Dupont named head coach

Finny

I wouldn't go so far as to say "dire" but unless you were hibernating for the winter months, I think it's fair to say our season (as a whole) was disappointing. We had moments of excellence that allowed us to compete in those competitions we did well in, and not completely lose track of the league, but there's still work to be done.

I think you singling out Mazzoak is tacky though. Regardless of whatever previously expressed opinions you might have disagreed with, singling out a poster's otherwise completely reasonable post to say "you're not a real fan" is gate-keeping, simple as, and pretty toxic in itself.
So you agree with my first point? At times last season it was disappointing but not dire.

I'm not singling out Mazzoak. They themselves have said they are not a Devils fan. And that they only have an interest in the Devils because it is their nearest team. That's fine.
But then they start posting comments pretending they are a fan. And then they're not. And so on and so on.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on here. But I don't think it is too much to ask for people to be honest?

E.D.S.

It's all subjective. Dire seems harsh to me but accurate for others. The playoffs is deemed a "tin pot" cup but still manages to give me the best experiences of my hockey life year after year. I've loved winning the league. It's the one that matters but nothing beats winning the playoffs (in my opinion) and being there for the weekend. Definitely not a dire season for me. Far from it. With the team we had, to finish 3rd, and be in two cup finals - winning one - I'll take that

moggy#9

Thread starter #125
Maybe because the information has been given on trust and if it’s shared here it’s pretty obvious where it’s come from.
I'm sure that many of us on here from time to time come into information that shouldn't be shared. I've been on both sides of this in the past - where a player has shared information with me, but asked me to embargo it (which I honoured), and where information I shared privately for legitimate reasons was inappropriately released. I also had this situation when I spotted the skalde signing press release going out early.

There's bound to be gossip, but sometimes dropping hints about what you know can be as damaging as coming out with it. There needs to be consideration for the club and the individuals concerned.

Mazzoak

So you agree with my first point? At times last season it was disappointing but not dire.

I'm not singling out Mazzoak. They themselves have said they are not a Devils fan. And that they only have an interest in the Devils because it is their nearest team. That's fine.
But then they start posting comments pretending they are a fan. And then they're not. And so on and so on.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on here. But I don't think it is too much to ask for people to be honest?
I've been honest about my interest, expressed an opinion. I’m not pretending anything.

jenks33

The words 'dire season' would have been harsh even had we lost to Glasgow in the quarters..2013/14 was a dire season, 2021/22 wasn't dire. My biggest criticism about last season has always been that i thought we were frustrating to watch at times as we were easy to keep to the outside. As much as people talk about a change of tactics under Dupont i still think it's risky to have a lack of size in our group of forwards.
It's fine margins though isn't it. I'm sure some people who are now saying it was a succesful season would have been saying it was a disappointing season had we lost on aggregate to Glasgow. And let's face it we squeezed through the quarters!
That's why success in the play offs in the UK can cloud your judgment in my opinion. I am worried that we might bring 1 or 2 players back that possibly don't deserve it if you look at their performances over the whole season.

moggy#9

Thread starter #128
The words 'dire season' would have been harsh even had we lost to Glasgow in the quarters..2013/14 was a dire season, 2021/22 wasn't dire. My biggest criticism about last season has always been that i thought we were frustrating to watch at times as we were easy to keep to the outside. As much as people talk about a change of tactics under Dupont i still think it's risky to have a lack of size in our group of forwards.
It's fine margins though isn't it. I'm sure some people who are now saying it was a succesful season would have been saying it was a disappointing season had we lost on aggregate to Glasgow. And let's face it we squeezed through the quarters!
That's why success in the play offs in the UK can cloud your judgment in my opinion. I am worried that we might bring 1 or 2 players back that possibly don't deserve it if you look at their performances over the whole season.
I agree with the idea that play off success papered over the cracks. There are fundamental flaws in some areas of the team. Fixing those will be DuPont's first challenge.

Rempel16

If it wasn’t a Dire situation Skalde would’ve remained coach till the end of the season, no.
All depends on what went down... Todd said that if you don't feel you're going to work together in the future, then why work another day with someone.

That's not a suggestion that the season was dire.

My guess is work ethic.
I think he under estimated the scale of the job etc…
There now I’ve said it!

Clean slate.… Dupont will have my 100% support!

Last edited:

Rempel16

Sorry this is not the point of this thread, let’s keep the discussion solely about our new coach.
In other words, Todd's statement does match the action....

Anyway, from what I heard, Skalde was more of a Dolly Parton coach, whilst Dupont is more of a Lionel Richie.

Mazzoak

If the run in to Christmas is better than many previous years, then we’ve potentially got a better season ahead. It seems to be a bit of an Achilles heal that we, the Devils, have. It was that period that some fans, not me, started slating Skalde, apparently 3-4 months is more than enough time for a new coach to settle in and beat teams that have more EIHL experienced players & coaches, hopefully Dupont can scratch that itch & fans won’t need to repeat throwing their toys outta their prams.

Rempel16

Iwe, the Devils, have. It was that period that some fans, not me, started slating Skalde
There's starting to become grounds for deliberate trolling now. Your consistent use of 'we' in reference to the Devils and it's fanbase, despite earlier admission that you're not actually a fan, could be considered to be baiting, which is against forum rules I believe.

voth26

But do we have the right players to go to the style described? I'm not convinced that we do. Let's see the recruitment when it happens to see if it can be made to work.
Another way to look at it is did we have the right players to play the style skalde wanted? I'm not so sure. The players seemed more comfortable playing the way Dupont wanted so I guess it depends who returns and who the new faces will be