New coach: who should it be?

SteveKing

As you all know, I’m a big fan of being in the CHL. With that being said, Covid created a strange situation that very much hurt our recruiting last year. Because the North American hockey seasons got pushed out to mid-July last year, we had several good players that declined just because they needed more time off and couldn’t come as early as we needed them to. We needed people starting in mi-August while other EIHL clubs were up to three or four weeks later. There were many strange things last year but this was one we hadn’t seen before. That won’t be as big a factor for Belfast this year since things shoukd be wrapped up a little earlier this year.

Diablo3

As you all know, I’m a big fan of being in the CHL. With that being said, Covid created a strange situation that very much hurt our recruiting last year. Because the North American hockey seasons got pushed out to mid-July last year, we had several good players that declined just because they needed more time off and couldn’t come as early as we needed them to. We needed people starting in mi-August while other EIHL clubs were up to three or four weeks later. There were many strange things last year but this was one we hadn’t seen before. That won’t be as big a factor for Belfast this year since things shoukd be wrapped up a little earlier this year.
I'm a fan too, but next year will be good for the new coach to have some extra time with the players before the season starts. The one thing we need to get rid of next season is the 19 player limit. It has made a bit of a mockery this year with covid decimating the rosters. Let's get back to proper 4 line hockey.

Slartibartfast

I know a lot of people are unhappy with the 19 player limit and it has made it a difficult season but lets not forget that this time last year we weren't even sure we were going to have a season. The league kept going despite ever changing covid rules, players getting sick, and matches being cancelled/rescheduled. I think we should give the league some credit for delivering a season in the most difficult circumstances in hockey history (except maybe 2 world wars and spanish flu).
And all clubs seem to have survived financially. We have seen many a normal season with a team having to drop out due to going bust.
So I say well done EIHL. (ducks for cover)

Pembo

I know a lot of people are unhappy with the 19 player limit and it has made it a difficult season but lets not forget that this time last year we weren't even sure we were going to have a season. The league kept going despite ever changing covid rules, players getting sick, and matches being cancelled/rescheduled. I think we should give the league some credit for delivering a season in the most difficult circumstances in hockey history (except maybe 2 world wars and spanish flu).
And all clubs seem to have survived financially. We have seen many a normal season with a team having to drop out due to going bust.
Haha, from the sounds of it Scottish clubs especially were at risk. The unequal financial support available indifferent locations put different levels of distress onto club finances and although we’ve grumbled about the 19 player limit, as you say it’s hopefully kept everyone solvent and ensured continuity of the league on a shoestring. It’s like Premier sports, they’re not a slick as Sky or BT & people are often criticising them on twitter but they seem genuinely committed to UK hockey. (Also ducks for cover!)

moggy#9

Haha, from the sounds of it Scottish clubs especially were at risk. The unequal financial support available indifferent locations put different levels of distress onto club finances and although we’ve grumbled about the 19 player limit, as you say it’s hopefully kept everyone solvent and ensured continuity of the league on a shoestring. It’s like Premier sports, they’re not a slick as Sky or BT & people are often criticising them on twitter but they seem genuinely committed to UK hockey. (Also ducks for cover!)
It's not just comparing premiere to sky sports or bt. There are some club webcasts with better production values than premier. They could learn an awful lot from the Steelers webcast.

moggy#9

I've made no secret of my dislike off the 19 player rule, but that's not been the only issue, has it? The underlying problem has been a complete lack of planning, foresight, or indeed empathy with the fans. It was said that the fans would never be taken for granted again, and then look what happened with the play offs.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

I've made no secret of my dislike off the 19 player rule, but that's not been three only issue, has it? There underlying problem has been a complete lack of planning, foresight, it indeed empathy with the fans. It was said that the games would never be taken for granted again, and then look what happened with the play offs.
Last sentence seemed to disappear from some peoples memories when they could sniff a quick financial profit !!!!

hip check

Drakeford and the Welsh AM's didn't do us any favours when COVID was easing up either, the only ice rink in the British Isles to be closed while other teams could play on albeit some to empty arenas, young promising figure skaters having to travel to Coventry/Swindon to practice as well, can't wait for the upcoming elections.

osh

Sorry Steve, I’m not as polite as 99% of posters, so let’s face it, you guys got things wrong last season after so much success of previous recruiting. Your explanation is hollow in my opinion and is the main reason - not Covid - that has kept me away this season.

osh

Wannabe2. I,’m sure I haven‘t been missed, but turned turtle ? No, far from it, I’m just not as one dimensional as you it has to be said. Fine weather fan ? Far from it, I’ve been there visiting places like Durham, Whitley Bay, Hull etc etc over many years and great expense - but at some stage other things take priority. Dressing in Orange ? Cheap shot from you I have to say, would have expected better.

Diablo3

Sorry Steve, I’m not as polite as 99% of posters, so let’s face it, you guys got things wrong last season after so much success of previous recruiting. Your explanation is hollow in my opinion and is the main reason - not Covid - that has kept me away this season.
Not sure how you can think Steve's explanation is hollow. Each to his own I suppose, but not being able to get some players they wanted because of bad timings seems very plausible to me. Let's see how we get on with next seasons roster without those restrictions.

Mazzoak

When the story hit about the Skaldes issue back home regarding the NHL & sexual harassment claim it made me think that we got Skalde because of that & when resolved the Skaldes would return home vindicated. I’ve said it in the past that the club & Lord need each other, that both parties separated wouldn’t be as successful as when their together. I’d hoped having Skalde, him remaining would’ve been a major coup, l hoped to be wrong. Which is why l think Lord will return, otherwise, I’m not so sure anyone else can achieve much success in Cardiff without either being from another EIHL club or we blow serious money on player recruitment. I don’t believe finding a coach externally will be possible in a 3,000 seat club, average budget and an unknown league against bigger clubs, budgets and quality without that investment.

OJLloyd

Sheesh, anyone would think we finished 10th and had a team full of volunteers.

We’ve had some poor away form, some players not working out quite as we’d want and clearly some other issues which aren’t conducive to a good season.

The idea that Lord, and only Lord, could be successful with the Devils is a stupid one.

And unless you have a personal issue with a particular player (which I don’t quite understand), staying away based on recruitment (so you decided not to attend pre-season?) is simply having a tantrum. Personal attacks are a bit silly.

Mazzoak

Sheesh, anyone would think we finished 10th and had a team full of volunteers.

We’ve had some poor away form, some players not working out quite as we’d want and clearly some other issues which aren’t conducive to a good season.

The idea that Lord, and only Lord, could be successful with the Devils is a stupid one.

And unless you have a personal issue with a particular player (which I don’t quite understand), staying away based on recruitment (so you decided not to attend pre-season?) is simply having a tantrum. Personal attacks are a bit silly.
The first season hasn’t exactly been a successful one, in so much as we’ve finished well but those that were instrumental in achieving that are leaving. So hopefully I’m wrong, but so far, no l stand by my comments with nothing to sway my opinion. Time will tell.