Fans' Forum

Devils86

Thread starter #1
7pm (Doors: 1830) on Thursday 14th March is a Fans' Forum event with Todd and Katrina.

A good opportunity for everyone to voice their opinions (good or constructive) in person.

E.D.S.

Seems a tad harsh. I’ve seen Katrina reacting and listening to this forum and being gracious enough to respond - logo aside - this group of people running this organisation have proven time and time again how much they want to move us forward and do the right thing (logo aside). Can’t fault them (logo aside).

KatrinaW

Main reason is to sell season tickets and overpriced beer
Absolutely wrong opinion about the aim of our Fan Forum.

We want to give fans the opportunity to meet with us and ask those burning questions or share ideas or suggestions.

It really saddens me to read the negative comments posted so far, when we are probably the only club in the EIHL to actively encourage feedback and organise a forum for discussion.

I truly hope those that are vocal on here will join us on Thursday with your questions

KatrinaW

They probably won’t, although what do you expect?
10 years ago we had an owner who had isolated the fan base, didn't look after the players and we finished in 9th place. You now have owners and an organisation who actively engage with fans and players who are treated well, with a competitive team.

Yes we may make unpopular decisions or even better, could have communicated more proactively. But we are always evolving and learning and we know we won't please everyone. There is not one sports team or business out there who gets it right 100% of the time.

So please explain the 'what do you expect?'

Wannabe2

In fairness to the club they didn’t have to call this meeting, it seems like the old cliche damned if you do, and damned if you don’t, and I can’t see any other club doing this, now if that’s because other clubs don’t need to or maybe can’t be bothered is a another debate. The one thing I will say is that whether we agree with all the decisions, or disagree with the decisions , I still think we all want what’s best for our club ,if of course it’s still our club and many will think it is, and many think it ain’t and for me that’s pretty sad. You don’t need to be Einstein to know this club is in the best hands it’s ever been in financial wise, and that’s a massive plus but the organisation ain’t perfect like the fans and punters ain’t perfect either. With the size of our club as opposed to the Giants, Steelers, Panthers, to achieve success we all need to be reading of the same page, this clubs success has always been through working together and not working apart, and that’s what we have always been known for and respected for. Cardiff Devils for many many years have been respected in this league, thru thick and thin we stood together and watched each others back, that’s why we are still here and long may it continue. I love this club so very much it’s an extension of my family to me, and there’s very little I wouldn’t do for it and for an old git to feel 18yrs of age on match night is a pretty neat feeling. Family’s have disagreements we all know that, but communication is key to having a healing process, fans need a first class ownership, and they also need to feel wanted, ownership need a class fan base to feed off and to succeed I feel we have all been a bit off course lately, but as in life nothing is always perfect, and as the saying goes it’s good to talk.

doron

i think katrinaw is right in what she said. should not complain until its been, and you find your self not impressed, or even better you could say something at the event, but i think it is a good thing to have this event. and praise to the club for doing it.

Diablo3

It has nothing to do with season ticket sales. The place is sold out every week so there is no pressure to sell season tickets. Be interesting to see what is on the agenda though. Perhaps extra seating in the gantry?

Absolutely wrong opinion about the aim of our Fan Forum.

We want to give fans the opportunity to meet with us and ask those burning questions or share ideas or suggestions.

It really saddens me to read the negative comments posted so far, when we are probably the only club in the EIHL to actively encourage feedback and organise a forum for discussion.

I truly hope those that are vocal on here will join us on Thursday with your questions
Katrina, sadly you will not change a lot of people's minds/thoughts. I have been around hockey for over 40yrs and always find that SOME ( not all by any means)of the longest serving fans are so of the mindset that they should be informed of everything that goes on within a club and that they should be listened to on everything and if a club dares do anything they don't like they retreat behind their keyboards and vent the injustice !!
I read on the retro shirt thread that the shirts are good after the 'shambles of the relaunch' and yet when I watch the webcast or go to an away game, there are loads and loads of people wearing the new logo shirts.

We all get sentimental about 'the good old days' but times have changed and the modern hockey is very money orientated. The Devils can not earn revenue by getting more bums on seats so have to think of new ways to bring money into the club. Some seem to think that because are owners are wealthy that they should just pay for stuff.

I really hope the fans that do attend the forum do get a chance to put across their feelings but also use the chance to listen to what the club are trying to achieve .

** Just to make it clear ( as people seem to have a problem when ever I post) that this is the same in all clubs and I am not being solely specific to the Devils fans.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend x

KatrinaW

I openly welcome feedback, because if we don't know what we could differently or listen to suggestions, how can we ever get better as an organisation?
Which is why we are holding a fan forum - an opportunity to ask questions, debate, share suggestions / ideas, everyone then feels more connected as a result of their opportunity to share their input.

What I struggle with is the defeatist attitude before the question has been asked and a response given. Problems presented, no solutions / ideas offered. Comments made online without factual information to support them and then we offer a fan forum, where immediately 'excuses' are offered as to why it won't work.

I do hope those of you who have chosen to offer a negative response to next week's event, will make an effort to be there and openly ask your questions. Everyone is welcome!

kettdevil1

I openly welcome feedback, because if we don't know what we could differently or listen to suggestions, how can we ever get better as an organisation?
Which is why we are holding a fan forum - an opportunity to ask questions, debate, share suggestions / ideas, everyone then feels more connected as a result of their opportunity to share their input.

What I struggle with is the defeatist attitude before the question has been asked and a response given. Problems presented, no solutions / ideas offered. Comments made online without factual information to support them and then we offer a fan forum, where immediately 'excuses' are offered as to why it won't work.

I do hope those of you who have chosen to offer a negative response to next week's event, will make an effort to be there and openly ask your questions. Everyone is welcome!
100%

Maybe my experience differs from others but whenever I have asked something to a member of the Devils organisation, I have always got a clear (and well argued) response. I might not agree but someone always takes the time to talk. Given my experience with (some) other sporting organisations I would say that the Devils as a whole is one of the best at having hyper-visible people on a match night who are actually approachable.

Not sure what (some) people want?

pjj365

I just hope the keyboard warriors come out and raise their concerns/criticism in public.

It would be good if someone would take notes of Qs and As and post them here without comment so that we Cymru oddi Cartref know what's said.

We don't need "well they would say that wouldn't they" or worse (as has been said on here far too frequently) "they must be lying" We just need a simple record of the evening. TK and KW are doing a good thing it should not be undermined by people looking for fault at every turn.

10 years ago we had an owner who had isolated the fan base, didn't look after the players and we finished in 9th place. You now have owners and an organisation who actively engage with fans and players who are treated well, with a competitive team.

+
Yep and 10 years ago there were groups of fans that enabled the behaviour of the owner and backed up his lunacy and started calling other fans negative, to be fair he called many fan's forums but set the agenda for those forums and refused to answer questions on difficult subjects. Not saying the current management would do the same, but I have lost the love for this club.
I just go to watch hockey and meet up with mates, the launch of the Laughing Cow logo was the last event I will bother to attend, it was such a letdown, shame you didn't call a forum to discuss the plans for that

Last edited:
Unfortunately I’m not able to attend Thursday, but If someone could please address the lack of lighting…
Not one of the walkway lights was working/on yesterday so it was pitch black between the pool and rink. Surely this would fail any H&S inspection?
As the council have confirmed it’s not under their jurisdiction, someone has to assume responsibility at some point!