15 years ago to the day

wildthing74

Thread starter #1
This time 15 years ago we were all going off to Tilburg for what was still for me my best ever trip with the Devils.
On the bus all we wanted was to see a goal from us over the 3 games but little did we know!What a trully amazing trip that was and one that will live with me forever.
Wonder why I had the stupid idea to stip naked and go into the freezing cold lake at the back of the hotel if we won the first game?More to the point,what did about another 30 people crazily do the same?
The sing song in the bar with Dez Corkhill leading the actions was awesome.
As Scoops said at the time"It doesn't get better than this".I think he had a point then.

drainage

wildthing74 said:
This time 15 years ago we were all going off to Tilburg for what was still for me my best ever trip with the Devils.
On the bus all we wanted was to see a goal from us over the 3 games but little did we know!What a trully amazing trip that was and one that will live with me forever.
Wonder why I had the stupid idea to stip naked and go into the freezing cold lake at the back of the hotel if we won the first game?More to the point,what did about another 30 people crazily do the same?
The sing song in the bar with Dez Corkhill leading the actions was awesome.
As Scoops said at the time"It doesn't get better than this".I think he had a point then.
I was on that trip and have to say it was the best hockey event I have ever attended - freezing cold, clearing up our own rubbish to the delight of the police/rink staff, those silly lagers with 5 inch heads of froth, Des sitting on the floor of an overcrowded coach leading the singing, hotel rooms with baths in the center off them , a certain Mr S Lyle coming on for Wood oh and the hockey - FAB !

wildthing74

Thread starter #3
Forgot about those baths made out of bricks.That was a bit weird!Also those beers you mentioned was when I discovered the local stuff 'Orangeboom' was quite good.Because they kept coming to serve us at the tables and the glasses were very small you forgot how many you had and when you got up to walk anywhere your legs were like rubber!
The party on the ice on the Saturday was bizzare also.Everybody doing a 'Klinsman' and everybody just high fiving perfect strangers.Great laugh.
Always laugh thinking back to the Sokol v Tilburg game where if memory serves we needed Sokol to win but only by 2 goals.We took turns in chanting our support for both teams.If Tilburg score we sange for Sokol and vice versa.Clearly the Dutch thought were were mental.
I wish we had thought to take photos back in those days.

Also remember the queue for the phone afterward (no mobiles then) to ring home with the news, then a certain Mr Newman came up needing the phone to put his report into the Daily Telegraph he went straight to the front with our blessing!!!

I also remember the strange party on the ice.

This was a great trip! I missed my first lecture week at Uni to go!

I can remember everyone not being too impressed with Kip Noble! Being sectioned off from the rest of the locals cos they thought we'd start trouble and then the looks on their faces as the black bags came out for the clean up!

Better still...anyone remember the singers they had and the guy trying to get us singing "Land of hope and glory"...talk about losing battle!

Wasn't there something about "Do the chicken Kiev" at one point? LOL!!

One thing that sticks out for me was seeing one of the russian goalies dive across the goal almost 2 feet off the ice! Proper football goalie save! amazing!

Those were the days eh!

wildthing74

Thread starter #8
Chelios24 said:
This was a great trip! I missed my first lecture week at Uni to go!

I can remember everyone not being too impressed with Kip Noble! Being sectioned off from the rest of the locals cos they thought we'd start trouble and then the looks on their faces as the black bags came out for the clean up!

Better still...anyone remember the singers they had and the guy trying to get us singing "Land of hope and glory"...talk about losing battle!

Wasn't there something about "Do the chicken Kiev" at one point? LOL!!

One thing that sticks out for me was seeing one of the russian goalies dive across the goal almost 2 feet off the ice! Proper football goalie save! amazing!

Those were the days eh!
Dont know what you mean about Noble?If you mean about almost killing Woody with that slapshot then fair play cos I thought that would cost us big time until a 14 year old Mr Lyle proved us wrong.Hope thats what you mean cos the guy was unreal in that tournament.End to end and by far the best player out there.
Like a groupie I and a few mates went to hunt him down on the Sunday to try and get him to sign for us.He said he would and to go and get JL!Pretty OTT but he gave me his stick and promised that hew would play for us one day.Glad he did as still one of my favourite players ever to play for us.Nobody beats Mr Ken Hodge in that department.

I can remember upon our arrival at the hotel being met by armed police who thought we were like the British Football Yobs and would cause problems.
Just reading these few messages has brought back so many memories of that wonderful weekend although I can remember my room mate (who will remain anon) waking up in the early hours of Sunday drenched in his own vomit caused by his excess consumption of VODKA oh happy days.... :roll: