steelers Vs Devils - League - 14th Nov 21

moggy#9

Very surprised that we only had 16 shots on goal. It’s not a criticism as we were always going to play a simple game with such a commanding lead. It felt like we tested the goalies a lot more than that though
Yeah, I find that surprising, even if you take into account missing the net or shots getting blocked.

I’ve been reading the game thread on Steeltalk forum.
Some interesting and recognisable quotes on there.
From the last post (fitting) so far:

“From that point we were chasing the game without the tools to try anything different, our forwards as like the previous season under Fox are all a bit similar and we can't go to for example a big line. It's all too cute for me in these situations but I cannot see it changing. We need a player or 2 similar to Broll in size to just be able to have a physical presence.”

“No one ever seems to get recruitment right from day one, do we need some changes, probably ?”

These are things we’ve all been reading/posting on here especially while McNally was out.
Interesting that(unlike us) Steelers have scored sackfuls of goals this year but when it goes wrong change is needed.

jenks33

I’ve been reading the game thread on Steeltalk forum.
Some interesting and recognisable quotes on there.
From the last post (fitting) so far:

“From that point we were chasing the game without the tools to try anything different, our forwards as like the previous season under Fox are all a bit similar and we can't go to for example a big line. It's all too cute for me in these situations but I cannot see it changing. We need a player or 2 similar to Broll in size to just be able to have a physical presence.”

“No one ever seems to get recruitment right from day one, do we need some changes, probably ?”

These are things we’ve all been reading/posting on here especially while McNally was out.
Interesting that(unlike us) Steelers have scored sackfuls of goals this year but when it goes wrong change is needed.
That’s why it frustrates me a bit when the Inferno is regarded as too negative compared to other forums. Whether you like it or not sports forums are going to be full of negativity. Sheffield fans calling for changes and before last night they’d scored 26 goals in their last 5 home games and conceded 2 in their last 4 games. Having said that netminding would concern me a bit if I was a Steelers fan. Personally I think the rest of their roster is pretty strong but I can think of at least 5 goalies in this league that are better than Sheffields two goalies. I would want my goalies to do better on three of those goals last night and 5 goals from 16 shots is not great.

moggy#9

That’s why it frustrates me a bit when the Inferno is regarded as too negative compared to other forums. Whether you like it or not sports forums are going to be full of negativity. Sheffield fans calling for changes and before last night they’d scored 26 goals in their last 5 home games and conceded 2 in their last 4 games. Having said that netminding would concern me a bit if I was a Steelers fan. Personally I think the rest of their roster is pretty strong but I can think of at least 5 goalies in this league that are better than Sheffields two goalies. I would want my goalies to do better on three of those goals last night and 5 goals from 16 shots is not great.
Probably more than that given that both of ours are imho better than either of Sheffield's.

kettdevil1

Get in there big Lou. I posted it on twitter but no way should he have got an instigator for that. The head shot is the instigator. Bone head refereeing swindled Devils out of an additional 2 mins of power play.
Whilst I am delighted Louis stepped in, for me this is an obvious instigator penalty. The wording is:

An instigator of an altercation shall be a player who by his actions or demeanour demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance travelled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious retribution for a previous incident in the game or season.

The final clause seems to describe exactly what Big Lou did.

jimmy snels

Thank you for posting.

Absolutely disgusting hit. He deserves a massive ban. And the way he pathetically turtles like a coward to answer for it, typical.
I wouldn't have objected at all to mcnally doing the same to connolly either. Cant let people play like this against us. Absolute rats.

Louis is going to be busy. By my count he's got x2 owed for coventry and now one for Sheffield. Waller and now duggan injured

moggy#9

It's interesting, isn't it, that fighting and enforcers aren't supposed to be part of the game anymore, but judging by the crap going on this season, they seem to be essential.

The number of players missing from teams this season either due to cheap shots, or suspension due to them should be a concern to everyone. This is particularly true given the shorter benches this year.

That said, I kind of expect it from clubs like Sheffield and Coventry.

Rempel16

Also, no way is that an instigator for Louis. He skates over with purpose. Ellerby must be the only person in the building not seeing that a fight is about to ensue.

Absolute pussy too.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #134
I said the same last night. How can you give instigator with a headshot like that. Instigator should be without provocation. It's not retaliation for a previous incident, at that point its a current incident.

kettdevil1

I said the same last night. How can you give instigator with a headshot like that. Instigator should be without provocation. It's not retaliation for a previous incident, at that point its a current incident.
If you take the rulebook to the nth degree then any fight should have an instigator as someone must take their gloves off first or throw the first punch so I presume there is a degree of discretion to the officials. I was expecting an additional penalty for Louis as that has been the case in most (but definitely all) fights of a similar type that occur before Christmas.

For strange reason instigator penalties are rarely seen after Christmas

Thank you for posting.

Absolutely disgusting hit. He deserves a massive ban. And the way he pathetically turtles like a coward to answer for it, typical.
I wouldn't have objected at all to mcnally doing the same to connolly either. Cant let people play like this against us. Absolute rats.

Louis is going to be busy. By my count he's got x2 owed for coventry and now one for Sheffield. Waller and now duggan injured
A 6’5” turtle at that!!!!

Unfortunately it’s an instigator penalty all day long with the rule as it is. The fact that the rule is garbage is the problem.
I also thought Connolly speared McNally probably hitting his skates but aiming for an ankle knowing his style.
Can’t remember if a ref saw it but I’m sure it was in front of a Lino

Swarley

Is that classed as spearing by connoly, right in front of the ref as well..
No if connolly does it its perfectly legal, I'm not entirely sure why he is allowed to carry on getting away with this sort of thing right in front of officials but I do feel like the officials have some sort of blind spot for the little rat, even if it's directly in front of them.

It needs addressing either by making the official pay a fine or allowing connolly to take the long awaited beating he's got coming to him.