Devils Vs Giants - PO Semi Final - 20th April - FO 19:00

Jonesy83

This season has been a complete let down.

.14 points of top spot in the league.
.1/4 Challenge Cup Exit.
.3rd in the Conti Cup in our own rink.
.Losing in the Play Off Semi Final to a Belfast team that aren’t a patch on any team they’ve had in recent years.

I don’t see any movement forward this season.

jenks33

I don’t think we were abysmal, we just looked toothless. We knew Belfast were going to be stingy defensively (as they were vs Coventry) but it looked like we hadn’t done our homework. Let’s be honest we were lucky to get that PP towards the end of the game that lead to Donaghey’s goal. The first period was fairly even but we didn’t look like scoring 5 on 5 in the last 40 minutes.

Another season where we have flattered to deceive and another season where many of the same problems were still evident.
In truth we were further away from winning any silverware than either of the previous two seasons and I have very little optimism that we will do what needs to be done to finish above a resurgent Sheffield and a Belfast organisation with a point to prove that this season’s dismal showing is a 'one off'!

Apparently, I believe the Club have said they are happy with progress both on and off the ice, however I am not of that opinion myself.

I have been biding my time for a few weeks to put up this post so it’s no knee-jerk reaction, it’s a measured response!

Last edited:

jenks33

I appreciate the semi final only finished 5 minutes ago but we always get told off for talking about next seasons roster until the season is over. Ully has been a bit disappointing for me. I thought he would be a top 10 point scorer in the league, I predicted 55+ points. He’s underachieved with 43 points in my opinion and I’ve questioned his desire at times.

doron

we never looked like a threat to the giants, even coventy played a lot better game than us. we only deserve 4th spot. some players are living of repatation and not performance.

Did we deserve to win that game, hell no, Belfast done there research on how we enter there zone and took our game away. We didnt have a plan B, we was not hard enough and just out battled. Shocking misses by the ref towards the end, hit on Crandell and too many men, beyond a joke

we got what we deserved nowhere near good enough tonight or most of the season.our first line is not good enough for us to win silverware.im still waiting for these supposedly top players we signed in the summer to turn up because im not at all impressed with some of the new players we signed in the summer.its time to put martin down the lines and get a brand new first line who are bigger and capable when it comes to the big games.

moggy#9

Did we deserve to win that game, hell no, Belfast done there research on how we enter there zone and took our game away. We didnt have a plan B, we was not hard enough and just out battled. Shocking misses by the ref towards the end, hit on Crandell and too many men, beyond a joke
To be honest, if those penalties had been called and we'd capitalised it would have just papered over the cracks. As it is we've not improved on Dupont.

For me Todd has to completely rethink recruitment. Too many of the north Americans we're bringing in seem to lack skills and work ethic.

I’d hate to see what the 8 teams who finished behind us are saying.
Well the team that finished one place behind us in the league are happier than we are tonight. But in saying that they will be far from happy with their season overall and will be all guns blazing to make improvements next season. We should be doing exactly the same.

jenks33

I’ll be more opinionated about Pete Russell next season. Whatever the club say I still think Pete didn’t have much of a say in this seasons re-signings. A lot of us found it bizarre that we re-signed Pietroniro when we already had Brandt. You clearly didn’t need both and judging by Pete’s roster selections he didn’t think we needed Chad either. Just let him pick his roster