league from the games you’ve commented on so far - let’s hope that makes it’s way back into our league :)

Wannabe2

It’s filling a hole for me guys thankfully, I just want to watch hockey it has to be a good standard obviously as I don’t want to watch any old drizzle.

fridaysfingers

At the moment teams have only played a couple of games and maybe a couple more warmup games so players are probably still not game sharp but on the other hand with the AHL not playing yet and also around 10 ECHL teams not competing this season the overall standard of player I would imagine being generally higher.
I’ve really enjoyed the two Greenville games I’ve seen and it always makes a difference if you have a team to support.
Does anyone know if Reddick has just been a healthy scratch and is still with the team?

Wannabe2

This seems to be all up in the air, how much is a grant, how much is a loan which wouldn’t be a great help. I think all the clubs should be compensated for the games they lost just season, think ours was 4 league games and a few play offs. Then concentrate on the re- build for Sept onwards safety allowing, Stars and Fife don’t want to know the mini season, Clan may follow their lead having no local rivals, Giants I reckon won’t be too interested , and I can’t actually see us jumping up and down about these plans, that’s 50% of the league maybe not too bothered, we are only 2 weeks off January, and talking about lockdown, after lockdown. Stay Safe all.

moggy#9

I think what's possible interesting about the comparison between the two is the size of ice they play on. This is something I wondered about with regard to lordo's style of game - how much will be need to adapt his tactics. I think that having 3 devils plus lordo in Greenville will certainly raise our profile, particularly with the way they seem to have played so far.

kingmo19.1

Going back to the original theme of this thread, considering the announcements made earlier today by the Government, I think that’s probably confirmed a mini 2020-2021 season isn’t going to happen.

Wannabe2

It never was in reality, people were grasping at straws all along, and living in Cuckoo Land. The only reason money was offered was because they knew it would never be used. Anyway at this moment in time it’s about people staying alive, and anything else don’t mean Jack All. Stay safe everyone, be strong and take good care. Happy Safety Days.

Devil94

Welsh government has announced a spectator sports funding package, which gives £200k to ice hockey.

Most obviously goes to rugby with £13m
Football £1.5m
Cricket £1m
Hockey £200k
Rugby League £200k
Netball £100k

moggy#9

What's going to be interesting about this is how the allocations are structured. As the only Pro team, the devils would undoubtedly get a fair proportion, but I suspect much will also go on the upkeep of facilities. In that regard ice rinks have different requirements to football, rugby or cricket grounds. I'd also be interested to understand how this matches what each sport asked for, and what the justifications were. For some reason I'm always suspicious of the egg chasers.

Wannabe2

There should also be a grant for Hockey fans, a sort of pain and mental relief thing. Maybe a one of payment of £1,000 , and a replica shirt. What you think.