Devils v Steelers - League - 20th Mar 24 - FO 1930

Very proud of our Team tonight. Yes, plenty of penalties and fighting, but they sent a message loud and clear that swaggering Steelers can't visit our place and have an easy ride.

Devils played the puck possession game very well. Defence excellent....not that Steelers ever looked threatening. Once our Guys had disrupted Steelers' flow and got in to their heads, it wasn't going to be easy for the Orange.

Proud of the way our Guys didn't crumble after 2 washed out goals, and ,goddammit, so excited that we saw a glimpse of the past...'old style' hockey returned to Cardiff!
Now play like that every game Guys and those season tickets will be snapped up.
I have said for a VERY long time that this no nonsense hockey is what pulls the crowds in and raises the roof in atmosphere which in turn raises all the players on our team. It also leads to confidence in the team, gives your more skilled players more time/room to do things on the ice as the opposing team are more concerned about getting hit or being held to account.

By the sounds of it tonight showed again that this style of hockey works and the crowd love it.

Awesome result tonight lads and by the sounds of it the crowd in attendance played a huge part.

Out of interest I wonder if Finny could look at the stats over the last few years, in particular home games, and see if the checks/fights/physicality per games has any impact on the result. Would make interesting viewing going forward to building next years squad now that other leagues are again starting to become more physical.

E.D.S.

Just a complete performance. Defensively superb. They didn’t get beat Bowns. Batch was a standout, blocked everything, took responsibility when needed and joined the rush at every opportunity. Arniel looked like having a difficult evening at first but he kept trying, hit everything and was relentless. Just a menace, as was Barrow.
Brandt… what a guy!

BostonBart22

Sheffield totally outplayed in every dept, is that 9....1 we beat them last 2 home games ? Gripe now , why are coaches allowed ipads on the bench, the first goal disallowed was influenced by fox and gave the actual penalty info to the officials, tk me it looked liked greenfield dropped his stick knowing he was beaten . Then fox calls the 2nd disallowed goal, those 2 stoppages just slowed down the momentum we had to go and score more straight away , fox once again outfoxed in our barn, we'll played devils and coaches , best this season by far . I think Sheffield will want to avoid ys in the playoffs .

Swarley

Great win but why after foxs challenge was there no penalty against the steelers for delay of game? Did we have brand new rookie officals tonight or are we supposed to believe accidents happen and the seasoned officals forgot about that rule?

jimmy snels

have you noticed,
Marcus Crawford
is in the joint 5th player position, in top points scored (49) . and also the only defenceman in the top 37

playmaker extraordinaire i think

Yet repeatedly gave the puck away (in particular the 2nd period where I'm not sure he made a decent defensive play) and took a ridiculous cross checking penalty at the 2nd period break.

To me Donny and Wilde are streets ahead in all around game.

jimmy snels

Really enjoyed that tonight again. Goes to show they really aren't that much better. Just needed to be more consistent

Last edited:

The_Stick_

We’re go 3-2 against Sheffield in the league series. As good as that is, it’s frustrating we couldn’t get it done against certain other teams. We would of made for quite an interesting title race

James

Administrator
Great win but why after foxs challenge was there no penalty against the steelers for delay of game? Did we have brand new rookie officals tonight or are we supposed to believe accidents happen and the seasoned officals forgot about that rule?
You lose your timeout for a failed coaches challenge don’t you?

Earnie

What a super night of hockey. We had a game plan and it worked . So proud of the team.We haven’t got there yet but I hope we meet Sheffield in Nottingham . They will rightly be nervous of us and we are the only team who can stop them getting the treble!

Devils86

Fantastic game tonight. Effort and fight all through the side. Bowns solid as ever. Only mistakes across the 60 were when we gave up some chances short handed to the Orange by passing straight at them. Don and Batch were impressive.

Barrow and Alderson seem to playing for a contract recently - have been reinvigorated last few games and Alderson in particular was very effective tonight. Cox sometimes feels like he suffers when he has too much time to overthink and needs to be more instinctive.

Stripes: useless as always and added to the pantomime of the game. Lots of dirty play after the whistle let go and they only seemed willing to actually do anything as long as they could stick one player from each side in the box, unless there was an opportunity to stick Crawford or Cox away...

Extra thanks for the stripes being very clear in declaring that a few shots hadn't gone in....when the puck flew miles wide

Crowd were great tonight. Same can't be said for the Shhhhhhhteelers on their big day out.

Wasn't overly impressed with the DJ playing "Everybody was Kung-fu fighting" when Steelers in town....