COACHING

BostonBart22

Thread starter #1
since lordo has started playing again we have lost that spark i think from the bench, nothing against lords playing ability but we really need him on the bench as a full time coach, even if we got that one injury at the moment i would rather play short and have the coach stay on the bench ...starting tomorrow.

terry hunt

I agree with these posts in principle but i think it goes deeper than that.
Our competitors started off with player/coaches but realised it is not adequate in the EIHL now it has improved.
To get success we need a more professional setup with the first consideration being an experienced defence coach.
Better players than Lord have done this.
Walser has Stewart ,Thommo has his scandinavian, Neilson has Strachan other teams have also strengthened their coaching teams.

It would be nice to know what authority Jamie Elsom has on the bench when Lord is on the ice, can he change the lines? Can he change tactics? Can he call time outs? Or is he just a suited figure to show we have a bench coach

august04

Our coaching set up is woefully inadequate compared to the likes of Sheffield, Belfast and Nottingham. The days of the player coach in this league are coming to an end, certainly for any team that wants to win silverware. Lord isn't doing either particularly well at the moment and he needs to take up the coaching reigns full time now and bring his playing career to an end. I'd rather him be behind the bench even if we're playing an import short. Even with him behind the bench, he needs a far more experienced coach alongside him than Jamie Elson. It's clear we need an experienced assistant to help Lord out. I also think the players need their space in the dressing room from their coach. It's not always easy to relax and have banter when your boss is in the room. There needs to be a healthy distance between players and coaches.

It would be nice to know what authority Jamie Elsom has on the bench when Lord is on the ice, can he change the lines? Can he change tactics? Can he call time outs? Or is he just a suited figure to show we have a bench coach
Got to agree with this totally, at least with franny we had someone that had played the game at that level, knew a players strengths (down to his recruitment involvement) knew the league well. Now we have neither and we're struggling as a result of it.

If we want to be also rans again, then stay as we are, but if we want to be strong contenders then the change on the bench needs to be done now. I'm fine with Lord as a player or a coach, but not both, and he needs someone next to him that's played the game at least to that level, otherwise it's just the same old also rans that we've been for many years. We've got the team to compete, now we need the bench to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

There is no getting away from the facts. The successful teams at the mo have strong,experienced bench coaches to support the head coach. Each has a role and shares accountability. Strachan at Panthers, Andersson at Steelers, Wilson at Giants. Where is Lordo's support? We simply don't have that.

Franny is being sorely missed on the bench. Players don't seem secure in their roles. This is backed up by most of the goals being scored by defence players.

Devil_Abroad

Our coaching set up is woefully inadequate compared to the likes of Sheffield, Belfast and Nottingham. The days of the player coach in this league are coming to an end, certainly for any team that wants to win silverware. Lord isn't doing either particularly well at the moment and he needs to take up the coaching reigns full time now and bring his playing career to an end. I'd rather him be behind the bench even if we're playing an import short. Even with him behind the bench, he needs a far more experienced coach alongside him than Jamie Elson. It's clear we need an experienced assistant to help Lord out. I also think the players need their space in the dressing room from their coach. It's not always easy to relax and have banter when your boss is in the room. There needs to be a healthy distance between players and coaches.
Disagree with most of this. Not sure about the Elson comment as I don't know his coaching background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

Got to agree with this totally, at least with franny we had someone that had played the game at that level, knew a players strengths (down to his recruitment involvement) knew the league well. Now we have neither and we're struggling as a result of it.

If we want to be also rans again, then stay as we are, but if we want to be strong contenders then the change on the bench needs to be done now. I'm fine with Lord as a player or a coach, but not both, and he needs someone next to him that's played the game at least to that level, otherwise it's just the same old also rans that we've been for many years. We've got the team to compete, now we need the bench to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
But wasn't he the bench coach for a while until we started getting injuries? Now he has to play because of the injuries?

I'd suggest 80%-90% of the coaching goes on during the week? Analysing our own videos to put right on the ice in practice during the week what we failed to do in previous game. Also looking at videos of opponents for the weekend to work out how to nullify their best players and plays.

The rest is then the bench coach to make the fine adjustments necessary whilst the game is ongoing? Elson and the video guys can also jump in at period breaks to advise what they been seeing?

Devil_Abroad

There is no getting away from the facts. The successful teams at the mo have strong,experienced bench coaches to support the head coach. Each has a role and shares accountability. Strachan at Panthers, Andersson at Steelers, Wilson at Giants. Where is Lordo's support? We simply don't have that.
Are we joint top of the league at the moment? Granted that we're struggling to qualify for the cup but winning our last two games gets us to the knockout stage.

So which teams are more successful again?