Devils Vs Stars - League - 12th Dec 21

Mazzoak

The problem is that Todd and Franny tied up a lot of reputational capital in skalde. They basically bragged about how thorough their recruitment process was. They said they had coaches with massive reputations apply, but this was their man. Skalde's failure is their failure.
They also stated this team and coach was high risk and that they had no choice. I’ve written many many times that what comes out in interviews is rarely facts, I’ve been roasted many many times for that opinion. Yet in every aspect of public life, from sports to politics, it’s all a mix of fact, lies and bulls8t.
They may have had coaches with massive reputations, who would’ve come with equally massive demands on wages etc etc. How thorough is thorough, that’s just meaningless words. Todd recent statement says it all, fans are replaceable and fickle, they stop coming in bad times & return when we win, it’s as basic as that and no businessman will be dictated to by its customers, never, ever. They’ll make it seem like the customer is, again, they never will. A business exists for the benefit of its owners, share holders, investors etc. Simple as that.

Kevin roog

I agree with you that there are players who aren't performing 100 percent - and there are more than any of us would like. I'm just trying to be slightly positive with the fact that we have retained good players as well as adding a handful of players which I believe to be good and would have back next year.
I agree with some of this, unfortunately at the moment there’s more players who I wouldn’t have back than would

Wannabe2

New members who talk this tripe. You talk an absolute boat load of tripe. How about read what I responded to. A point was made about recruitment of players being poor. Those four players aren't poor or do you disagree?
Does that mean that due to YOU only mentioning 4 that aren’t poor, that you agree the others are. As for my views I think 2 are very good players, and 2 are okay of which 1 has gone downhill in my view, and don’t look like he wants to be here, and the other one has never been a favourite, that’s my take.

august04 2.0

To try and give some perspective...we are 3rd in a close and competitive league, and I have a feeling that come the end of the season a lot of people on this forum may feel a bit silly after some of the stuff that is being said on here at the moment.

As for the matches that we're having to watch, I think we need to accept that the time of blowing away everyone except Giants/Steelers/Panthers is over, the league is just more competitive than it has been, and we have been spoilt in recent years as Devils fans.
Do you know something, I don't care if we don’t blow away everyone and win every game. It doesn’t bother me if we don’t win any trophies either. Just let me watch a Devils team who play in the right way, who are proud to wear the jersey, have each others backs, play with passion, energy and guts - win or lose. That used to be a given pretty much, even in the shit years. Is it too much to ask? It seems it is under this guy.

Not sure I know what Skalde’s Plan B looks like - I don’t think I’m the only one. In defence, we are way too casual and pile pressure on ourselves by making sloppy passes that get intercepted - we should simply be not making those sorts of errors. In offence, We have players that are trying the highlight reel passes that come off once in a hundred attempts in the Elite League. Gretzky was right “you miss 100% of the shots you never take”. The Stars GWG came from a deflection from one of two players the Stars put in front of Carruth - we outshot the Stars tonight, but with low percentage shots. Good things happen when you go to the dirty areas. We don’t have a replacement for Matthew Myers’s who could screen goalies - everyone stays to the outside, with minimal movement - too predictable and we don’t appear to have a mechanism to change part way through a game. There were also too many instances when we were simply muscled off the puck. A fair bit of work needed by Wednesday if we are to turn that 2 goal deficit around.

jenks33

To try and give some perspective...we are 3rd in a close and competitive league, and I have a feeling that come the end of the season a lot of people on this forum may feel a bit silly after some of the stuff that is being said on here at the moment.

As for the matches that we're having to watch, I think we need to accept that the time of blowing away everyone except Giants/Steelers/Panthers is over, the league is just more competitive than it has been, and we have been spoilt in recent years as Devils fans.
When you say “come the end of the season a lot of people may feel silly after some of the stuff that is being said” I’m Interested to know what you think will change? Genuine question. Do you think we are still in with a chance of winning the league? Do you think Dupont and one or two others will come good? Just interested to know. In my opinion we are battling for third spot at best. Do I still think we can win a cup? Yeah probably as you only need to win 3 out of 4 games to win the play offs. That doesn’t make it a good season tho.

And I don’t think anybody has an issue with us not blowing teams away. I don’t even think most fans care about us losing games as long as it’s entertaining . It’s the style of hockey, it’s tedious.

I can’t believe mr king hasn’t commented on the teams performance, the team and coach are not worthy of wearing the devils jersey they should grow a set of balls and get rid of some of the players or even the coach, if this was football the coach would be long gone unless u to you are man utd lol

Quote: As for the matches that we're having to watch, I think we need to accept that the time of blowing away everyone except Giants/Steelers/Panthers is over, the league is just more competitive than it has been, and we have been spoilt in recent years as Devils fans.[/QUOTE]

But it isn’t over is it.
Not if you’re the Giants or the Steelers!
And it‘s only more competitive in the sense that the overall standard has declined!

Does that mean that due to YOU only mentioning 4 that aren’t poor, that you agree the others are. As for my views I think 2 are very good players, and 2 are okay of which 1 has gone downhill in my view, and don’t look like he wants to be here, and the other one has never been a favourite, that’s my take.
No - I agree that there are a fair few players which aren't hitting the mark. I am just as frustrated at the moment, tonight was the most bored I have been and we lost at home to Dundee. No passion from the players at all, no emotion. I also agree with what you have said re losing as long as we compete/show emotion.

That said, I can't read comments from people saying that recruitments been dreadful when we actually have some great players who I would love to have back next year. If you disagree with that, that's fine and we can discuss (this is a forum after all) instead of making remarks about me being a new member. I have followed the Devils for many years. I have become a member recently to actually try and have discussions with some of the people on this forum who are negative a lot of time (no this isn't a comment aimed at you)

RedDevil17

I’m not buying this crap about there being a lack of players in the market. There clearly is if you look in the right places (elite prospects!). Any tom dick or harry would be better than the current lot we have so long as there’s fight in them. A passionate coach would do nicely too.

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

No, they don't.. I don't recall saying that they did. My point is that you can't say recruitment has been dreadful when we have good players (4 of which within the top 14 in points)
If we want to win silverware this year we need 19 good players, only having a handful of good players is simply not good enough for a winning team. Most teams in the EIHL can boast at least a handful of good players. A winning team will have a full roster of good players.

moggy#9

I just saw the skalde interview. It sounds like that the financial impact of losing on Wednesday is what's worrying them and nothing else. The comment about a big game for the players suggests that there will be a scapegoat saving or two if the result goes the way I expect.

Swarley

I just saw the skalde interview. It sounds like that the financial impact of losing on Wednesday is what's worrying them and nothing else. The comment about a big game for the players suggests that there will be a scapegoat saving or two if the result goes the way I expect.
His interview royally pissed me off, blaming the team for lacking emotion and passion when he's stood like a tree stump and gives interviews like an automated robot.

I'd prefer it if he'd just shake hands and part ways with the club if he's going to blame the team for something he's clearly created.

Hedd Wyn John

The really, really dismaying thing for me was this season was in all probability a rebuilding exercise so we could mount a real challenge for the league next season.
The reality is though that this opportunity to rebuild has been wasted and we will have to rebuild again next season!
Sad but true. We're gonna have to rebuild from the rebuild season.