5 coaches needed

moggy#9

I raise you Andrew Lord. Never coached a team before & became one of our most successful coaches. If the players want to play for him & like his style of play, then why not give him a go??
I take it that you haven't read all of my comments on this thread. What makes you think that the devils will get lucky with a novice coach twice?

Why not give him a go? The simple answer to that is that it's too much of a risk and we'd potentially end up well behind the league leaders.

moggy#9

I think let’s be honest the Cardiff Devils have never been a team with the most orthodox of paths to coaching and it’s worked out so many times before. I think some are forgetting our history. Off the shelf coaches ain’t this clubs bag at all.

Rookie Coaches:

Lawless - Player Coach turned coach. Raw when he arrived at Devils.

Heavey - Devils were his first coaching job

Ed Patterson - Devils were first coaching job.

Gerald Adam’s - Devils were first coaching job

Andrew Lord - Devils were first coaching job.

Established coach’s:

Brian Kanewisher. Came and went

Jon Griffith. Came and went.

Troy Walkington. Came and went

Dave Whistle. Came and went.

Having a coach who is committed and passionate is worth way more than any coaching experience. Now it’s TKs decision to make but I wouldn’t be so keen to throw the arguments around that Cardiff Devils need an established coach. That’s being forgetful of the Devils DNA. You look at Pacha’s opening interview as CEO and he’s talking about regaining the Panthers identity. Devils would do well to not forget theirs.
You go way back to year dot to make your points about rookie coaches, but then ignore the fact that Brian kanewischer not only got the devils promotion to the premier League, her also did the unthinkable in making the devils the only newly promoted team to win the double.

Rempel16

You go way back to year dot to make your points about rookie coaches, but then ignore the fact that Brian kanewischer not only got the devils promotion to the premier League, her also did the unthinkable in making the devils the only newly promoted team to win the double.
In fairness he couldn’t fail with the amount of money being thrown around compared to other teams. Cheque book hockey.

moggy#9

In fairness he couldn’t fail with the amount of money being thrown around compared to other teams. Cheque book hockey.
That's a fair comment given that whoever had the Cooper brothers son the league. That said, it also counters your argument about John Griffith. He managed second place with a team lacking the Coopers despite having had to rebuild.

Mazzoak

So we continue using the old ways because it worked, yeah l kinda get that although you’ve got to play what the rest are doing. Last yr most teams played pretty average and inconsistent, Sheffield & Belfast being our competitors, the rest we lost games due to Skalde and issues. A perfect time for a new coach to get to grips with U.K. hockey. Next year, 5 new coaches, will they all be new to the league, I’d say most yes, which brings new styles and methods, would the old ways compete or be out coached.
There are all very good arguments for both written here, it’s a very interesting set of circumstances that makes it more exciting going into next season, who will succeed and who wont. My thoughts are with the little we know getting rid of Skalde prior to a proper season, that is a mistake, yes we won the 3rd consecutive Playoff, l hope that wasn’t short sighted and next year is a risk. Obviously Todd may have a coach who will blow the league apart on the 2nd week of the season, we win the Continental Cup, the league, the Challenge and the playoffs and I’ll continue to be berated as an idiot, more than happy to be wrong.

Has Dupont offcially retired as a player? With an increased roster, how do people feel about him reverting to player/assistant coach (if fully fit)?

Pembo

Dupont -pros and cons
Cons
First coaching job
Lack of coaching experience
Poor performances in Devils shirt (for reasons unknown to inferno)
Not as exciting as bringing in some unknown maverick

Pros
Man seems to be a motivator and players seem genuinely connected with him and bought in.
Doesn’t seem arrogant
Seems intelligent & seems like more to his use/rotation of lines than just lean almost universally on single line to score which at times felt like a trend this season
Dude has legitimate NHL credentials and played in range of leagues at high level which is unusual in this league.
Won the only trophy he’s had a chance to win.
Is a known entity to the club, Skalde not lasting season after general hype about his arrival shows the danger of rolling the dice on a guy who may not be a good fit.
(Subjective). My most memorable chats to any of the players last season were to Duggs & Dupont. You can tell both are people people, with an easy manner and an infectious enthusiasm.

If he gets the gig next season I’m all in. If he doesn’t I’ll back whoever gets it. No individual is bigger than the club and we all want a happy and successful season to keep the banners at IAW coming.

Samael

Won't bother me if Dupont gets the gig or not, l get what some people are saying in that he's unproven and won the easiest of the 3 trophies on offer, (still baffles me why the playoffs are considered with higher regard than the challenge cup) but he does have eihl experience now which is worth more than years of coaching experience in other leagues.

I'm more concerned with what is signed to go on the ice than what is signed to stand on the bench though next season. I suspect it will be TK and Franny who have more of a say there than the incoming coach too.

Dupont -pros and cons
Cons
First coaching job
Lack of coaching experience
Poor performances in Devils shirt (for reasons unknown to inferno)
Not as exciting as bringing in some unknown maverick

Pros
Man seems to be a motivator and players seem genuinely connected with him and bought in.
Doesn’t seem arrogant
Seems intelligent & seems like more to his use/rotation of lines than just lean almost universally on single line to score which at times felt like a trend this season
Dude has legitimate NHL credentials and played in range of leagues at high level which is unusual in this league.
Won the only trophy he’s had a chance to win.
Is a known entity to the club, Skalde not lasting season after general hype about his arrival shows the danger of rolling the dice on a guy who may not be a good fit.
(Subjective). My most memorable chats to any of the players last season were to Duggs & Dupont. You can tell both are people people, with an easy manner and an infectious enthusiasm.

If he gets the gig next season I’m all in. If he doesn’t I’ll back whoever gets it. No individual is bigger than the club and we all want a happy and successful season to keep the banners at IAW coming.
in regards to his poor playing performances, didn't it get revealed he was playing with an injury until the devils could find a replacement which allowed him to step down from playing?

voth26

I take it that you haven't read all of my comments on this thread. What makes you think that the devils will get lucky with a novice coach twice?

Why not give him a go? The simple answer to that is that it's too much of a risk and we'd potentially end up well behind the league leaders.
But we gave the job to an experienced coach in Skalde and we finished up well behind the league leaders this season, I get your point Dupont is a novice coach but we played better with Dupont and the players certainly did

moggy#9

But we gave the job to an experienced coach in Skalde and we finished up well behind the league leaders this season, I get your point Dupont is a novice coach but we played better with Dupont and the players certainly did
Correlation is not causation. The upturn could equally be attributed to players returning from injury and playing for another contract.

voth26

Oh stop with the “you don’t like” crap. We are discussing their abilities not their personalities.

I’ve made many many comments stating Lords inexperience previously. He was inexperienced and lacked in many ways. I don’t have a problem with Lord at all, I’m just stating i don’t rate him as a coach many here do. I think the Devils was his peak, he’s repeated the same trait in Swamp Vile, started strong with his known guys, now each yr he’s going backwards. I’ve stated he recruits using his black box of player contacts and friend network, he lacked a plan B in many games.
Dupont l can only go on his playing abilities as he’s not coached yet, and as a player for the Devils he was dire, no or do you think he was.
Dupont wasn't brilliant as a player, but as a coach with Franny we played better, and the players seemed more settled and comfortable playing for Dupont, with regards to the "you don't like" crap you are always on here banging on about how rubbish lord is/was despite winning serious silverware for the Devil's. Don't like being called out maybe

Mazzoak

Dupont wasn't brilliant as a player, but as a coach with Franny we played better, and the players seemed more settled and comfortable playing for Dupont, with regards to the "you don't like" crap you are always on here banging on about how rubbish lord is/was despite winning serious silverware for the Devil's. Don't like being called out maybe
Like l said l can’t comment on Dupont as a Head Coach. From comments I’ve heard and read here he’s very much of a similar cut as Lord, so given time, he could be an equal or hopefully better coach for Cardiff. Saying l don’t rate Lord, fine, I don’t, I’ve never said l don’t like the guy as l don’t know him personally. I’m happy to be called out if I’m wrong, I’ve never ever stated anything l write is either right or wrong, for various reasons, I’m not dropping sources just to prove a point and argue, in the same token l could be wrong or inaccurate.

fridaysfingers

I think let’s be honest the Cardiff Devils have never been a team with the most orthodox of paths to coaching and it’s worked out so many times before. I think some are forgetting our history. Off the shelf coaches ain’t this clubs bag at all.

Rookie Coaches:

Lawless - Player Coach turned coach. Raw when he arrived at Devils.

Heavey - Devils were his first coaching job

Ed Patterson - Devils were first coaching job.

Gerald Adam’s - Devils were first coaching job

Andrew Lord - Devils were first coaching job.

Established coach’s:

Brian Kanewisher. Came and went

Jon Griffith. Came and went.

Troy Walkington. Came and went

Dave Whistle. Came and went.

Having a coach who is committed and passionate is worth way more than any coaching experience. Now it’s TKs decision to make but I wouldn’t be so keen to throw the arguments around that Cardiff Devils need an established coach. That’s being forgetful of the Devils DNA. You look at Pacha’s opening interview as CEO and he’s talking about regaining the Panthers identity. Devils would do well to not forget theirs.
The earlier coaches in this list I don’t think are really valid comparisons for what you need to be looking to find in a coach these days.
The amount of work a coach needs to do nowadays compared to JL chucking a few pucks on the ice for practice and doing a few drills, it world away

JC23

I think that's something important to remember. Theres a big difference between a lacklustre player and a player putting his body on the line whilst injured for the good of the team
(Not replying to you James, just adding to your point)

When DuPont was recruited by Skalde, Brodie told Skalde he wasn’t ready to play in August for CHL. He was 2 months behind on his training - and wouldn’t be ready until October/November. Skalde signed him anyway, and said it was fine.

Then, DuPont suffered a neck injury, which meant he couldn’t feel his legs at all…but he kept playing until we could find a replacement.

This guy is a Devil through and through in my opinion.

moggy#9

(Not replying to you James, just adding to your point)

When DuPont was recruited by Skalde, Brodie told Skalde he wasn’t ready to play in August for CHL. He was 2 months behind on his training - and wouldn’t be ready until October/November. Skalde signed him anyway, and said it was fine.

Then, DuPont suffered a neck injury, which meant he couldn’t feel his legs at all…but he kept playing until we could find a replacement.

This guy is a Devil through and through in my opinion.
If that's true, and I've no reason to doubt you, then this is a failure that has to be laid directly at skalde and Todd's door. Signing a player as your first line centre who you knew wouldn't be fully fit until so late is scandalous.

JC23

If that's true, and I've no reason to doubt you, then this is a failure that has to be laid directly at skalde and Todd's door. Signing a player as your first line centre who you knew wouldn't be fully fit until so late is scandalous.
From what I’ve heard, Todd & others weren’t so keen on the signing given the information, but Skalde insisted.

I’ll leave that where it is and allow others to take it as they would like.