Devils Vs steelers - League - 26th March 22

Hedd Wyn John

That was a very poor performance and I don’t buy into this idea posted on here tonight that we should cruise the next few games and be fit for the play offs. Hockey tends not to work like that, it’s very difficult to just flick a switch and turn it back on. Fatigue and bad habits are creeping back into this team, not surprisingly either given the lack of bodies at the back. This season is petering out into mediocrity and I’m very disappointed that we're still playing with 4 D after so long, with no sign of either McNulty or Mikkelson being fit again. McNulty in particular has been a long term jury (injured way before the transfer deadline) and we should have brought in injury cover for him. Not doing that cost us the Challenge Cup and will cost us a play off finals spot if one of those two doesn’t get back into the line up soon. I really don’t fancy our chances against Dundee, Clan or whoever else it may be, when playing with only 4 D. Roll on next season, and I hope we never see the Devils organisation give up on a season, like we seem to have done this year. At the most crucial time, Steelers and Giants covered for injuries and are now getting players back. We didn’t and it has cost us any chance of silverware this year.
Hard not to agree with all this ☝️

Pembo

I’m really keen to see a replay of the 3rd goal, looked a bit sus and Mac was clearly not happy. Was a bit of a gut punch & from where I was sitting I wondered why our bench didn’t ask for a review. Was a tricky night because we’re obviously banged up, Crandall having to drop into defensive role at time disrupted our lines. We’re shortbenched 3rd and big enough gap from 2nd and 4th that priority has to be getting guys fit and not stretching things further with more injuries and silly suspensions with playoffs looming. Sheffield on other hand are fighting for their lives to catch Belfast & keep the title hopes alive, they are not short benched and have quality throughout the team. We’ve crushed them a couple of times in Sheffield this season when it mattered so they had a score to settle too. Really good news about D men returning from injury soon.

I really like a lot of elements of this team, I think some of the comments about the quality of the team this year are unfair as especially since December the games have been a lot more entertaining. McNulty, Brandt and Coughler have all been brought in as injury cover and each has contributed in a major way. I love the Sanford, Cox and Coughler line, Dixon, Reid & Crandall carried us through first part of season. We’ve got real passion in 3rd line, Waller is a fantastic skater. Our D has been often playing in adverse circumstances and in general have been excellent. Mac & Taran are really good quality keepers. It’s I team in rebuild and I think there are really positive signs for next season if we retain majority and add some additional bodies.

moggy#9

I get that you're (justifiably) upset after that, but I think that you may regret some of your postings when you calm down. I'm really not sure what you expect in terms of signings (the Hanson brothers, Doug glatt an racki perhaps). But when you exclude our top scorer and two of the best British forwards in the league from your list, I wonder about how objective you are being.

The time for debating returnees is after the play offs when we can have a bit of perspective about the whole season.

ASHIPP

Because we got a bunch of fairy’s this season how won’t do anything about sticking up for the team ! This summer needs a massive reshuffle only a few in this team I would keep if they want to start winning again
Missing 4 players (2 key defencenen), do we really expect the team to be playing aggressive, physical hockey? With the risk of further injury and fatigue, there is no facility to bring in extra cover now. There are probably players with niggling injuries that the fans don't know about.

They are not fairies. Exhausted, yes. And who can blame them? With the slating they are getting in here by posters who can't accept the current bigger picture, why would any of our players even want to come back?

They are professionals. They are not deliberately going to go out and play in a casual, disinterested manner to lose the game. The Devils simply don't have the bodies to get the result they need in the big games at the moment.

Jonesy83

Was a terrible game to watch, No idea why Mac wasn’t pulled after that 3rd goal, clearly wasn’t his night last night.

Im honestly not going to be surprised if we don’t make POFW

Wannabe2

Very poor day at the office last night, I don’t think we lacked anything in effort myself, we were just lousy on the night and against a team like Steelers have a off night and they will destroy you. Again we get built up for a game only to come crashing down to earth with a bump, Giants had a lousy home night against the Panthers recently, Steelers had a lousy night against us at theirs losing 5-0, and last night we had ours. 3rd in the league is about right for us this season, we made a few poor signings and had a few nasty injuries in a season that you can’t afford any. We done well and played well in a cup final, the league was definately a bridge too far, and we were far too inconsistent to challenge the top two. Unfortunately I do have my doubts about the play offs, and would love to be proven wrong, last night we were lacking in the physical play, but it can’t be easy when you are either banged up or knackered. I hate the off season but in one way it can’t come quick enough, and that’s when we can comment on this seasons players, so a massive cloud over the IAW last night, but the sun’s out today. Mediocre Hockey Days.

Mazzoak

Well another loss and what 5 pages on the Inferno of complaints, maybe I should state some more realist views of our current squad, tends to shift people from complaining to defending their team. But l don’t want to make it about myself, so just understand that my opinion hasn't changed of this years team.
We can still pull off a successful playoff weekend, so let’s not get too bothered......

I would rather sleep on the result, then reflect.

We were always going to be up against it last night, Squealers are going for the title, spurred on by the Giants loss on Friday, we are playing with 4 D and 3 out (2 + 1 extra import + 1 Brit). also others playing with injuries and a returnee after 10 weeks out.
Was I hoping we would win? yes, think we would win no.

Crandall helped out on D in the 3rd, which left us short up front, so our 4 D were mainly playing 30 mins each and staying at home not adding to the rush much.

"Lack of effort", come on, we really don't know the extent of the players playing with injuries, not sure if any professional sportsman goes out with a "lack of effort" frame of mind, that will lead to injury if not alert etc..
I have never played the game, and I would imagine some of the comments regarding lack of effort are made by "non-having-ever-played" contributors?

We out shot them and won the face off % so all not "lack of effort" in those battles

Not sure why the 3rd was allowed, squealer clearly standing in the crease, but on the other hand not sure why their goal was wiped off and Jake ends up in the box? having said that overall the officiating was good, even though Hogarth thinks he's a god out there with his body language.

Breathe guys, far more serious things going on.

MA18

Tough one to watch last night. End of the season can’t come quickly enough.
4D is a huge issue and obviously changes our whole game. We definitely missed a trick by not bringing fit bodies in, we havent seen Harewood in months - I know it does solve the issue but even if he skates a few shifts. As well as the guys sitting out we must have a few carrying knocks (Dixon top of the list I think).

For me Skalde looked out on his feet and out of ideas. Either had his hands in his pockets or witting notes adding to his ever growing list of things that weren’t going right, can’t wait till the breaks get the message to the boys and show some passion. Only so much your players and captain can do out there. Didn’t use the power breaks or timeouts to get the lads in to fire them up.

kristian

To me lastnight was us trying to contain them. And not picking any more injuries or suspensions. Think we have a few injuries then we know about Todd did say in program that they hope to have the 2 D back next week. Nothing on Duggan through.

MA18

To me lastnight was us trying to contain them. And not picking any more injuries or suspensions. Think we have a few injuries then we know about Todd did say in program that they hope to have the 2 D back next week. Nothing on Duggan through.
Poor tactic in your own sold out barn against your biggest rivals. Go out and cause some $hit even if you don’t get the result.

august04 2.0

We can still pull off a successful playoff weekend, so let’s not get too bothered......
Only if we get one or both of Mikkelson and McNulty back. Without that happening, we haven’t got a hope in hell. It will be hard to even get there never mind beat two of the big boys in 2 days with 4D.

august04 2.0

I’ve learnt not to take too much notice of Devils injury reports! Let’s hope they are but we'll see.

Diablo3

As much as I was "disappointed" so to speak last night, The guys did put the effort in, but a lot of the time they just didn't have the bodies available going forward. Steelers are a fast team so we got punished on the break. I think we just write off these next few league games and use them as training sessions to get all our guys fit for the playoffs

august04 2.0

As much as I was "disappointed" so to speak last night, The guys did put the effort in, but a lot of the time they just didn't have the bodies available going forward. Steelers are a fast team so we got punished on the break. I think we just write off these next few league games and use them as training sessions to get all our guys fit for the playoffs
If we do that, we will pick up more injuries I guarantee it. If you’re playing against teams who are fighting for something and you’re holding back, players are going to get hurt.