Devils dual national playing for GB

Thread starter #1
well it's almost four years since we've had a core of returning players, what's the likely hood of any them accepting Dual nationality and playing for Recently promoted Great Britain in order to bolster our squad. We all know that our capt Jake Mo is a dual national but Some of our core may well be eligible for nationality and the prospect of Lordo in the GB coaching set up would be a huge and nothing less than he deserves.

Any thoughts please.

Last edited:

JC23

well it's almost four since we've had a core of returning players, what's the likely hood of any them accepting Dual nationality and playing for Recently promoted Great Britain in order to bolster our squad. We all know that our capt Jake Mo is a dual national but Some of our core may well be eligible for nationality and the prospect of Lordo in the GB coaching set up would be a huge and nothing less than he deserves.

Any thoughts please.
I know that Lordo has expressed an interest in becoming a part of GB in the past.

I’m not entirely sure what the rules are on dual nationals for GB. I mean for instance, Dougie Clarkson could have laced them up for GB given that he’s half(?) Scottish, but never got given the chance. So who knows...

Thread starter #3
We had a couple of dual nationals playing at World Championship this year and they were unable to play in the EIHL as a GB player because they had trained abroad so technically the best dual national players could join in, also Lordo could be spared any more nightmares about Hotham & Co getting getting their visa's.

On a side note has anybody got any news about our youth development players that are coming through and hopefully will play for GB. really loved Lordo's idea about the respective conferences assembling youth teams to play against each other on a regular basis "pure genius"

ASHIPP

Surely the decision to take up dual nationality is a personal one and not always based on the prospect of being selected for Team GB! Players might have British wives or partners, or other family members who live here. Dual nationality is useful if you plan on staying together!

Upside of dual nationals is that they bring quality and different experience to the national team...Evan Mosey a great contributor already. Corey Neilson himself has played for GB. 20 years ago Team GB's success was largely down to the Canadian born players.

Now, the downside would be that the sport is starting to bring through some good young British players who may miss out on an opportunity to break into the senior team because duals are there.
Bottom line is who is good enough to make it through training camp in the eyes of the coaches.

Thread starter #5
Surely the decision to take up dual nationality is a personal one and not always based on the prospect of being selected for Team GB! Players might have British wives or partners, or other family members who live here. Dual nationality is useful if you plan on staying together!

Upside of dual nationals is that they bring quality and different experience to the national team...Evan Mosey a great contributor already. Corey Neilson himself has played for GB. 20 years ago Team GB's success was largely down to the Canadian born players.

Now, the downside would be that the sport is starting to bring through some good young British players who may miss out on an opportunity to break into the senior team because duals are there.
Bottom line is who is good enough to make it through training camp in the eyes of the coaches.
Agreed that the decision to take up dual nationality is a personal one but it is one that may be influenced by job opportunities etc, I was pleased to see nottingham sign Perlini and Evan Mosey I would really love to see both brothers also in the GB team, I wonder if this was one of the reasons they both signed for the panthers and GB coach Corey, I would also like to see both perlini brothers and Nathan Walker Cardiff's very own Welsh born NHL player although I was interested to see Australia claim him as their own.

John Lawless, Hope, McEwen and Moria? all had great careers playing in the UK which was of course helped by their dual nationalities. Hopefully Ice Hockey will continue to improve to in the UK and more talent would be needed but the dual nationals could be used to maintain our international rankings.

Nathan Walker wasn't exactly in Cardiff for a major part of his life so it makes sense that he would play for Australia instead. And also it wouldn't really make sense that everyone hypes up the first Australian Nhler and then he turns out to be playing for GB.

Thread starter #7
GB rank 24th vs Australia 33rd also elite prospects lists his birth place as Cardiff South Wales not New South Wales plus he has expressed a desire to play for Cardiff, so come on Corey make the call lock him in with team GB.

Ocko

True but Corey is assistant coach and the chance to play for your country could be too good to miss.
He actually considers himself Australian.

And also the IIHF tournaments clash with the NHL schedule so the chances of him ever playing for GB any time soon are close to zero.

Why would he risk injury playing for GB, he’s playing against the worlds best already, he has to be polite when being interviewed, I’d take any opinions with a pinch of salt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread starter #13
The 2018 olympics are going to be interesting! the NHL are not releasing players the Russians are banned! maybe ts time to bet on Finland or Sweden this time.

GB rank 24th vs Australia 33rd also elite prospects lists his birth place as Cardiff South Wales not New South Wales plus he has expressed a desire to play for Cardiff, so come on Corey make the call lock him in with team GB.
Nathan Walker has already played in the World Championships for Australia.

He's not gonna say that he never wants to play for cardiff though, that would be stupid.