OPINIONS: What do the Devils do?

Pembo

For me we have to keep Busch. When he was injured we were rubbish, he comes back and we pick up again. I also thought we were moving away from enforcers in this league, but that is not the case, most sides, apart from us, had that type of player, which meant we probably had the most fights of any team. (no deterrent)

It would be a shame if Arniel does retire, I've enjoyed watching him
I would also give Ully another season.
If as some suggest we let two or more Brits go, who do we replace them with? Harewood maybe, who else?

Too early for me to consider the other players.
I agree about Ully, there were several games before he got injured where I felt he was our best player and seemed to be hitting his stride. He’s been a point a game player for years and I would give him another season.

Arniel’s compete level has been great and have enjoyed watching him it’s a shame he’s in mid 30s.

The Brits is where it gets really tricky. Most of our core Brits are wrong side of 30. We need to start succession planning as teams like Steelers and Belfast have decent Brit core with some guys with years left in the tank playing decently in top two lines. Even teams like Nottingham have some real good young British guys who can be a fixture in the league long term. I’m concerned with the nature of Waller’s injury that it may hurt his primary asset - his speed, and risk of further injuries will be significantly higher with the sort of op and rehab he has needed.

Fact that we haven’t used Harewood even when slot available midweek when he’s been at the rink maybe suggests PR doesn’t feel he’s quite at that level or needs a bit longer.

Most obvious Brits to consider picking up would be Brine (if would be happy to come in as GK2). He’s not currently at a level where he’s going to run a 90% save percentage but would be investment in future and free up another import slot.

Hopkins from Cov would be a canny pickup. His numbers not amazing from last season but wasn’t on the best line. I think he has a decent ceiling and already has good EIHL experience despite being really young, his compete level is high and I’ve seen a lot of really good things when I’ve seen him play this season (I’ve seen a lot of Blaze), decision making has been really smart. Slot him in a line with Brandt and Davies and he’ll do well. Also more realistic that we can pick him up compared to established high line Brits like Hook, Neilson or Tetlow. Kieron Brown from Leeds may be worth rolling dice on but I think he’d rather be top dog in an NIHL side than minimal minutes on an EIHL lower line.

Finny

At the start of last season I was convinced that line 1 would be Ully-Arniel-Crandall and that Cox-Martin-Sanford would drop to line 2.

But it never worked out that way. And I don't really get why. Arniel started the season looking like one of the best players in the league - but quickly couldn't sustain it. Although I did hear he played most of the season with an injury. Ully had some great spells but as others have said - I expected him to be up there amongst the top-scorers in the league yet he was only 7th for us!
But he is only 29 so has several more years left in. I'm always wary of dismissing someone too soon after being told that Haddad was nearly released after one of his early seasons and it took Fournier several years to adjust before becoming one of the best Dmen the league has ever seen.

I don't see a problem with Martin being 2nd line centre if we get in a whole new 1st line. He ended up our second highest goalscorer with 24 from 43 games in the league. And there is enough talent for a 3rd line too.

What we need is a new 1st line and at least 2 new Dmen. Hopefully stronger, more defensive Dmen as I think we all agree we have missed that this season.

ASHIPP

Regarding British players...

Surely Bayley Harewood will be integrated into the senior team now? He played well in the games he featured this season. Loved his energy, his fearlessness and net presence. Start him with Ben and Riley.....what a line that will be.

Brine at Dundee is an impressive young goalie. He did well in the latter part of the season. If the Devils did persuade him to join the organisation, they would need to ensure his development and game time. Otherwise leaving Dundee would be retrograde for him.

Think it's a stretch to imagine British players like Neilson, Tetlow , Hook joining. They maybe happy as they are/or and there will be interest from Steelers, Giants, Panthers etc. BTW Is Johnny Curran from the Blaze classed as an I.port or Brit?

Devils have not been known in recent seasons bringing British players up through our organisation or affiliates to the senior team. Our British players have already been here longterm, or poached.

Mooney#16

Are both Perlini’s Brits or just Brett. Did Brendan do enough years junior hear to quality as an EIHL Brit. His elite prospects has his junior team as Sault St Marie but if he registered as an under 12 or 14 here then he’d be a Brit. I’d take the Perlini boys in Devils colours.

RedDevil17

Keep:

Bowns (backup or 1B)
Batch
Wilde
Donaghey
Arniel
Barrow
Brandt
Crandall
Martin
Waller

Release:

Crawford
Cox
Sanford (we can upgrade)
Duggan
Richie
Rymsha
Mosey
Alderson
Wall
Pietroniro

Unsure:

Busch
Ully

Not sure if I’m missing anyone?

Last edited:

RedDevil17

Regarding British players...

Surely Bayley Harewood will be integrated into the senior team now? He played well in the games he featured this season. Loved his energy, his fearlessness and net presence. Start him with Ben and Riley.....what a line that will be.

Brine at Dundee is an impressive young goalie. He did well in the latter part of the season. If the Devils did persuade him to join the organisation, they would need to ensure his development and game time. Otherwise leaving Dundee would be retrograde for him.

Think it's a stretch to imagine British players like Neilson, Tetlow , Hook joining. They maybe happy as they are/or and there will be interest from Steelers, Giants, Panthers etc. BTW Is Johnny Curran from the Blaze classed as an I.port or Brit?

Devils have not been known in recent seasons bringing British players up through our organisation or affiliates to the senior team. Our British players have already been here longterm, or poached.
Maybe we could go for Joey Lewis? Plays DEL2 and is Welsh. Could be a good pickup

doron

Sanford: must keep Yes
Martin: drop down line Yes
Cox: ?
Ully: ?
Arniel: yes
Barrow: Yes
Alderson: yes
Busch: ?
Crandall: Yes
Waller: Yes
Brandt: must keep Yes
Davies: yes
Duggan: No stats say it all
Pietrinero: No

Donaghey: no
Rymsha: No
Crawford: must keep Yes
Wilde: yes
Mosey: Yes
Richardson: no stats say it all
Batch: No

Bowns: Yes
Wall: No.

when i say stats say it all, then you may as well try someone new, you got nothing to lose?
give somebody a chance to prove themselves

Sanford: Yes
Martin: Yes
Cox: No
Ully: No or maybe. It’s tricky.
Arniel: No. We need to bring in younger and bigger.
Barrow: Yes. He has potential, youth and heart.
Alderson: No. I thought he really improved since Conti but he’s getting older.
Busch: Yes
Crandall: Yes. With captaincy.
Waller: Yes. But think he’s style over substance and I have concerns about his attitude. I just think we will be short of good Brit replacements
Brandt: Yes. Every day.
Davies: Yes.
Duggan: No
Pietroniro: No. love him but think he’s a luxury spare and would like to see him thrive elsewhere

Donaghey: Yes
Crawford: Yes
Wilde: No. doesn’t seem to gel with the team and often seems to lack attention/intensity periodically In the game.
Mosey: No. we need bigger and better on both D and F.
Richardson: Yes. But on less money given his age and drop in performance this season. And not on the leadership team.
Batch: Yes. He’s done amazingly well this season.

Bowns: Yes. But as a tandem with a better import, not as our only option like this year.
Wall: No. He needs to play consistently to develop and we need a player equal to Bowns’ best game to get silverware.

Pembo

Maybe we could go for Joey Lewis? Plays DEL2 and is Welsh. Could be a good pickup
Curran like Mosey doesn’t qualify as a Brit for the quota as need to have youth hockey over here. Betteridge like Tetlow would be hard to get away from Nottingham as Panthers budget would be equivalent and they are established Panthers.

JC23

I’ve been talking about Joey Lewis for years now, including 2 years ago at Playoffs with Franny.

Issue is, he now has a German passport, so would be very tough to bring out of that league.

Diablo3

If we lose 3Brits don't we need to sign 3 to keep the homegrown players if so not sure where they come from
Didn't they reduce the requirement to 5 this season, but we still had 6, so would only need to replace 2 to comply (I say "only" but that is still not easy)

Wannabe2

Sanford: Yes
Martin: Yes
Cox: No
Ully: No or maybe. It’s tricky.
Arniel: No. We need to bring in younger and bigger.
Barrow: Yes. He has potential, youth and heart.
Alderson: No. I thought he really improved since Conti but he’s getting older.
Busch: Yes
Crandall: Yes. With captaincy.
Waller: Yes. But think he’s style over substance and I have concerns about his attitude. I just think we will be short of good Brit replacements
Brandt: Yes. Every day.
Davies: Yes.
Duggan: No
Pietroniro: No. love him but think he’s a luxury spare and would like to see him thrive elsewhere

Donaghey: Yes
Crawford: Yes
Wilde: No. doesn’t seem to gel with the team and often seems to lack attention/intensity periodically In the game.
Mosey: No. we need bigger and better on both D and F.
Richardson: Yes. But on less money given his age and drop in performance this season. And not on the leadership team.
Batch: Yes. He’s done amazingly well this season.

Bowns: Yes. But as a tandem with a better import, not as our only option like this year.
Wall: No. He needs to play consistently to develop and we need a player equal to Bowns’ best game to get silverware.
Very good choice, myself I would also say NO to Crawford, and a maybe to Arniel, that’s 10 changes for me.

Wannabe2

Gets plenty of assists, but he is hardly a defence man, makes lots of mistakes, takes plenty of stupid penalties,cant defend,can’t pass, a cheap shot, no backbone not for me sorry.

Rempel16

Gets plenty of assists, but he is hardly a defence man, makes lots of mistakes, takes plenty of stupid penalties,cant defend,can’t pass, a cheap shot, no backbone not for me sorry.
That is a very impressive amount of assists for a guy that can't pass.

I wasn't overly fussed about Crawford coming back this season. For 24/25 he is near the top of my list for re-signings.