2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

Mazzoak

Not experienced enough, really, the Inferno “experts” are a tough crowd. We are talking about the EIHL, a home rink with a college league capacity and yes granted officials are well unique, that’s not big issues to overcome. Skalde is more than qualified to judge players for the EIHL. Come on guys give the professional from North America some credit, he after all is a coach & not a supporter.......

Kevlar68

It amazes me, we haven't seen any hockey since the beginning of 2020, all been moaning about getting the rink open so we can get back to watching our team, financially I'm amazed we still have an organisation due to no help and hardly any revenue coming in.
We start to see a team forming with an experienced coach being signed, our organisation have put up with allot of crap throughout this Covid but they still assure us they are in it for the long haul, we start to get a team together with a quick succession of signings old and new, a good mix of experience and youth BUT it's still not good enough for some, would you prefer we go to the wall over stretching our budget?
There's been no constant revenue for 16 months! Marquee signings will be few and far between in the EIHL but WE HAVE OUR TEAM BACK!
What does this organisation have to do to please the ridiculous minority?

Last edited:

Mazzoak

l guess some aren’t happy unless it’s cheque book hockey & a cabinet full of trophies. The reality is the bank is overdrawn, the overtime has been cut and the bills are just being paid. Get used to entertaining, dramatic and dynamic hockey that may bring success or may not, we should all be grateful for the chance to see.

mjh

Simple for me. A season with all ten teams running sustainably and I'm a happy man. I'm sure we'll do well but even if we have some downs, I'll be ecstatic if I can be at the rink cheering on the lads. Still a long way to go before we can rest easy. Let's start with getting the rink open with tomorrow's announcement. Over to you Welsh Gov!

jenks33

Thread starter #266
I’m just excited to hopefully watch some hockey in Cardiff again but are the fans that are worried about a lack of experience necessarily wrong? Steve King literally said last week that we’ve built a youthful side and “no question that there’s a risk attached”. So it’s not just some fans, even the ownership seem a bit anxious.
I do agree with the last point though, bottom line is we should all just be grateful to watch some live hockey again. Fingers crossed

Kevlar68

We've never seen the new players in action, they wouldn't sign them just for the sake of getting a team together and don't forget Martin and Haddad were mid 20's when they signed for us and look how they turned out, also we have more players with European hockey experience which could be a great asset when it comes to CHL.
I've never judged a player until i see them in action for my team so we should just get behind them and welcome them in to family instead of knocking them before they've laced up a boot.

jenks33

Thread starter #268
It’s definitely unfair if anybody is writing Sanford and Cox off already, I do get the apprehension tho. We’ve seen how well some University of Alberta boys have done at Guildford so I think Sanford and Cox will be fine in the EIHL. If they have a similar impact to Kruise Reddick at Guildford then I’ll take that!
The only thing I’d say about the Haddad and Martin point is Haddad had played 64 AHL games before coming here and Martin had scored 160 points in 188 ECHL games so they were far more experienced at pro level. We certainly didn’t know just how good they were going to be tho.

hip check

Let's get the show on the road, not the time to start making judgements on our players, unfair in my opinion to do so before a puck has been dropped.
I've missed this wonderful sport and I'm so looking forward to seeing these new guys I can make my own opinion then, I'm not doing it before they've even flown in that's not the Cardiff Devil's way.

august04 2.0

Hasn’t the reaction to the signings been largely positive? I haven’t seen much negativity on here since the signings were announced at the summit. I’ve said it before, winning is great but it isn’t everything for me - as long as I’m entertained, I’m happy. And I think next years' team will be entertaining.

Wannabe2

It amazes me, we haven't seen any hockey since the beginning of 2020, all been moaning about getting the rink open so we can get back to watching our team, financially I'm amazed we still have an organisation due to no help and hardly any revenue coming in.
We start to see a team forming with an experienced coach being signed, our organisation have put up with allot of crap throughout this Covid but they still assure us they are in it for the long haul, we start to get a team together with a quick succession of signings old and new, a good mix of experience and youth BUT it's still not good enough for some, would you prefer we go to the wall over stretching our budget?
There's been no constant revenue for 16 months! Marquee signings will be few and far between in the EIHL but WE HAVE OUR TEAM BACK!
What does this organisation have to do to please the ridiculous minority?
This organisation only has to do what it is doing, forget the 1 in a thousand, if you dont you have problem, for every 1 that has a mental diffiferency, there is 1000 that is big time happy with what’s happening. Please don’t focus on the moronic few, they will always be wandering in the abyss, focus on the folk that are you, me , them, and us.

osh

Wannabe2
This organisation only has to do what it is doing, forget the 1 in a thousand, if you dont you have problem, for every 1 that has a mental diffiferency, there is 1000 that is big time happy with what’s happening. Please don’t focus on the moronic few, they will always be wandering in the abyss, focus on the folk that are you, me , them, and us.

surely you aren’t suggesting that those - such as myself - who have simply stated that they are not too impressed with the signings this far are “morons with mental deficiencies who will always be wandering in the abyss”. Perhaps I have misread who your statement is aimed at, and if you don’t mind me saying your description is way over the top.

jenks33

Thread starter #274
For anyone interested, I've made a Google doc with our current roster so that you can cut and paste different players in different lines to see where the gaps in our roster are. If I've set it right, you should be able to download it and make changes to your version.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16BYoxe3WsUVm41Iv1XKzi4JHjasZQ78u6B0zpFwcjZQ/edit?usp=sharing
I wonder what the plan is regarding the lines. It’s obviously difficult to predict at the moment with three more forwards to sign. I take it we’re probably going with 11 forwards right?
In an ideal world I’d like Haddad on the first line with two new imports.
Cox, Lammon, Sanford on the second line. Or will Skalde want an older head on that line? All three players are only 25 so he might want an experienced player to play alongside Sanford and Cox. Surely those two will be on the same line.
And then Mcnally, Dixon, Davies on a line? I think that line would be horrible to play against

I personally think we will sign another 4 forwards, 1 d man, 1 netminder. Run with 15 imports, but just not dress both import goalies in the same match. That way it will allow us to play 12 forwards & 4 line hockey. Well thats what I'm hoping for anyway.

jenks33

Thread starter #277
I personally think we will sign another 4 forwards, 1 d man, 1 netminder. Run with 15 imports, but just not dress both import goalies in the same match. That way it will allow us to play 12 forwards & 4 line hockey. Well thats what I'm hoping for anyway.
Haven’t there been strong rumours though that there will be a limit of 19 players on a game night? Isn’t that likely to be 11 forwards 6 Dmen and 2 goalies?

Haven’t there been strong rumours though that there will be a limit of 19 players on a game night? Isn’t that likely to be 11 forwards 6 Dmen and 2 goalies?
I know there are rumours about the bench Size, have it been confirmed anywhere? I hope not, I know a centreman can rotate our 4th line but it will a step back in the eihl imo. It will stop alot of teams playing 4 line hockey.

jenks33

Thread starter #279
I know there are rumours about the bench Size, have it been confirmed anywhere? I hope not, I know a centreman can rotate our 4th line but it will a step back in the eihl imo. It will stop alot of teams playing 4 line hockey.
Yeah i agree, it will be a step back if some teams play three line hockey. It will also be very demanding for our boys if we only sign 11 forwards, with the CHL games on top of the league and CC games

Providing all of our players are healthy, a bench of 19 gives us 2 netties, 3 defensive lines, 3 full forward lines and a fourth line of two players. I've seen ECHL teams use this with a rolling centre/winger when needed (Swamp Rabbits this year, for instance).

Duggan and Waller could be our wingers for a fourth line with one of the centres slotting in where they can (Lammon or Davies?). Not ideal, but better than pure three-line hockey.