OPINIONS: What do the Devils do?

Wannabe2

That is a very impressive amount of assists for a guy that can't pass.

I wasn't overly fussed about Crawford coming back this season. For 24/25 he is near the top of my list for re-signings.
Yet Crawford had more points 22-23 season than this season, yet you weren’t fussed about him coming back then. When you maybe make 1500 - 2000 passes a season surely some of them has to be tidy, I don’t have a problem with people who want him back, and maybe understand their reasons why, but stats dont always tell the full story, as we often say we sometimes see games and players in different ways. Crawford is just not for me , if he is back he is back, if he ain’t I won’t lose any sleep. Have a good off season mate.

ASHIPP

Sam Duggan has been called up to Team GB. Do folks really think he is going somewhere else next season? Unless it's Sweden, of course. Played a lot of hockey over there in previous years.

Rempel16

Yet Crawford had more points 22-23 season than this season, yet you weren’t fussed about him coming back then. When you maybe make 1500 - 2000 passes a season surely some of them has to be tidy, I don’t have a problem with people who want him back, and maybe understand their reasons why, but stats dont always tell the full story, as we often say we sometimes see games and players in different ways. Crawford is just not for me , if he is back he is back, if he ain’t I won’t lose any sleep. Have a good off season mate.
I totally agree about stats not telling the full story.

So for me, I wasn't fussed last summer as I felt that he took too many penalties at the wrong times in games (much like Haddad in season 1). I also felt that his defensive work was below par.

This season, I have seen a marked improvement in the penalties. They are not as often and not so costly in games. His defensive work has much improved also. I don't consider that he is a liability by any stretch, which he was bordering upon previously.

Would I like him to stand up for himself more, rather than the shithousery? Yes I absolutely would. However, I can take that as he clearly winds the opposition up. I do wish he was more like Hotham and just get one because he enjoys it.
I love that he protects his netminder. A lot of d-men could learn from him.

Have a great off-season yourself!!!

Yet again, of all the players to focus on during this early off-season, from this years team, it’s our MVP, the EIHL all star player as voted by coaches and best defence-man of the year (for second year running). Makes zero sense to me the negative focus he gets from a few - in the slightest. He will be a wanted man this summer across Europe make no mistake.

BostonBart22

Yet again, of all the players to focus on during this early off-season, from this years team, it’s our MVP, the EIHL all star player as voted by coaches and best defence-man of the year (for second year running). Makes zero sense to me the negative focus he gets from a few - in the slightest. He will be a wanted man this summer across Europe make no mistake.
Exactly, Crawford must be wondering wtf have I done wrong in the last 2 seasons, some fans just turn a blind eye to a player that has won the accolades of coaches up and down the country, just seems some fans want to drive him away, and who could blame him with all the negativity surrounding his success, they will soon shout if he goes and his replacement is a complete waste of space, I would take Crawford back 100 %no brainer with me and no doubt our coach and management will do all they can to keep him..be intresting what Mr King is wondering wtf do our fanbase want...come on Mr. King let's have an insight into this matter..

Wannabe2

Who wants to drive him away, and why would he be driven away because some fans don't find him their cup of tea, hopefully he is more of a man than that. I said if he comes back he comes back, but I won’t be shouting if he don’t.

E.D.S.

I think sometimes people forget this is a hockey forum. No harm in anyone coming on here and debating a players merits post season. Dam sight more informative and interesting that just saying "stay" or "go" after their name. As for driving a player away, behave. I'm sure he's big enough to deal with this. For me, Im not fussed. I see his role as easily replaceable including his points/assists. His role is to get those assists whilst paying little attention to defending. Much easier to rack up the numbers when you're as offensive as he is.

Crawford is a commodity at our level, just as say a 6’4” goal scoring power forward is. He is a high risk/high reward type of player who is still young and developing his game.
He was good in his first season and his game improved in his second season and I will go out on a limb here and say that he has all the tools to be as good as Gleason Fournier was for us.
His peers and coaches voted him an All Star (twice), we don’t need to jettison our star D man we need more forwards with good defensive responsibilities to cover his forward forays, just like Fournier had when he was here!

GAVIN

Crawford is a commodity at our level, just as say a 6’4” goal scoring power forward is. He is a high risk/high reward type of player who is still young and developing his game.
He was good in his first season and his game improved in his second season and I will go out on a limb here and say that he has all the tools to be as good as Gleason Fournier was for us.
His peers and coaches voted him an All Star (twice), we don’t need to jettison our star D man we need more forwards with good defensive responsibilities to cover his forward forays, just like Fournier had when he was here!
And when gleason comes home, this will allow Crawford to go forward with gleason staying back to cover

Devil94

And when gleason comes home, this will allow Crawford to go forward with gleason staying back to cover
Not really what we would want Gleason to do. He's at his best going forward and one of the best skaters ever in a Devils jersey. We need 2 d men to cover those two on different pairings. Donaghey is one, and then a new signing for the first pairing for me. Then Batch and Ritchie the 3rd.

Finny

Not really what we would want Gleason to do. He's at his best going forward and one of the best skaters ever in a Devils jersey. We need 2 d men to cover those two on different pairings. Donaghey is one, and then a new signing for the first pairing for me. Then Batch and Ritchie the 3rd.
Agreed. Gleason first started showing us what he could do when we paired him with Louis, and then his his peak when he was paired with Richardson.
If he is returning, he needs a solid defensive defenceman alongside him so he has the freedom to attack when he wants.

moggy#9

Agreed. Gleason first started showing us what he could do when we paired him with Louis, and then his his peak when he was paired with Richardson.
If he is returning, he needs a solid defensive defenceman alongside him so he has the freedom to attack when he wants.
And that returns to the crux of our defensive issues - the balance of our pairings and the lack of stay at home defence.

kettdevil1

For me the biggest issue is the lack of signing a player like Mikkelson,morrisonn,Strachan, Louis ect.

We have suffered because we have great D going forward, but not great D for defending.
Fair assessment for me. Batch is probably the closest we have to a stay at home D man and whilst he has had an excellent season, he would not be the player you would want to anchor the whole D.

Strachan remains one of my favourite Devils simply because when he was on the ice, you knew the D was secure