5 coaches needed

pjj365

Thread starter #1
Interesting times ahead Fife, Dundee, Manchester, Nottingham and us all looking for coaches for next season
Any thoughts anyone?

Kevlar68

All i got to say is i hope they all know coaches that like bland British food, horrible British weather and a league that doesn't know its ass from its elbow ;)

Diablo3

Yep, listening to some of the players speaking about DuPont, why not give hime a shout if he wants it. We certainly played better when he took over, a lot more physicality (especially from Brandt ;) as he had more ice time) Seems to me he wants to have the team play the Devils way, which is always a good thing.

moggy#9

Yep, listening to some of the players speaking about DuPont, why not give hime a shout if he wants it. We certainly played better when he took over, a lot more physicality (especially from Brandt ;) as he had more ice time) Seems to me he wants to have the team play the Devils way, which is always a good thing.
I just don't understand people wanting to give Dupont the job. Yes, he won a trophy, but needed to win only three matches to do so. He's had a total of what? A month's experience as a head coach. I don't think we can afford to give him the time to develop. Dundee or Manchester would be a better fit for him. If likes someone who has real experience.

voth26

I just don't understand people wanting to give Dupont the job. Yes, he won a trophy, but needed to win only three matches to do so. He's had a total of what? A month's experience as a head coach. I don't think we can afford to give him the time to develop. Dundee or Manchester would be a better fit for him. If likes someone who has real experience.
When Lordo was given the coaches role, remind me how much coaching experience he had?

Mazzoak

Lord had the unique opportunity to learn straight from the changing room he played outta, he knew the league inside out and signed players who he either knew or from trusted recommendations. The lack of experience showed, which is expected and he was gifted a great budget and time to grow. Skalde had none of that and yes Dupont took over & we won the playoffs, but the same lack lustre issues remained. I’d say we won because the players wanted it, certainly more than they wanted the league title, Dupont was an embarrassment to the shirt as a player. Maybe he will be a successful coach, do we want a guy that played that bad taking the responsibility or is he just a good motivator who will jump when told.

voth26

Lord had the unique opportunity to learn straight from the changing room he played outta, he knew the league inside out and signed players who he either knew or from trusted recommendations. The lack of experience showed, which is expected and he was gifted a great budget and time to grow. Skalde had none of that and yes Dupont took over & we won the playoffs, but the same lack lustre issues remained. I’d say we won because the players wanted it, certainly more than they wanted the league title, Dupont was an embarrassment to the shirt as a player. Maybe he will be a successful coach, do we want a guy that played that bad taking the responsibility or is he just a good motivator who will jump when told.
But you didn't like or rate Lord as you've posted on many occasions, but now your saying Lord was inexperienced but that was to be expected!! and clearly you don't like or rate Dupont. I'd say Dupont along with Franny had some influence on the players and how they played in the playoffs, when Dupont took over the damage to the season was already done and to be fair whoever came in as interim coach experienced or not wouldn't have made any significant improvement

Mazzoak

But you didn't like or rate Lord as you've posted on many occasions, but now your saying Lord was inexperienced but that was to be expected!! and clearly you don't like or rate Dupont. I'd say Dupont along with Franny had some influence on the players and how they played in the playoffs, when Dupont took over the damage to the season was already done and to be fair whoever came in as interim coach experienced or not wouldn't have made any significant improvement
Oh stop with the “you don’t like” crap. We are discussing their abilities not their personalities.

I’ve made many many comments stating Lords inexperience previously. He was inexperienced and lacked in many ways. I don’t have a problem with Lord at all, I’m just stating i don’t rate him as a coach many here do. I think the Devils was his peak, he’s repeated the same trait in Swamp Vile, started strong with his known guys, now each yr he’s going backwards. I’ve stated he recruits using his black box of player contacts and friend network, he lacked a plan B in many games.
Dupont l can only go on his playing abilities as he’s not coached yet, and as a player for the Devils he was dire, no or do you think he was.

ASHIPP

It's probable that many coaches, irrespective of experience are going to recruit some players they either know, have been on teams they have previously coached (or played on) or are recommended to them. That's how they build their core. It's naive to think they wouldn't use those obvious methods.

Can't imagine Keefe for instance would have ignored some help or influence from the Maple Leafs organisation...doesn't he have a family member on the coaching staff there;)

zoesdevil

I raise you Andrew Lord. Never coached a team before & became one of our most successful coaches. If the players want to play for him & like his style of play, then why not give him a go??

The_Stick_

Adam Keefe, the most successful current EIHL coach, is yet to win a playoff trophy as Head Coach. Regardless of if DuPont has coached for 1 month or 10 years, he has still done what a lot of coaches in the EIHL have not. If the players respect the coach, and is getting the most out of his players (I raise you Cole Sanford and Riley Brandt) why not give him a full season now he knows the league and what it takes to win. I’d rather that than have another transitional year with an unknown coach who could turn out to be a total bust. But again that’s just my opinion

Devil94

Just a little coaching experience within this league is worth more than years of experience outside of it, I think. I can't remember the last experienced coach that came new to this league and did well. But many have failed.

He might have been a head coach for only 8 games, but we shouldn't discount the experience he gained being an assistant space either. And let's not forget also he was in charge when we beat Lausanne in the CHL earlier in the year.

Mooney#16

I think let’s be honest the Cardiff Devils have never been a team with the most orthodox of paths to coaching and it’s worked out so many times before. I think some are forgetting our history. Off the shelf coaches ain’t this clubs bag at all.

Rookie Coaches:

Lawless - Player Coach turned coach. Raw when he arrived at Devils.

Heavey - Devils were his first coaching job

Ed Patterson - Devils were first coaching job.

Gerald Adam’s - Devils were first coaching job

Andrew Lord - Devils were first coaching job.

Established coach’s:

Brian Kanewisher. Came and went

Jon Griffith. Came and went.

Troy Walkington. Came and went

Dave Whistle. Came and went.

Having a coach who is committed and passionate is worth way more than any coaching experience. Now it’s TKs decision to make but I wouldn’t be so keen to throw the arguments around that Cardiff Devils need an established coach. That’s being forgetful of the Devils DNA. You look at Pacha’s opening interview as CEO and he’s talking about regaining the Panthers identity. Devils would do well to not forget theirs.

pjj365

Thread starter #19
Oh stop with the “you don’t like” crap. We are discussing their abilities not their personalities.

I’ve made many many comments stating Lords inexperience previously. He was inexperienced and lacked in many ways. I don’t have a problem with Lord at all, I’m just stating i don’t rate him as a coach many here do. I think the Devils was his peak, he’s repeated the same trait in Swamp Vile, started strong with his known guys, now each yr he’s going backwards. I’ve stated he recruits using his black box of player contacts and friend network, he lacked a plan B in many games.
Dupont l can only go on his playing abilities as he’s not coached yet, and as a player for the Devils he was dire, no or do you think he was.
FYI Lord is not recruiting like he did in Cardiff - that's not his role in the ECHL and he's marking time if not moving forward