Dupont named head coach

jenks33

But you pointed these as issues as to why he failed, so how could they be blown away, you weren’t . How do you know he blew them away in the interview ?
As part of the recruitment process, the coaching issues you’ve indicated, should’ve meant explaining to Skalde the differences, the expectations and basic requirements of a coach in the EIHL. Skalde wasn’t released because of coaching issues though.

Anyway this isn’t about Skalde, so I’ll back out of any further discussion here on the whys and what not of Skaldes departure.
Don’t you remember the song and dance about Skalde’s appointment?! Todd literally said they narrowed it down to two candidates but Skalde blew them away at interview stage.

And regarding your first point I don’t get what you mean? As i said I’m pointing things out in hindsight. Look at the recent appointments in the EIHL - Pacha, Mason, Gary Graham? They all look like decent appointments but nobody knows how they’re going to fare.

Happy to back out as well though as we don’t want a Dupont thread to turn into 20 posts about Skalde.

Mazzoak

Don’t you remember the song and dance about Skalde’s appointment?! Todd literally said they narrowed it down to two candidates but Skalde blew them away at interview stage.

And regarding your first point I don’t get what you mean? As i said I’m pointing things out in hindsight. Look at the recent appointments in the EIHL - Pacha, Mason, Gary Graham? They all look like decent appointments but nobody knows how they’re going to fare.

Happy to back out as well though as we don’t want a Dupont thread to turn into 20 posts about Skalde.
We are debating who’s what, said what, etc with basically nothing evidential.

voth26

Neither does it follow that someone new will have the success that lord did. Nothing in sport is guaranteed, I suppose that's the point.

In the case of skalde, I don't think that he knew what he was getting into. The format, the culture, officiating, expectations - all of these things would feed into it. This is why I said that I wanted someone who ideally had coaching experience here and in Europe.

Yes Dupont won the play offs, but that tells us very little about how he'd handle a full season. I think that in sport you have to play the percentages as you see them. Todd, who has a far better view off the last year than I do, sees things in a different way to the way I have. That's fine, but let's not pretend it's a given that Dupont will be Andrew lord 2.0.
I don't think it's a given that Dupont is Andrew Lord 2.0, I think he'll be his own man, as for Skalde I would expect him as an experienced coach to pay due diligence and find out exactly what he was getting into with regards to the league, expectations, the ethos of the Devil's organisation etc. Out of curiosity who would you think would be a good fit instead of Dupont

moggy#9

Thread starter #168
I don't think it's a given that Dupont is Andrew Lord 2.0, I think he'll be his own man, as for Skalde I would expect him as an experienced coach to pay due diligence and find out exactly what he was getting into with regards to the league, expectations, the ethos of the Devil's organisation etc. Out of curiosity who would you think would be a good fit instead of Dupont
As I've said elsewhere on the thread, I thought that Corey neilson ticked all of the boxes, but also agree with jenks that Dan ceman would have been good for us.

That is all irrelevant now though. I will judge Dupont on performance. By that I mean not if here's won a few early season games. He will be judged by me, and I suspect others, on how he does in the league and continental cup.

Wannabe2

Why are we still talking of alternatives, we have our coach and long may he rein. It was only 5 minutes ago we signed a player with no professional experience, never played abroad, and a real rookie, we took that player Brandt to our hearts and look how he turned out. It’s time now to turn that same support to our new coach, DuPont is our man let’s now let him know we are all in this together, he could just turn out to be a gem.

moggy#9

Thread starter #171
Was it this negative when Lord took the reins
We have to get behind him put on ice opinions to one side. He has already said on a podcast that he played and couldn’t really hold.the stick with one hand.
What has his injury got to do with his coaching ability? The issue here is experience. Nothing else. As I and others have said, now he's appointed he'll have the chance to prove himself.

moggy#9

Thread starter #172
Why are we still talking of alternatives, we have our coach and long may he rein. It was only 5 minutes ago we signed a player with no professional experience, never played abroad, and a real rookie, we took that player Brandt to our hearts and look how he turned out. It’s time now to turn that same support to our new coach, DuPont is our man let’s now let him know we are all in this together, he could just turn out to be a gem.
I think that Brandt is irrelevant to this. He came to the team with a good level of college experience, so the fact that he hadn't played Pro made him no different to many other players who come into the league via that route. Particularly as he was filling a role well down the depth chart. The reason he's become popular is because of his physical approach (which tells you something about the problems elsewhere in the team), and his family heritage - which I personally feel should make no difference.

The position of coach is pivotal to the club though. I'll certainly hope that Dupont is a success. All that I and others have said is that this is a risk we wouldn't have personally taken. Everyone here respects TK, and he clearly thinks it's the right move.

What I think it's wrong is the attitude of some here who seem to be against dissenting opinion on this forum. Everyone has a right to an opinion, ideally backed up by a decent argument, particularly if it differs from the majority and so brings a different viewpoint.

You make a fair point though about drawing a line under this discussion. Perhaps we should be discussing what happens to Pete russell as GB coach. ;-)

Kevlar68

I'm a bit miffed also when after naming Dupont as our coach people were talking of alternatives.
Devils Org would have looked at what's out there and went with Dupont so really that's the bottom line.
It's not like they're going to read this and think "shiiiiiit, oh yeah, why didn't we think of him" and change their minds. :rolleyes:

jenks33

It's a fans forum guys...

Personally i think the reaction to Dupon't appointment has been very positive but is it really a big deal if people are stating who they would have chosen as coach? Dupont's signing was only announced 5 days ago, it's not as if we're still harping on about it in September. To be fair somebody on here asked who people would have gone for instead of Dupont (apologies i can't remember who it was). I had no plans on mentioning Dan Ceman's name again but the question came up.

I 100% don't agree with players/coaches being tagged in posts on twitter but fans should be able to express their opinions on here. I bet Steve has strong opinions on the Calgary Flames because the Flames are his team. That's probably why he likes seeing passionate debates on here (within reason of course) it means we care.

I'm fully behind Dupont now. He was given a few weeks to impress and he passed the test. At this stage though there's nothing wrong with people mentioning who they would have gone for.

kingmo19.1

Brodie is our new coach.

Get behind him.

He’s professional, very articulate when interviewed and has in his limited time as a rookie coach won Silverware.

The management are behind him.

The players are behind him.

Your job as fans is to get behind him (quote from Fergie introducing David Moyes as Man Utd new manager - hope there are no parallels there).

Mods - suggest this thread is put to bed.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS! GO DUPES!

Mazzoak

DuPont is our man let’s now let him know we are all in this together, he could just turn out to be a gem.
He could also be completely useless, so time will tell, he will need more time than that afforded to Skalde, 3 months into a season is too soon for a melt down. I don’t enjoy reading fans moaning about not being entertained & self entitlement that was present last season. When a professional is new to the country, team and league you can’t expect greatness overnight. I’m a hockey fan, l don’t hold the same loyalty to Cardiff as everyone else here, l lack that passion, that’s no excuse for fans to berate a coach though as some on here did and many more at the IAW. Dupont gets my full backing and l hope he is an amazing coach and enjoys a long successful career in Cardiff.

Last edited:

jenks33

He could also be completely useless, so time will tell, he will need more time than that afforded to Skalde, 3 months into a season is too soon for a melt down. I don’t enjoy reading fans moaning about not being entertained & self entitlement that was present last season. When a professional is new to the country, team and league you can’t expect greatness overnight. I’m a hockey fan, l don’t hold the same loyalty to Cardiff as everyone else here, l lack that passion, that’s no excuse for fans to berate a coach though as some on here did and many more at the IAW. Dupont gets my full backing and l hope he is an amazing coach and enjoys a long successful career in Cardiff.
Aren’t you the one that said last season was dire? Surely if it’s dire (whether that’s on or off the ice) then you can’t blame a club for getting rid of the coach?

ASHIPP

What has his injury got to do with his coaching ability? The issue here is experience. Nothing else. As I and others have said, now he's appointed he'll have the chance to prove himself.
Andrew Lord had very limited experience of Europe as a player (one season in DEL2), had missed a season with Oklahoma in AHL due to a serious injury. He completed his coaching qualifications at the AHL team but Devils was his first coaching position. He did just fine.

Dupont has more experience as a player and a different starting point in coaching. He has already displayed some of the qualities required in that position, and he has the backing of the Owners, the Management and returning players. Most fans have reacted positively. He will be OK.