Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

Kevlar68

No disrespect to bowns but I don't think his stock value is as high as it was when he left us, don't think he'll be one of the highest wages.

Last edited:

Devil94

I said having an import as back up is a waste of an import spot if Bowns goes the distance and takes majority games, like Kevlar said it would make sense to have Import > Bowns > Kerlin

If we are gonna have an import goalie it should be a starting goalie not a back up goalie
But realistically there's only 2 British netminders good enough to play regularly in the league. So if you want 2 netminders that you're comfortable with, you either go 2 imports like last year, or you go the way we have with Bowns or Whistle, and Bownsy isn't going to play back up in this league at only 31.
I thought at times having 2 import netminders was a waste last year. The way we will go this year will give us 2 good netminders while also giving as an extra import skater. A win win if you ask me.

Have Hope#35

Ideally Carruth and Bowns on a proper tandem would of been the dream.

Kerlin I think is a project Bowns has taken on as a future replacement for himself as a starting goalie for GB, until we find out who the back up is we won't know what's happening and what sort of split the goalies share.
You are never getting those two on a tandem... If you sign Carruth he is starting minimum of 80% of games and the ones he misses are Challenge Cup Group Games. Kerlin is an excellent pick-up as he's one for the future and will no doubt only train with us this season unless we pick-up an Injury! Bowns needs to be with an Import No.2 and will likely see less games than he used to so assuming Kozun re-signs he will almost definitely feature in more games this year, he was signed as No.1 goalie in the season that never happened.
I don't see it as a waste of an Import, rather we've gained an Import out skater on last season!

jenks33

He certainly was, and in fairness if he was number one and playing regularly he may have been a gem, who knows.
I like Kozun. Just my opinion but I think he’s a good 1B goalie. He did very well in the CC group games last season and if he does return I’ll be happy if the plan is for him to play up to 1/3 of our games. If I’m brutally honest though would I want him starting those big matches against Sheffield/Belfast/Nottingham? Probably not.

What I would say is it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s more to come from him. He certainly showed at times last season that he could be brilliant on his day. I thought he struggled towards the end of the season ( I think he conceded 6 in Glasgow and 6 in Guildford) but overall he showed he’s a good goalie.