Flyers Vs Devils - League - 7th Nov 21

RedDevil17

2 goals in 9 periods playing like shit, worse team in many years at the moment, but the same team that was playing well 6 weeks ago. Time for changes now maybe 7/8 carrying too much dead wood we won’t of course as we are too nicey nicey. I would break the bloody bank to get Martin, Haddad, and Fournier back and dump the crap. Not being funny here but too many players are taking the piss and should be kicked into touch. Players if your not bothered then guess what, we ain’t either so sod off get on with your miserable life and we will move on, we ain’t for you, and you certainly ain’t for us. I knew we would lose tonight as most teams in this league want to win more than us, this team not only love the way they are treated, but take advantage of it. I will keep going as I have for 35 yrs but these arseholes are driving me to knocking it on the head, if they can’t be bothered then my £1,500 can’t be bothered either. Great memories guys but they are memories unfortunately.
Talk about a meltdown Jesus Christ :D:D Love the passion though, shame some players can’t show the same…

Wannabe2

Well here is my attempt at being an armchair coach. This team is faster and more skillful than a lot of teams in this league. We can dominate possession, win most puck battles and faceoffs and given space and a shooting lane can score some beautiful goals. BUT teams have worked out how to beat us. Just play box + 1 and most of our shots will come from the soft areas. (blue line or wide angles). With the standard of netminder in this league that is not going to work.

This forces us to push harder and deeper leaving big holes at the back and many teams score on the break. Unlike the opposition we don't have 4 players blocking the shooting lanes so despite having 2 outstanding netminders we are losing.

At the back we have some skilled defencemen who usually come out best in most corner puck battles BUT some of our D men make some very bad decisions. Throwing the puck into mid ice or up the ice without even looking. A classic example is with 40 seconds to go and no netminder one of our D men (could not see who) dumped it from the blue line without looking. It hit the skate of a Fife player right in front of him handing over possession leading to another empty net goal.

The other problem is a complete lack of physicality. It was 53 minutes into the game before I saw the first decent check and then a few decent ones in the last 2 minutes. Too little to late. When you cant' get space for a quality shot you make it by being physical.

We rarely have someone in front of goal and when we do he is not a poacher.

The fife commentators said that this is not the powerful unit we have seen in the past from Cardiff. They just seem to play a pressure game and he was right. Pressure without the right tactics just tires the team and thats how a team of 12 beat us last night also.

I don't want to see players change. I want to see the tactics change. Either the coach is not getting the tactics right or the players are not doing what the coach tells them. Whatever it is, it has to change if we want silverware.
Bloody forget silverware if you are still on this planet, we unfortunately have slipped to horrendous hockey. 2 goals in 9 periods will win you one thing Jack shit, and that’s what we are at the moment Jack shit. Try arguing with that.

OJLloyd

I have quite often thought the response on here was a bit melodramatic, particularly in the seasons where we won the league but played badly here and there.

But this is not here and there. There is a consistency about these poor performances that is extremely concerning.

3-2 away to the Blaze. (CC)
5-4 against Sheffield when we had a two goal lead late in the game. (L)
5-2 away to the Panthers (L)
3-2 away to the Blaze. (CC)
0-3 home to the Panthers. (L)
2-1 away to the Blaze. (CC)
3-1 away to Fife. (L)

Total games played - 14
Total wins - 7

Since 2015 we have lost an average of 12.2 games per season in the league. I admit that these are exceptional seasons where we were often far and away the best team.

On an admittedly small sample of only 7 league games (~14% of the season), we are on course to lose approx. 30 games in the league this season, if you extend our current form throughout the season. That's not qualifying for the play-offs sort of form.

Now I am not suggesting this is what will happen, but it does say something needs to change. Whether it is the application of the current squad or additions I am not sure. That's not my decision.

But the stats clearly show a position which is not favourable to previous seasons.

Tonight we had 57 (!) shots on goal, and we scored 1 power play goal. That is simply not good enough.

august04 2.0

Bloody forget silverware if you are still on this planet, we unfortunately have slipped to horrendous hockey. 2 goals in 9 periods will win you one thing Jack shit, and that’s what we are at the moment Jack shit. Try arguing with that.
I enjoy debating with Wannabe and we’ve had our disagreements over the years but nobody cares more about the Devils. And you know things are bad when he posts stuff like this, which is very rare. And I agree with everything he has said.

ASHIPP

Morale is low and, for all we know, there might be other reasons in addition to poor performance that are contributing to that.

Good leadership in Richardson and Dixon is not fixing the on ice issues. Either there are players who cannot execute tactics, or don't understand their role, or are unhappy here for whatever reason.

It's a bit of a Frankenstein's monster at the moment.... lots of parts (and too many of the same sort of part) sewn together but none of them working with co-herence.

There are skilled, experienced players on the team but now it's obvious that goal scoring is a weakness, defensive positioning is an issue and a lack of creativity/hockey I. Q that could haul the team into a positive position in tight games by doing something timely and special. Martin, Haddad, Fournier (and Hotham before him) had all those qualities.

I watch 3 of our former players on other teams in the league this season.. all playing well and thinking how much their skills would make a difference if they were still Devils.

Last edited:

mjh

What I can't understand is the difference between the way we're playing now and how we took to some earlier games, especially against CHL teams. Looks as if motivation is completely lacking and shot selection is predictable. The goal scorers we do have will be drained of any confidence the longer this goes on. Not looking forward to next weekend.

Mazzoak

I tell you one thing that’s made me laugh. Watching Wannabe turn from Cardiff Devils’ biggest cheerleader to wanting 7 or 8 of them sacked hahaha.
In all seriousness that just shows you that changes are needed. Even Wannabe has had enough! I feel your pain Wannabe
He did the same on here in 2018-19, Steve even commentated.....

Wannabe2

I tell you one thing that’s made me laugh. Watching Wannabe turn from Cardiff Devils’ biggest cheerleader to wanting 7 or 8 of them sacked hahaha.
In all seriousness that just shows you that changes are needed. Even Wannabe has had enough! I feel your pain Wannabe
Hope you do, and hope many others do too, because we care this ain’t a rant for a rants sake,this is a rank because we are CRAP, for gods sake 2goals in 9 periods of hockey, and 3 shit games in a row. I hate talking like this about the club that I love but we are total garbage and that’s being polite. I need to sod off now as I am about to say things that I won’t regret, but are so truthful about this Mickey Mouse team.

tim78

This weekends problem isn't a case of playing badly, its just the shots haven't been as clinical as the other team.

The guys have had good shots high and low on net but to no fruition.

For me the teams hasn't got any strong puck possession players espeially for around that boards that we used to see Martin, Haddad, Riley, Asselin or Linglet (even say Myers). I'm sure most of this season we've left the boards on the attacking end without the puck.

august04 2.0

This weekends problem isn't a case of playing badly, its just the shots haven't been as clinical as the other team.

The guys have had good shots high and low on net but to no fruition.

For me the teams hasn't got any strong puck possession players espeially for around that boards that we used to see Martin, Haddad, Riley, Asselin or Linglet (even say Myers). I'm sure most of this season we've left the boards on the attacking end without the puck.
No, we’ve played badly! One area where this league is stronger this year, is the goaltending. You can have as many shots as you like, you’re not going to beat these guys unless you’re in the right positions. And we haven’t been. I can’t comment on tonight’s game but it reads the same as last night, too many shots were straight in the bread basket, with no man in front or pressure around the net. Goalies like Motte can suck those up all day long. If that's not working, do something different - but we have no plan B. Not much of a plan A either to be honest.

BostonBart22

question.... has there been problems with Dupont in the locker room, is he really injured ? reason being he is a player coach so why isnt he on the bench when not playing. mmmm very strange..