Devils Vs Flyers - 21 Nov 18 - League

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1

Another home game another Flyers game. This is the third and final home league game against them and its only November. Devils will also hopefully be icing their new player Drew Schiestel. I hope they've pre-warned him we're not booing him :)

Devils86

Let’s build on the weekend and get another 2 points tonight boys. Won’t be easy against the Flyers as we have seen this year already - we should be up to avenge the OT loss a fortnight ago.

Be difficult to replicate atmosphere from Saturday given it’s a mid-week fixture against the Flyers who understandably won’t bring that many tonight, but hopefully with the ticket promo we can still pack a few in.

Excited to see Drew skate, although my expectations are somewhat tempered given he only trained with us for the first time yesterday.

Let’s Go Devils!

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

Welcome back Cardiff Devils. The final scoreline did not reflect the game. Although Fife looked really good, Devils were the far stronger team. Clinical passing, great cycling, physical at times, all players supporting each other defensively, just an all round great team performance.
Everyone played well but a special mention has to go Charles Linglet. I knew we were going to see something very special from him eventually and tonight we saw it. Amazing goal.
Joey Haddad was outstanding also and Im real impressed with Sam Duggan.
Schiestel looked very composed and has some pretty fancy skating and stick handling moves also.
Pope who has been quiet lately also looked like he has his mojo back.
Even though this wasn't a big margin win I feel the huge excitement I had about this team a month or two ago.
I think we can declare the slump officially over. Now lets take the league.

Devils86

3-2 win. Little bit closer than would have preferred. Devils had a lot of chances in front of net and should have been out of sight.

No Richardson or Ulmer tonight, and we missed someone like Ulmer to tuck away a couple more.

I thought Bryce threw himself around well and finished all his checks. Bownsy had a decent game although may want the second back - will need to see it on highlights. Again the saves he makes, which he arguably shouldn’t, outweigh the ones he may want back.

Linglet had a great game for me - but more promising is that the line seems to be learning how his mind works and a bit of chemistry was eeking into our play.

Don’t think anybody had a bad game - the D were very accomplished on the puck. In recent weeks have felt we have been vulnerable on the break but tonight seemed more secure - Mosey and Drew seem good additions. Drew in particular if he is going to improve with training and getting a bit sharper.

Overall I thought we were better on the puck tonight than recently - getting back to pre-slump levels - but still work to do.

Good game, good win. Onwards!

Devils86

Welcome back Cardiff Devils. The final scoreline did not reflect the game. Although Fife looked really good, Devils were the far stronger team. Clinical passing, great cycling, physical at times, all players supporting each other defensively, just an all round great team performance.
Everyone played well but a special mention has to go Charles Linglet. I knew we were going to see something very special from him eventually and tonight we saw it. Amazing goal.
Joey Haddad was outstanding also and Im real impressed with Sam Duggan.
Schiestel looked very composed and has some pretty fancy skating and stick handling moves also.
Pope who has been quiet lately also looked like he has his mojo back.
Even though this wasn't a big margin win I feel the huge excitement I had about this team a month or two ago.
I think we can declare the slump officially over. Now lets take the league.
Spot on. Now to chase down the Giants. A long way to go and a win like that tonight against a top Flyers team (without Richardson or Ulmer) shows that we are getting our mojo back. Now to turn these games-in-hand into points.

Earnie

As Start'fast said the score did not really reflect the game. We were in control.
Drew did fine for a first game and shows promise of some style when he gets going. Pope was more lively and Louis was Louis. Linglet is something else! Everyone played their part. The Devils are back and are now in second place in the League Table.
Well done guys.

Foxy

Welcome back Devils.

Linglet coming into his own and his vision and skill are coming together. Don't know whether its his line mates catching up mind lol He has got a very quick ice hockey brain.

Like the look of Schiestel (hope i've spelt that right). Obviously not match fit but vision, skating and stick handling look really good.
Cant believe we've got one player in and two out lol

Couldn't fault the work ethic of the whole team tonight althought i think they'd want the shorthanded back.

bdevil

Worth pointing out that now we have all imports fit we have a spare and someone had to sit tonight. Don’t know if Ulmer was injured or just rested but it made sense that it was a forward so sit out due to Richie not playing..

terry hunt

Not wishing to pour cold water on a cracking game of hockey but.......
We took control of the game at 3-0 then stopped concentrating allowing Fife back in the game.
The Flyers never quit and play 60mins every game.Crowder was out of the game mostly the allowed him to put in a superb pass to set up a goal.I suspect this bad habit of ours is the reason Lordo was so angry at the end of the game.I await his interview with interest.

Rich Best

Solid, solid performance. Controlled the game on the whole. I thought the defence was very organised. Although the shot count the first two periods was relatively even, we had almost all the Grade A chances and Owens made some top saves again.

Linglet is definitely now in his groove, we have seen glimpses of brilliance all season but he is now clearly playing with more confidence and in a more direct manner. What a player! Shooting up the scoring charts, I can see this guy leading the league this season. He is a different class.

I thought Mo had one of his best games tonight, seemed to play more physical than usual and was a constant menace.

Shiestel looks a real pick up to me. Considering he has only trained once or twice with the team, seems to be a very good skater, positionally very sound and glimpses of AHL standard skill, vision and stick handling! Looking forward to seeing how this guy plays when he is match fit!

august04

Funny old game that. We dominated large parts and should have been out of sight, only for Flyers to make it relatively uncomfortable right at the end. Linglet is worth the entrance fee alone, head and shoulders above any other player in this league.

Gazza272

That game for me was extremely positive for our forward lines.

the top two lines looked like they were going to score every time they were on the ice, and lines 3 and 4 had fife pinned back more often then not, not allowing them to build any momentum.

Tip of the hat to Matthew Myers who has been given more responsibility in the last few weeks and hasn't looked a bit out of place. He is a real gem that guy, and one day when we sadly lose him, I'm not sure how we will replace him.

Also we would have had a cricket score if it wasn't for Shane Owen, that guy is a stud of a goalie and a big reason why Fife have had such a good start to the year.

Ocko

Good win and an entertaining fast game. Linglet is really finding his feet and is some player, it's like he's playing a different game to everyone else. When he's like that he is unplayable and his stats are starting to really prove it - I think he is 8 points ahead of anyone else on our roster in EIHL games. As much as I think the line combinations are starting to work, I'd love to see Linglet and Martin together, even if just for a few shifts (imagine if we has Hotham with them too :eek:). Kudos to Louis for the fight too, a good win for him and up to 4 fights already, more than his previous two seasons and it's still November.

Owen kept Fife in it, a few little mistakes let them back in but we were good value for the win. I like what Fife bring as opposition though, they are fast and physical despite not having stacks of toughness - proves knuckes dont necessarily make you physical.

bb1

Big difference since Belfast game.

Linglet.....wow, he's our best player by far. Absolutely unplayable at times.

Have to say I have been his biggest critic but Pope did show up last night and showed what he is capable of when he takes the handbrake off. Hope this continues!
Mo also had one of his best games and Reddick, man that guy just gives you everything like Faryna and Dixon.

Credit to Fife, Bulmer dropped the mitts with Louis to try and change the game which is something I feel we need to do more often when we go down.

Shiestel looks like he will be solid when he gets to grips with our systems and style of play. In fact he had a far better debut than Strachan did.....say no more atm.

Hedden looks out of sorts and is not the same player of 4 weeks ago......injury niggle maybe?

Overall cracking performance and very entertaining 1st period. Long may it continue.

Score line a lot closer than it should have been, we were in total control for 95% of that game, Hedden I think desperately needs a goal then I think the flood gates could open for him, Schiestel looked ok but obviously needs a few more games to get up to speed.

Overall a goodish win, keeps the win streak going and that will only add confidence, does anybody with a better knowledge than me know why we shorten our bench against short benched or 3 line teams? I don't remember Faryna, Rutkis or Moore getting a shift in the 3rd period, I think Rutkis only got 1 shift in the entire game, Lord always talks about being relentless, well surely rolling 4 lines against shorter benched teams is the way of doing it?

jenks33

Overall it was a very positive performance. I agree with Lordo’s comments (I thought we started slow and the last nine minutes weren’t great) but for about 40/45 minutes of that game we looked good and Owen needed to be at his best.

Biggest pluses for me were Bowns, Pope and Haddad. In my opinion Bowns has struggled at times this season but I thought his confidence looked back last night. His stick work, rebound control and general movement in the crease looked a lot sharper than it did a couple of weeks ago. It’s a shame he didn’t go on to get the shutout he deserved but he wasn’t at fault for either goal. In our recent slump I thought Pope’s lack of confidence really stood out but he was impressive last night.

Only negative for me was that second Fife goal. There were a couple of very poor decisions on that goal but I suppose our form and confidence is still a work in progress

Gazza272

Score line a lot closer than it should have been, we were in total control for 95% of that game, Hedden I think desperately needs a goal then I think the flood gates could open for him, Schiestel looked ok but obviously needs a few more games to get up to speed.

Overall a goodish win, keeps the win streak going and that will only add confidence, does anybody with a better knowledge than me know why we shorten our bench against short benched or 3 line teams? I don't remember Faryna, Rutkis or Moore getting a shift in the 3rd period, I think Rutkis only got 1 shift in the entire game, Lord always talks about being relentless, well surely rolling 4 lines against shorter benched teams is the way of doing it?
We didn't shorten it until Fife got their goal, and I think Lord was conscious that a capitulation of a 3 goal lead didn't need to be risked. But certainly for the first 10 minutes of the third period, Faryna, Duggan, Myers, Haddad etc were getting rolled on a regular rotation.

jenks33

Agree with you about Hedden. If he gets going it will be a massive boost for this team. Hopefully a goal or two will do that. I remember Lordo's interview in the summer regarding Hedden, I think he genuinely thought Hedden would be a contender for league MVP. It's still early enough for this to happen but I think it's fair to say that he needs to have a great second half of the season. To be fair I thought he was arguably our best player in the CHL so we know it's there