Too Big or not toooo Big

Hedd Wyn John

Basically for gigs & other events cardiff has the Principality 73,000+ capacity. Cardiff City Stadium 25000+ and then you drop down to the CIA which is 5000-7000 capacity. The Principality and City stadium's availability is also constrained by sporting events.

So the desire for a 15,000 capacity indoor arena is to have a large enough arena to compete with other major UK cities for gigs & events like Manchester and Bristol as the CIA is simply too small for a lot of big concerts and the City stadium & Principality are too big.

For ice hockey 15,000 is way too big for Cardiff. If we in Cardiff were able to upgrade to a bigger arena for ice hockey I'd say 5,000 capacity would be the most ideal. I think we'd struggle to fill a Sheffield or Nottingham sized arena.

Kevlar68

I travel all over the UK to see certain concerts as cardiff hasn't got that in between size venue that most bands need due to fan base.
Sometimes it's cheaper to travel further in Europe to see concerts.
So a 12-15,000 arena is needed in cardiff but as a hockey venue it's not.

On a slight tangent, I'm off to Cardiff Castle this year, for my first gig in there. Google says 'up to 10,000', which I assume is mostly standing.
Any way, total fantasy, but how cool would the castle be for a 'Winter Classic', one off game!

Hedd Wyn John

On a slight tangent, I'm off to Cardiff Castle this year, for my first gig in there. Google says 'up to 10,000', which I assume is mostly standing.
Any way, total fantasy, but how cool would the castle be for a 'Winter Classic', one off game!
Not a bad idea though any rink is likely to turn into a swimming pool due to heavy rain.

Kevlar68

I like the idea but i think the set up cost for just one game may not be viable what with temp ice pad, boarding, then safe arena style seating and UK health and safety coming out your wazooo, cost of using castle grounds and staff. . Shame though.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

I like the idea but i think the set up cost for just one game may not be viable what with temp ice pad, boarding, then safe arena style seating and UK health and safety coming out your wazooo, cost of using castle grounds and staff. . Shame though.
Sadly yes..... what about the millennium stadium though? counter intuitively it might be a cheaper option.....

Hedd Wyn John

Sadly yes..... what about the millennium stadium though? counter intuitively it might be a cheaper option.....
Would have to sell a LOT of tickets to make that viable & I mean a LOT. 30,000+ I would imagine & even then would you want to play such a game in a half empty stadium.

Cardiff City stadium would make more sense but even then it would be a stretch.

Ocko

Basically for gigs & other events cardiff has the Principality 73,000+ capacity. Cardiff City Stadium 25000+ and then you drop down to the CIA which is 5000-7000 capacity. The Principality and City stadium's availability is also constrained by sporting events.

So the desire for a 15,000 capacity indoor arena is to have a large enough arena to compete with other major UK cities for gigs & events like Manchester and Bristol as the CIA is simply too small for a lot of big concerts and the City stadium & Principality are too big.

For ice hockey 15,000 is way too big for Cardiff. If we in Cardiff were able to upgrade to a bigger arena for ice hockey I'd say 5,000 capacity would be the most ideal. I think we'd struggle to fill a Sheffield or Nottingham sized arena.
The capacity of the new area has been reduced from 17,500 to 15,000. Take out the floor seating/standing and it’s 11500-12000 seats in a bowl. Only slightly bigger than Sheffield.

100% Todd will have an eye on this.