12 team league

august04

It would be good to know what the structure of the league will be next year, prior to season tickets going on sale at the end of January, as Kelman has alluded to. No doubt most will renew regardless but you'd hope the EIHL board have a plan ready for next year, whether it involves 11 or 12 teams.

Ocko

Any new teams down south is only good news for us. Guildford have a rich owner so could make a real go of it, their rink holds about 2,500. Really looking forward to MK joining though, I've played in their rink and it's really nice. It had a complete refurb and is certainly better than a number of rinks in the league.

But personally would love to see a team return to Newcastle. Their arena should have been perfect for the EIHL and for whatever reason a success wasn't made of it. Hockey in the North East used to be a hotbed, such a shame they don't have any top flight up there. The EIHL is really missing a footprint in that part of the UK.

kettdevil1

Any new teams down south is only good news for us. Guildford have a rich owner so could make a real go of it, their rink holds about 2,500. Really looking forward to MK joining though, I've played in their rink and it's really nice. It had a complete refurb and is certainly better than a number of rinks in the league.

But personally would love to see a team return to Newcastle. Their arena should have been perfect for the EIHL and for whatever reason a success wasn't made of it. Hockey in the North East used to be a hotbed, such a shame they don't have any top flight up there. The EIHL is really missing a footprint in that part of the UK.
The capacity is actually a bit lower than that, about 2000 I believe, but John Hepburn might be tempted if the EPL changes significantly this Summer.

Aberdeen was mentioned a while back but that has gone quiet, whilst the other possibility would be Leeds....

Finny

Can't see Guildford joining unless they drastically change the EPL by introducing a wage cap or halve the import limit. If they did then it would either mean Belfast moving to the Northern conference (which I can't see they'd be happy about) or moving to a 3 conference system.

It would be easier for the 12th team to be Northern. As kettdevil said, Leeds would be a possibility if ready in time. Blackburn has the capacity to host an EIHL team although perhaps not the support at the moment. I think the situation with Phoenix moving to a Silverblades rink might complicate things a bit. Although I'd still be very surprised if PI/SB didn't put an EIHL team into either Blackburn or Leeds to give their Manchester Storm team a local rival.