20/21 Squad

Kevin roog

yep season ticket direct debits are starting on 1st April ,mines £199, wonder what we will be getting, I’m sure the club will do its best but I don’t fancy having the next 20 pre season friendlies for free

mjh

Just an observation, very interesting to see Jardine on most lists as early on in the season he was top of the list to cut loose. I saw him play mostly early on and then once or twice towards the end of the season and he was certainly a lot more composed and confident. There seems to be a player who follows this sort of pattern every season. Goes to show how patience can pay off. I hope we have Martin, Haddad, Fourns, Riley and Jardine back. Would also want our Brits and would like to see Duggan getting more ice time.

RedDevil17

Just an observation, very interesting to see Jardine on most lists as early on in the season he was top of the list to cut loose. I saw him play mostly early on and then once or twice towards the end of the season and he was certainly a lot more composed and confident. There seems to be a player who follows this sort of pattern every season. Goes to show how patience can pay off.
Goes to show what having a change in D partners can do. Having a defenceman who can actually defend allowed Jards to play his game and he looked a lot better when Morrisonn came in. He’s on my keep list for sure.

jenks33

Just an observation, very interesting to see Jardine on most lists as early on in the season he was top of the list to cut loose. I saw him play mostly early on and then once or twice towards the end of the season and he was certainly a lot more composed and confident. There seems to be a player who follows this sort of pattern every season. Goes to show how patience can pay off. I hope we have Martin, Haddad, Fourns, Riley and Jardine back. Would also want our Brits and would like to see Duggan getting more ice time.
Yeah Jardine was a liability early days. To be honest I thought he had a mistake in him all season but the second half of the season the positives certainly outweighed the negatives. I think he’s the type of player that would be class during his second season now he knows the league.

Slartibartfast

Yeah Jardine was a liability early days. To be honest I thought he had a mistake in him all season but the second half of the season the positives certainly outweighed the negatives. I think he’s the type of player that would be class during his second season now he knows the league.
Yes he struggled to find his role when he arrived. At times I thought he tried too hard to impress and made a lot of mistakes. But by mid season he had settled down and then when Morrisson arrived he started looking really good. He is a reasonably big body, usually comes out of the corners with the puck and has a decent offensive side also. While he doesn't have the magic of Sir Gleason Fournier I can see why most want him back.
I noticed noone mentioned McMonagle returning. I do feel a bit sorry for him. He has a great offensive side but I think the days of the small defensemen are almost gone. He just did not have the size to take out some of the leagues power forwards.
Louis does not have the skating or skills of McMonagle but he is big enough to close players down one on one and thats what counts in a D man.

jenks33

Yes he struggled to find his role when he arrived. At times I thought he tried too hard to impress and made a lot of mistakes. But by mid season he had settled down and then when Morrisson arrived he started looking really good. He is a reasonably big body, usually comes out of the corners with the puck and has a decent offensive side also. While he doesn't have the magic of Sir Gleason Fournier I can see why most want him back.
I noticed noone mentioned McMonagle returning. I do feel a bit sorry for him. He has a great offensive side but I think the days of the small defensemen are almost gone. He just did not have the size to take out some of the leagues power forwards.
Louis does not have the skating or skills of McMonagle but he is big enough to close players down one on one and thats what counts in a D man.
Mcmonagle’s vision on the PP is good and he’s obviously outstanding at penalty shots. In my opinion though he’s not so good that we can afford to ignore his defensive frailties. For me he looks like a forward that’s been asked to help out on D, he doesn’t have defensive instincts or the upper body strength to handle top forwards. Also he’s a smooth skater but he’s not the fastest, so when he does get himself into trouble he usually doesn’t have the pace to recover, where as somebody like Fournier does.

CaldicotDevil

Mcmonagle’s vision on the PP is good and he’s obviously outstanding at penalty shots. In my opinion though he’s not so good that we can afford to ignore his defensive frailties. For me he looks like a forward that’s been asked to help out on D, he doesn’t have defensive instincts or the upper body strength to handle top forwards. Also he’s a smooth skater but he’s not the fastest, so when he does get himself into trouble he usually doesn’t have the pace to recover, where as somebody like Fournier does.
Is he that outstanding on penalty shots? I've seen him miss more than he scored

jenks33

Is he that outstanding on penalty shots? I've seen him miss more than he scored
In all fairness I don’t think any professional player in the world (that takes penalty shots regularly) has scored more penalty shots than he’s missed. I remember seeing a stat in the NHL a couple of years ago that only about 30% of penalty shots were scored that particular season.

Kevin roog

I don’t think we lost any games on penalty shots . Mcmonagle won us games versus Coventry twice and graz, the other won away to Guildford he didn’t score but pope and haddad won it for us

voth26

He lets in a tonne of howlers too!! Am i not aloud an opinion. I guess not.

Too many times I see and hear the other teams goalie has stood on his head and that’s why we didn’t win. Well how about signing that goalie and increase our chances of winning?
Morrison has been immense and if it wasn’t for Riley scoring in the last minute he would have won fife the game down here.

Cj motte and Matt ginn have both stood on there head against us and won games for there team.

But no we keep bowns it’s ok
Ginn is such an awesome nettie and his team finished where, 8th I think. We have Bownsy who you clearly don't rate but he back stopped us to 2nd for biggest part of the season and then to the top of the pile last going off!! Kind of throws your point of Ginn being better than Bownsy out the window I think

kingmo19.1

Ginn is such an awesome nettie and his team finished where, 8th I think. We have Bownsy who you clearly don't rate but he back stopped us to 2nd for biggest part of the season and then to the top of the pile last going off!! Kind of throws your point of Ginn being better than Bownsy out the window I think
That’s a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

Kevin roog

no it doesn’t mean bowns is better than ginn, it means bowns team has a massive budget compared to storm, I’ve seen storm play with 4/5 defence , not like devils with 6 and reddick batch and mosey as spate defence man if needed

tim78

Slightly off topic I recall a Doug Smails penalty shot was pretty much straight forward shot and goal each time.

Mo had a spell of cleanly taking penalties, but for me McMonagle's were defiantly entertaining and looked more skilful.